Idaho killings

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I still think the public needs to know why she has been cleared.
These takes are so dumb. People listen to podcasts and go to Reddit and suddenly think they are involved in the case. This isn’t entertainment and you aren’t some master sleuth. How about we let the fbi and the state Catch a killer and more importantly convict them.
Leaking all the info to the public so Reddit nerds don’t doxx people is ridiculous

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Also lived in very close proximity to Welch during school. Post bar-close, at that age, was pure bliss. Always had people coming and going. Not uncommon to wake-up in the wee hours of the night to people still drinking/partying in the house/apartment. Completely different mindset during your college years, which makes it difficult to put into perspective now.
I lived on Welch my Senior year. We never locked our door. It was an afterthought.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
This is from an earlier post of mine. Now it looks like the answer is the surviving roommate, D.M. was on the 2nd floor when the murder occurred. Looks like there are 2 bedrooms in the basement.

Is there another unidentified roommate that wasn't present that night? (6 bedrooms/Ethan didn't live there)

Weren't the two survivors sleeping on the lower level? Male/Female couple were on ground level (2nd floor) and two girls were up on third level? If the survivor was down in the first level, looking out her door, it's possible the killer didn't see her as he was walking across the second level out the sliding door, even though she was looking up at him.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
These takes are so dumb. People listen to podcasts and go to Reddit and suddenly think they are involved in the case. This isn’t entertainment and you aren’t some master sleuth. How about we let the fbi and the state Catch a killer and more importantly convict them.
Leaking all the info to the public so Reddit nerds don’t doxx people is ridiculous
Yeah. Maybe the defense attorney needs to know (because it may be exculpatory), but the public doesn’t need to know

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

There is nothing to clear her of.
The more I think about this story the more I understand how it is possible it went so long without a roommate calling 911.

I lived at a cliche "party house" on Knapp St in Ames during school; we never locked our doors and even allowed a local "canner" to use our backdoor straight to the basement to take all the cans from parties after the weekend; half the time we never even knew when he went down there. I can think of various times I didn't have a clue who was strolling in the house after bar-close at 2am as we often had out of town friends visiting that we hadn't all met. That poor girl was probably caught in a mix of confusion, fear, and disbelief that caused a delay in making the call.
And there was literally another random visitor 15 min prior.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Which is more likely, that he was some weird houseguest or was a murderer killing most of the people in your house? Not with what you know now, but if you were in a party house that had decent traffic which is more likely; the houseguest. Easy to armchair QB this situation, but a lot less easy when you are in it.

Exactly. We are looking at this knowing the details and the whole picture. She's experiencing this bit by bit in a party house late at night on a weekend. I would almost bet money she felt things were off and then talked herself out of it with that exact rationale afterward. It's just a weird guest or creepy doordash dude, not someone committing a crime.

Reactions: BCClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
@BCClone @cowgirl836 (Sorry, I can't get my quote function to work)

I get what you are saying, but she explicitly said in the Affidavit she was frozen in fear. That wouldn't be the case if you just thought it was a houseguest.

I can understand your theory on what happened completely. I lived in a fraternity and can recall many nights being asleep/intoxicated and hearing things going on in the hallways that didn't fully register with me. But I can't make it make sense with what was said in the Affidavit.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Walden4Prez

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Weren't the two survivors sleeping on the lower level? Male/Female couple were on ground level (2nd floor) and two girls were up on third level? If the survivor was down in the first level, looking out her door, it's possible the killer didn't see her as he was walking across the second level out the sliding door, even though she was looking up at him.

The affidavit from Law Enforcement said "D.M. stated she originally went to sleep in her bed on the southeast side of the 2nd floor. She was awoken at about 4 a.m."

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

I get what you are saying, but she explicitly said in the Affidavit she was frozen in fear. That wouldn't be the case if you just thought it was a houseguest.

I can understand your theory on what happened completely. I lived in a fraternity and can recall many nights being asleep/intoxicated and hearing things going on in the hallways that didn't full register with me. But I can't make it make sense with what was said in the Affidavit.
The affidavit actually says "frozen shock phase". It's fair to assume that means fear, but it also could mean she didn't understand what was happening and saw a random dude in the house and went to go lock her door

Reactions: MJ29 and cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I can understand your theory on what happened completely. I lived in a fraternity and can recall many nights being asleep/intoxicated and hearing things going on in the hallways that didn't full register with me. But I can't make it make sense with what was said in the Affidavit.
I give a little more leeway to a female in this situation also. I am not being sexist here, but I guess you could say that, because this dude may be scrawnier, but is still fairly tall and bigger than most women. Most women I know don't like to encounter unknown men, when alone at night. As a man, rape is not something I've ever really had to worry much about, if any. It is something that the average woman has to be on her toes about in these weird situations. While it may just be a houseguest, she doesn't know if he is going to come in and try something on her. I've heard that a high percentage of women have been sexually assaulted in their life, being male, it's not something I can relate to honestly, so I am assuming stuff here.

• Winner
Reactions: MJ29 and cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The affidavit actually says "frozen shock phase". It's fair to assume that means fear, but it also could mean she didn't understand what was happening and saw a random dude in the house and went to go lock her door

And maybe I misread but I bet bk didn't even see her. It seemed like door was cracked and he came down hall/stairs toward her door and to sliding door but she probably wasn't visible from his perspective. Totally can see her freezing/going into shock as her thinking brain adds it up to say something really really bad is happening and then brain just shuts down for her survival. Rationalizes that it's not what she may think and then stays locked in her room, possibly passing out.

Reactions: MJ29

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
And maybe I misread but I bet bk didn't even see her. It seemed like door was cracked and he came down hall/stairs toward her door and to sliding door but she probably wasn't visible from his perspective. Totally can see her freezing/going into shock as her thinking brain adds it up to say something really really bad is happening and then brain just shuts down for her survival. Rationalizes that it's not what she may think and then stays locked in her room, possibly passing out.

I used to really wonder about freezing in a situation. In airline disasters they say passengers will just freeze in their seats instead of getting out. (This can be helped by mentally planning an escape from what I read)

I had this happen on a very small level. Baseball game sitting on the third base line. A bunch of little league kids were around me. I jokingly said they're in charge of making sure I don't get nailed with a ball. They all had gloves....

A screamer comes right at my head. I flipping froze and watched it fly 6 inches from my face. Just the most odd feeling....

I can only imagine how the person reacted in a murder situation

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
And honestly in the grand scheme of things, would it have mattered if she called 911 right away? I know that wouldn’t have been her thought process but I’m just wondering how that changes anything. Maaaybe they’re able to catch him right away but they likely didn’t have enough LE at 4:30 AM to lock a perimeter down or anything. Unless that would help people like @ClonesTwenty1 sleep at night knowing the <21 year old college girl didn’t orchestrate the quadruple murder of her roommates

NWtornado

Dec 20, 2021
Why? The police have obviously done their investigations and cleared her. Just because people are curious, doesn’t require them to fill in the blanks for the general public.

Yes it is a head scratcher at this point but I think the public has to trust the process(copyright M. Campbell) at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy and tim_redd

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

We now know 4 people were murdered in the house that night.

But if you are:
  1. A college student
  2. Live in a town that doesn't have a lot of violent crime, let alone murders
  3. Are slightly inebriated
  4. Understand with 4 other roommates that people can come & go 24 hours a day.
  5. Know there are 5 other people in the home (assuming she knows Ethan Chapin is there)
  6. Have a room door that has locked entry
It is pretty reasonable that she would not want to confront the person, but just shut her door and lock it. If she didn't hear any shouting or loud noises in home, she might have discounted the interaction and went to sleep.

The part I struggle with is one of the surviving roommates called friends over the next afternoon because one of the victims would not wake up. I thought the coroner said all the victims were stabbed. One would think there would have been blood. I will be curious if that victim was found in a common area of home vs. bedroom. Could that victim have been meeting door dash guy and surprised BK. So he choked (sleeper hold) her to quiet her and then stabbed her?

In response to why didn't BK attack the girl if he realized she saw him. He might have surprised all the other victims, so they weren't able to fight back, only able to respond defensively. To attack the witness if they were separated by distance, brings up greater risk to him. Especially if she locks her door and immediately calls police or starts screaming and wakes neighbors. It was probably the prudent thing for BK to get out of there quickly.

It is a crazy case and will be interesting if BK ever talks because he admits guilt, or he goes to his grave claiming innocence. It would be interesting to know his timeline inside the house and did he intend to kill all 4 upfront or just 1 or 2 and the other died because of random events. He couldn't have expected Door Dash at 4am!

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I lived on Welch my Senior year. We never locked our door. It was an afterthought.
Yeah the backdoor to my house in Ames was never locked, front door was unlocked most of the time. And we had a hole drilled in the garage that you could push the opener through with a key sitting right there in case it did get locked.

Reactions: GMackey32

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

He was wearing surgical gloves around his parents home and dropping off trash into his neighbors bins.

Guy is guilty AF.

Guy does this but left the knife sheath with DNA, was spotted by an eyewitness at the crime scene, and took his phone on 12+ recon missions to the scene including going back the next day. Thinks he's MUCH smarter than he actually is.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
And honestly in the grand scheme of things, would it have mattered if she called 911 right away? I know that wouldn’t have been her thought process but I’m just wondering how that changes anything. Maaaybe they’re able to catch him right away but they likely didn’t have enough LE at 4:30 AM to lock a perimeter down or anything. Unless that would help people like @ClonesTwenty1 sleep at night knowing the <21 year old college girl didn’t orchestrate the quadruple murder of her roommates

The fact that she reports it being quiet after he left tells me they were dead. The Uvalde victims could make phone calls and cry out as they bled out.

Help Support Us

Become a patron