I want this guy

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
In an effort to promote discussion, I copied my reply from a previous thread. (sorry if I end up boring some of you)

The hottest coach out there is Steve Kragthorpe @Tulsa. Tulsa is the smallest D-1 football program in the US and he has done well there. In the three years prior to his arrival, Tulsa had won only seven games total and had been in a long rut w/ football success. In his first season, Kragthorpe won eight games and went to a bowl. In year three, Tulsa won nine games, a conference title and a bowl game. This season, Tulsa is 7-1 and appears to be on its way to the C-USA title game again.

Kragthorpe is a second generation coach whose father actually brought the high powered BYU offense out west to LaVell Edwards from Tulsa in the early '70's.

Kragthorpe was the OC @aTm in the mid-'90's and was part of a Big 12 title under RC Slocum. He actually coached a game in Ames in 1996.
From aTm, Kragthorpe went to the Buffalo Bills and was the QB coach there for several years before coming to Tulsa. He is currently making $400,000 annually and has a contract through 2010. UNC is coming after him hard.

He knows the Big 12, he knows Texas and Oklahoma for recruiting and his game plans are complimented as being diverse w/ much screen action and TE use. Last season, Tulsa had a AA TE. Defensively, he runs a 3-3-5 scheme and he has already seen one of his DC's get a HC job.Todd Graham @Rice. (he is the uncle of Shane Graham, an 02 recruit who turned us down after verballing).

If we can get this guy, I buy more than the five tickets I currently purchase and I instantly join the Cardinal Club at a minimum!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Looking at Basketball for a moment...didn't most of us want one of those coaches that look a "little engine that could" team into the NCAA dance and made waves? Not all that many were high on G-Mac, many bashed his recruiting when we hired him.

And now look today - G-Mac has proved he can recruit and there never was a question of his coaching abilities. I know McDermott has yet to coach a game for ISU - but I think Pollard made an excellent decision here.

So I am not going to speculate or wish about any coach - at all. If we have an opening, I'll have complete faith in Pollard to find the right guy for the players, recruiting and the future of the program. A winning combination there will please any fan - regardless of the guy's name, past record or where he came from.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Not going to disagree w/ you. In fact, you are right! I too trust JP but I see no problem w/ giving info. on a guy I would like to see us take a shot at. Most people here may like the info.
You made it sound like I should not be doing that. Sorry if I took you wrong!

Again, your thought was spot on about JP and G-Mac. I just see no harm in conjecture as long as we know that is what it is!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You did take it wrong. I'll never say ya can't put forth some effort and pimp a guy you'd like to see in Ames.

I don't want fans to get false hope though, get their hearts set on one or two guys like we did with basketball - then be "disappointed" when Pollard goes another way.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Agreed! I see what you are saying.

Good point on the disappointment deal. I hope that does not happen!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron