I predict Pollard will seize the moment and Extend Campbell...

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I have absolutely no information whatsoever, but if there will be a raise/extension/funds for staff, I would expect it this week/weekend. Pollard tends to move fast on these things, and with so many jobs now looking for coaches, it makes even more sense to wrap this up quickly to avoid the unnecessary attention/drama. I have to think Pollard has had a proposal ready for a while and simply needs to share with CMC and his family, and perhaps tweak a bit. Pollard knows the market, what ISU can pay, and what the impact / consequences are of losing CMC. Not hearing anything over the next 10 days would concern me a bit, but really think this gets done (and quickly at that).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Conventional thinking says that you need to give your head coach a raise and extension to show the recruits that he is staying.

However, as long as a coach has more than a few years on his contract, it could be argued that not taking a raise and extension is a stronger statement that the coach is staying.

I could see Campbell in a recruit's home talking about all the other coaches who take a big raise and still jump at the next offer of a bigger paycheck, but "I put my money where my mouth is in terms of being committed to players I recruit because we are building something special in Ames, Iowa."

why in the **** would you even tempt fate?

Jesus Christ, for the results the guy has achieved at a place with absolutely zero tradition success location, is pretty amazing. He’s also underpaid for results achieved.

pay him as the top level coach he is. because someone else will.

thank god we have a smarter ad than fan base.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
That doesn't mean he didn't take accountability. Did you consider maybe the kicker wasn't supposed to kick it to him? I agree ST were hot garbage this year but I don't see your claim of Campbell skating his duties.

Funny story: My HS team was kicking off in a playoff game. I instructed the kicker to hard squib left because a dangerous returner was deep on the right side. On same kickoff, our best contain guy on the right side had just had a long run for a TD. He needed a break. I thought no big deal, we are squibbing hard left. So what does my kicker do? Kick deep right to VERY FAST returner who scored a TD getting outside of my substitute contain guy. Defensive Coordinator looked at me like he wanted me dead.
We ask him why he did that? Answer, "I missed"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I continue to only be worried about Notre Dame opening in the college ranks and a good NFL job like say the Chiefs to draw Campbell away from ISU.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Funny story: My HS team was kicking off in a playoff game. I instructed the kicker to hard squib left because a dangerous returner was deep on the right side. On same kickoff, our best contain guy on the right side had just had a long run for a TD. He needed a break. I thought no big deal, we are squibbing hard left. So what does my kicker do? Kick deep right to VERY FAST returner who scored a TD getting outside of my substitute contain guy. Defensive Coordinator looked at me like he wanted me dead.

They should have fired you on the spot and deported you to Tasmania for not coaching the kid properly.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Some of you people are crazy. Coach has done amazing here even if there was some disappointment this year. The best thing for a place like ISU is to get some continuity with the coaching staff. Improvement is never perfectly linear.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I continue to only be worried about Notre Dame opening in the college ranks and a good NFL job like say the Chiefs to draw Campbell away from ISU.

Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, or Penn State are my possible schools. Just guessing though.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How so?

The loss the other night was rinse and repeat from the season...KState just finished the job.

Because 8 wins is better than 7, and with 8 wins we are talking about going to possibly the Alamo Bowl against Oregon or the Camping World against Notre Dame as opposed to the Liberty Bowl against possibly an AAC school. Its hard to argue that we didn't take a minor step back this season, when everyone thought we would keep the momentum moving forward. Its not a big deal or anything to be alarmed about at this point, but

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I graduated from ISU in 1882. I NEVER thought I'd see ISU fans ***** and moan so much over a 7 (or 8) win season.

Do I think we can do better? Absolutely.

Am I looking for my pitchfork and torch? Absolutely not.

Danm...they should give you an award, what are you like 150? What was the Civil War like?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My Dad is also a long time high school coach. He's got a million of these kinds of stories. Always fun to remember the old days. People have little idea how chaotic it can be on the sidelines.

• Agree
Reactions: tolfbfan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron