I hate ESPN and their predictions

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
All three are should wins every year, eh?

All three non-cons should be a win every year. But we really need to be moving beyond the stage where 3 wins is that best we can muster in conference. I expect the defense to take a step back this season but if our offense still hasn't shown improvement in year five that is a very bad sign.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Your life will improve greatly when you stop caring what ESPN and other media outlets with obvious conflicts of interest thinks about ISU athletics. ESPN loves it some SEC, some NFL, the La Lakers, the Heat, Tim Tebow and ACC basketball. Not everything else content-wise but a lot of it becomes secondary to them because they have to bow down to their bedfellows first, which leads to hack bloggers like Ubben or some other random guy who nobody has heard of producing regular everyday content.

Seriously, when your lead blogger for a conference has admittedly never attended a game in at least two of the home stadiums but regularly visits the others? Does that sound credible to you?
This is accurate.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When 90% of a league goes to a bowl some decent teams are going to be picked at the bottom. I'd probably begrudgingly pick us ninth in football too this year.

Now in basketball picking us 8th last season was absolutely stupid in every conceivable way given that our incoming talent was more proven than the majority of teams ISU finished ahead of. Pretty pathetic that even some of our own fans were slurping up baseless opinions of why ISU would be 8th place...like an OU transfer who had less points and rebounds in the same conference as Clyburn was somehow a more high impact addition and that's how OU would leapfrog us. We're to the point where we should be picked in the top half in basketball until we have a bad season. In football we frankly still deserve to be only picked above KU even though we've been competitive. The league is just that deep.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
When 90% of a league goes to a bowl some decent teams are going to be picked at the bottom. I'd probably begrudgingly pick us ninth in football too this year.

Now in basketball picking us 8th last season was absolutely stupid in every conceivable way given that our incoming talent was more proven than the majority of teams ISU finished ahead of. Pretty pathetic that even some of our own fans were slurping up baseless opinions of why ISU would be 8th place...like an OU transfer who had less points and rebounds in the same conference as Clyburn was somehow a more high impact addition and that's how OU would leapfrog us. We're to the point where we should be picked in the top half in basketball until we have a bad season. In football we frankly still deserve to be only picked above KU even though we've been competitive. The league is just that deep.

I agree with a lot of this but you have to realize we just finished in the top four two years in a row after not coming anywhere close to that for like seven straight years. If we run off a couple more top-three finishes in a row, I think Fred would start getting the benefit of the doubt instead of just the doubt.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I don't see how they would put 5-7 as the "best" case. UNI, Tulsa, Iowa, Baylor, Kansas, and WVU would be six wins. And you don't need cardinal tinted glasses to think that we have a legitimate chance to win all of those games.
I know our best case scenario should be to go 12-0 but I would say 9-3 with wins over UNI, Iowa, Tulsa, Baylor, Kansas, K-State,Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or TCU. Now I would never pick us to go 9-3. But if everything bounced our way, I could see it.