hype

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The difference is that I'd expect the basketball team to make adjustments and play hard in the second half if we went in down by 3. The football team didn't make any changes at all and quit.
OUT OF GAS.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Fred has earned my trust by improving the team through the season and peaking in March. CPR has not proved that he can do that.

Exactly. This is not a traditionally or even recently good football team losing in an upset. It is another symptom of a losing pattern. The bball team could lose to a horrible team and still have a great season (remember losing to Texas Tech a couple years ago?).

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Exactly. This is not a traditionally or even recently good football team losing in an upset. It is another symptom of a losing pattern. The bball team could lose to a horrible team and still have a great season (remember losing to Texas Tech a couple years ago?).

Unfortunately I do remember that. Aaaaaaand the early season Drake loss with Royce's squad.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think most people covered the reasons why losing to GSU, while disappointing, isn't crippling:

-basketball rosters are smaller (swinging on 1-2 men oftentimes) and the talent differential between mid-major teams high-major teams is not that different... in a word, if you were to rank across all Division I, you'd have a ton of mixing between MM and HM (even power conference) teams with basketball, but very little of it in football (NDSU>ISU, though, obviously)

-the basketball season is longer and has more intermediate goals... losing to GSU at home early in the season would suck (defend the home court, I'd like to see us go undefeated in Hilton again one of these years) and count as a "bad loss" to the selection committee, but in the end that's the difference between a #4 and a #5... it matters, but it's not crippling, you still have to win your games come March

-Fred has to navigate 10 (if not 15 with the tomato cans in the conference like TCU and TTU) of these "gimme" wins a season, which means more chances to slip up... he didn't last year (save maybe WVU on the road, but even that wasn't a "bad loss" on the whole, just a badly played game), but several came really damn close (UNI, Boise State), so some of them are going to get us eventually no matter what we do

-"not making excuses," but we might be down one starter/one rotational player or two rotational players (depending on if Nader becomes a full-time starter or not) at that point, which will affect how we play and put more pressure on the "top tier" guys in Niang, BDJ, Hogue, and Morris without the extra support and ask more of role players and freshmen very early into their careers (most likely Naz, freshman Custer and Tsalm)*

*I figure our lineup to star the year will be Morris/Long/BDJ/Hogue/Niang... Thomas/Nader/McKay unavailable for various reasons, which means our bench at the start of the season is Custer/SDW/Edozie/Tsalm, which could lead to some roughness if we get in a dogfight or have foul trouble and have to rely on a lot of minutes from guys without much experience or quite as much talent as our normal rotation would offer

-like everybody else said, track record--Fred has made the postseason three years in a row, won the conference tournament, beat Top 10 teams repeatedly, always plays tough (save WVU last year, the odd fluke), brings in stars, develops players (i.e. Ejim [raw talent as a freshman that built into a conference player of the year], Naz [huge freshman/sophomore leap, hopefully more to come]), wins big games, and (honestly, no homer here) had a team last year with enough talent, chemistry, and in position to make a national title run--granted, many more teams in basketball can say that percentage-wise as can football programs, but there's a clear difference

I fully expect us to lose 2-3 games in non-con next year--we have about the same schedule, if not an easier one, but there's no way we can dodge so many bullets again. Some teams will get us. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to meltdown on Fred when it happens.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I think most people covered the reasons why losing to GSU, while disappointing, isn't crippling:

-basketball rosters are smaller (swinging on 1-2 men oftentimes) and the talent differential between mid-major teams high-major teams is not that different... in a word, if you were to rank across all Division I, you'd have a ton of mixing between MM and HM (even power conference) teams with basketball, but very little of it in football (NDSU>ISU, though, obviously)

-the basketball season is longer and has more intermediate goals... losing to GSU at home early in the season would suck (defend the home court, I'd like to see us go undefeated in Hilton again one of these years) and count as a "bad loss" to the selection committee, but in the end that's the difference between a #4 and a #5... it matters, but it's not crippling, you still have to win your games come March

-Fred has to navigate 10 (if not 15 with the tomato cans in the conference like TCU and TTU) of these "gimme" wins a season, which means more chances to slip up... he didn't last year (save maybe WVU on the road, but even that wasn't a "bad loss" on the whole, just a badly played game), but several came really damn close (UNI, Boise State), so some of them are going to get us eventually no matter what we do

-"not making excuses," but we might be down one starter/one rotational player or two rotational players (depending on if Nader becomes a full-time starter or not) at that point, which will affect how we play and put more pressure on the "top tier" guys in Niang, BDJ, Hogue, and Morris without the extra support and ask more of role players and freshmen very early into their careers (most likely Naz, freshman Custer and Tsalm)*

*I figure our lineup to star the year will be Morris/Long/BDJ/Hogue/Niang... Thomas/Nader/McKay unavailable for various reasons, which means our bench at the start of the season is Custer/SDW/Edozie/Tsalm, which could lead to some roughness if we get in a dogfight or have foul trouble and have to rely on a lot of minutes from guys without much experience or quite as much talent as our normal rotation would offer

-like everybody else said, track record--Fred has made the postseason three years in a row, won the conference tournament, beat Top 10 teams repeatedly, always plays tough (save WVU last year, the odd fluke), brings in stars, develops players (i.e. Ejim [raw talent as a freshman that built into a conference player of the year], Naz [huge freshman/sophomore leap, hopefully more to come]), wins big games, and (honestly, no homer here) had a team last year with enough talent, chemistry, and in position to make a national title run--granted, many more teams in basketball can say that percentage-wise as can football programs, but there's a clear difference

I fully expect us to lose 2-3 games in non-con next year--we have about the same schedule, if not an easier one, but there's no way we can dodge so many bullets again. Some teams will get us. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to meltdown on Fred when it happens.

Your effort on that post is embarrassing.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

That is a scary strong starting line up. The bench scares me a little though for a different reason.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Georgia State has the same number of scholarships as ISU.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Fred's earned a couple of bad seasons. And he hasn't used them.

Rhoads has used his couple of bad seasons. And he didn't even earn them.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Mid-majors knock off major schools all the time in basketball. Good major schools. There's a lot more parity in basketball.

FCS schools beating FBS schools? Not so much. Most "Power 5" conferences have won 95-99% of their games against FCS opponents.

95-99% of the power 5 conferences that scheduled FCS teams not only won they crushed the FCS team which is what should happen.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Did we go 3-9 the year before?

That's what's funny. You'd think people would be less surprised by a team that went 3-9 the previous season getting pounded by a team that has won 3 straight FCS titles. Georgia State is going to be a very good team so it would probably take a 20 point loss to a team like Lamar or Southern for any type of meltdown to happen.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
That's what's funny. You'd think people would be less surprised by a team that went 3-9 the previous season getting pounded by a team that has won 3 straight FCS titles. Georgia State is going to be a very good team so it would probably take a 20 point loss to a team like Lamar or Southern for any type of meltdown to happen.

this

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Fred's earned a couple of bad seasons. And he hasn't used them.

Rhoads has used his couple of bad seasons. And he didn't even earn them.

The only time that's going to happen is when expectations get totally out of hand.

The last 3 years have been fine and will continue this year.

Spam

May 21, 2008

Surprise? No, that's not the right word 'round here.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think it's more of disappointment in the fact we have a football team we can hold any hope in for another seasons then it is shock or anger.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
How is this any different than football? NDSU is the top FCS school by the widest of margins.

As others have said the difference between midmajors and high majors is much smaller in basketball than in football. You're comparing teams of 12 guys to teams of 85 guys, it just takes one or two really talented players to make all the difference, you need a lot more than that in football. Georgia St has that in RJ Hunter and Ryan Harrow, Hunter will be one of the top players we go up against all year.