Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I actually just had the opposite experience. An item was listed as $24.99 online with in store pickup, but it was only $20.99 on the shelf when I went to look at it and ultimately buy it.
Yeah, they will price match their site along with competitor sites if you show them the price while checking out, but I also had a recent experience of running in to buy a curling iron that was listed for $44 on their website. I was going to ask them to price match Amazon as they had it for only $32, only to find that it was $24 in store. Great savings, though it made me super glad I hadn't ordered it online. Also, Target will price adjust anything you've bought if the price drops within 14 days of purchase, I've done that loads of times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Target has done the same thing in their self checkout, a limit of 10 items.
Yeah, they have 30 stations for self check, limit of 10 and 2 lines overflowing for assisted check out. The self checkouts are usually 2/3rds full. So I'm the rear end who goes up with 30 items in the self check. Faster than waiting on the numbnuts in the other lines.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Plus Hyvee purposefully puts a "sale" tag on an item, but doesn't put it into their system. So it rings up regular price, they only care if a few catch the error. Most people won't catch it, or speak up about it. I stopped going because its regular practice anymore.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Also, saw this relevant Reddit post that might interest folks;

I saw that. There is zero chance the idiot writing that is an “independent business consultant”. He also wrote another one on businesses doing RTO. Just a stupid opinion piece with no actual facts to back anything up, lots of spelling/gramatical errors, swearing, etc. Probably a kid that works at Aldi

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Target is not the only store that does this. But I've never experienced a store with this model that won't price match the in-store item to their own online price.
Obviously a different type of store but Barnes and Noble will not price match their own website. (At least they didn’t as of a few years ago) I found a book that was cheaper on their website when I was in the store and they said they do not match the price. So I put it back and ordered from Amazon.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Obviously a different type of store but Barnes and Noble will not price match their own website. (At least they didn’t as of a few years ago) I found a book that was cheaper on their website when I was in the store and they said they do not match the price. So I put it back and ordered from Amazon.
A bookstore unwilling to price match just about anything is idiotic.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
A bookstore unwilling to price match just about anything is idiotic.
I mean, most large stores being unwilling to price match is stupid. I understand why a mom and pop can't, but the fact that Hy-Vee won't price match when Target does definitely influences my shopping decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Plus Hyvee purposefully puts a "sale" tag on an item, but doesn't put it into their system. So it rings up regular price, they only care if a few catch the error. Most people won't catch it, or speak up about it. I stopped going because its regular practice anymore.
They’ll do the same thing with Fuel Saver items also I’ve noticed.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
That might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a chain bookstore.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard from a chain bookstore.
I'm sure there's some corporate reason why, but I look at it as "You have this book listed for $24 in the store, but $17 online. You can have 17 of my dollars or 0 of my dollars. Up to you." At best I'm purchasing it online from you. But Amazon's ease of purchase means I'm probably buying it from them if they have it.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU22CY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm sure there's some corporate reason why, but I look at it as "You have this book listed for $24 in the store, but $17 online. You can have 17 of my dollars or 0 of my dollars. Up to you." At best I'm purchasing it online from you. But Amazon's ease of purchase means I'm probably buying it from them if they have it.
Since when does Amazon sell books?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Also, saw this relevant Reddit post that might interest folks;

You don't need to be an independent business consultant to diagnose any of that, it's right in front of your face. In fact, it sort of makes me wonder what you would pay an independent business consultant to tell you if this is what they think is revelatory.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron