Huge NCAA MBB News: Beilein to Cavs

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
This pretty much says it all including the paycheck:

In recent years, he's become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of freshman Ignas Brazdiekis with Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender.

Beilein's son, Patrick, was recently hired as the coach at Niagara University -- about a 3.5 hour drive from Cleveland.

• Informative
Reactions: NATEizKING

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Brad Stevens would be an incredible fit and with the Celtics needing a lot of tweaking, now might be the time for him to jump.

• Creative
Reactions: bawbie

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What was Michigan paying him? Doesn't seem like he would get paid that much more in the NBA. Michigan could pretty much give him as much as he wanted. This seems more like a Hoiberg scenario where he wants to test himself in the NBA while he can. Probably fed up with the dirtiness of NCAA basketball too.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  • Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I was curious about his coaching tree, and this is what I found:

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2016/04/john_beilein_coaching_tree.html

Not a lot of qualified guys for a job that big.

I tried looking to see if I could find former players who were now coaching, but that's a tough one to find.

Good info. I thought of LaVall Jordan having the coaching-tree connection. Michigan might not be in position for Splash, given the timing. Remaining roster also has been recruited and developed for Beilein's system, I don't know how much impact that has in short-term.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
100 percent agree with that. I am talking about staying at a single school and becoming a legend. They all seem to want to go get paid for 5 years in the NBA. Which I am fine with. He is old. Take the money and retire in a few years.

Beilein has been at Michigan for over a decade and has two final fours. What the **** is wrong with ISU b-ball fan?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Good info. I thought of LaVall Jordan having the coaching-tree connection. Michigan might not be in position for Splash, given the timing. Remaining roster also has been recruited and developed for Beilein's system, I don't know how much impact that has in short-term.

No long term assistants on the staff either (2-3 years in the program).

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Beilein has been at Michigan for over a decade and has two final fours. What the **** is wrong with ISU b-ball fan?

I would still not call him a Michigan Legend. I am talking Coach K, Dean Smith, John Wooden, that type of stuff.

BTW Michigan is notorious for underpaying coaches. Not sure if that has changed over the years or not. However, we got Johnny Orr because of that exact reason.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would still not call him a Michigan Legend. I am talking Coach K, Dean Smith, John Wooden, that type of stuff.

BTW Michigan is notorious for underpaying coaches. Not sure if that has changed over the years or not. However, we got Johnny Orr because of that exact reason.

Well Michigan isn’t those schools and he will he looked at as being a legend. All time winningest coach there, two final fours. If he’s not a UM coaching legend then who is?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
What was Michigan paying him? Doesn't seem like he would get paid that much more in the NBA. Michigan could pretty much give him as much as he wanted. This seems more like a Hoiberg scenario where he wants to test himself in the NBA while he can....

Somehow, the Michigan AD saying "John finally gets to fulfill his dream of coaching in the NBA at 66" probably wouldn't go over as easy as it did in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

Michigan most def is not underpaying coaches anymore nor have they for a long time. If anything they are over paying their football coach and Belien was making well over 3 Mill a year I believe.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

He was a top 10 paid coach in college basketball, making about $3.5 million/year. Johnny Orr was 40 years ago.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Somehow, the Michigan AD saying "John finally gets to fulfill his dream of coaching in the NBA at 66" probably wouldn't go over as easy as it did in Ames.

Michigan fans aren’t as naive as Iowa state fans.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyclonesRock