Hoyt Sherman Place

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I'm going to be buying tickets for a show there that go on sale at 10.00a. I was looking at the seats in the presale last night but didn't have the code to buy. We've never been there. There were a lot of seats still available at the end of the presale, and I was wondering if anyone can advise us as to whether it would be best to sit in the first couple of rows of the balcony or around the 12-15th row downstairs (which the seat guide says are directly below the front row of the balcony). I doubt there will be a lot of people standing during the concert as it's a group of bands from the 60s.

When making suggestions, please take into account the fact that I am very short, and the wall in front of the seats in the balcony looks really tall in the pictures.

TIA!

For reference:
View attachment 97619
View attachment 97620

Some here have definitely been there more than myself but I sell ticket and travel all over the country to see artists at different venues. From that standpoint I have a unique perspective.

Ive sat on the floor and the balcony for shows at Hoyt and find the first few rows of the Center Balcony to be the most desirable. In smaller, theatre style venues like Hoyt he best acoustics are often found in the balcony level. This has to do with the relatively modest loft of the ceilings and the speaker positioning relative to the ceiling/and the fan. The pictures above don't do it justice but the speakers are almost pointing right at the lower balcony. You are also close enough to have a great view of the stage and artist. The Ryman, Uptown (KC), and Hoyt are all great examples of smaller theatres that have better sound in the lower balcony. Also, if you look at the ticket price points, you often get cheaper tickets, and hence better value for those seats.

Now Hoyt is small enough to where, like others said, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. But if I had my preference of any seat I'd probably choose Row A Center Balcs. My number ONE priority for a concert is sound, then value, then sightlines. For arenas I often think side stage are the BEST seats in the house even though the adjacent 2 sections usually sell/resell for higher prices. You are closer to the stage, have a great vantage point, and are right next to the speaker columns (great sound). And, like the Balcs, tickets are usually a little less.

Hope this helps.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Great venue as others have said but if you're a larger than average person the seats are small. I consider myself to be pretty average sized 5' 10" and 210# and the seats seem a little small for me.
A little taller and a buck 85 and yes, the seats are fairly crammed. But a lot of older theatres (Peabody/Stifel in Stl) are the same way.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Some here have definitely been there more than myself but I sell ticket and travel all over the country to see artists at different venues. From that standpoint I have a unique perspective.

Ive sat on the floor and the balcony for shows at Hoyt and find the first few rows of the Center Balcony to be the most desirable. In smaller, theatre style venues like Hoyt he best acoustics are often found in the balcony level. This has to do with the relatively modest loft of the ceilings and the speaker positioning relative to the ceiling/and the fan. The pictures above don't do it justice but the speakers are almost pointing right at the lower balcony. You are also close enough to have a great view of the stage and artist. The Ryman, Uptown (KC), and Hoyt are all great examples of smaller theatres that have better sound in the lower balcony. Also, if you look at the ticket price points, you often get cheaper tickets, and hence better value for those seats.

Now Hoyt is small enough to where, like others said, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. But if I had my preference of any seat I'd probably choose Row A Center Balcs. My number ONE priority for a concert is sound, then value, then sightlines. For arenas I often think side stage are the BEST seats in the house even though the adjacent 2 sections usually sell/resell for higher prices. You are closer to the stage, have a great vantage point, and are right next to the speaker columns (great sound). And, like the Balcs, tickets are usually a little less.

Hope this helps.
I get the desire for great sound, but this show contains a comedic element, so I want to be able to see the stage clearly. :D

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I get the desire for great sound, but this show contains a comedic element, so I want to be able to see the stage clearly. :D
Unless you're blind you will be able to see the stage clearly. But if being close is your NUMBER ONE area of importance (or if someone in your group has bad eyesight) then the floor would better suit your needs/desires.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
There are no bad seats, I like the floor better there though.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
"Happy Together" tour. We saw them around 10 years ago at the State Fair Grandstand.

Lineup this time includes Flo & Eddie from The Turtles (natch!), The Association, The Grass Roots, The Box Tops, The Classics IV and The Cowsills.
Upon further investigation (thanks, Rulzzz), the lineup varies from one venue to the next. The actual lineup for this show is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Association, The Buckinghams, The Vogues, and The Cowsills. So no Classics IV, Boxtops or Grass Roots, but adding in the Buckinghams and the Vogues. I still like the lineup though. :D

We decided on row L, sec B. Hopefully I didn't screw up! :D At least I'll know better next time. It's so hard to pick seats when you've never been to the venue, and you can tell from the posts in this thread that everyone has their own criteria for what constitutes "best".

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Haha, fair enough. With that said I can tell you the balcony view picture you posted isn't very accurate, unless sitting in the rear rows of that section. The overhand is around Row F, so if you sat in the Box seats (which I forgot about...even better than the balcs) you'd be able to see just fine. You'd also eliminate the issue of taller people in front of you or people constantly moving past to get to the aisles. Box only seats 4 so once there, you basically are guaranteed of no issues.

Anyway enjoy the show. Lots of options to choose from where you really couldn't "go wrong". :)

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Upon further investigation (thanks, Rulzzz), the lineup varies from one venue to the next. The actual lineup for this show is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, The Association, The Buckinghams, The Vogues, and The Cowsills. So no Classics IV, Boxtops or Grass Roots, but adding in the Buckinghams and the Vogues. I still like the lineup though. :D

We decided on row L, sec B. Hopefully I didn't screw up! :D At least I'll know better next time. It's so hard to pick seats when you've never been to the venue, and you can tell from the posts in this thread that everyone has their own criteria for what constitutes "best".

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!

You should be okay. Not center but adjacent to it. I'd stay away from the rear balc, the far sides, and especially the rear orcs that are under the overhang. In a theatre like this I think the worst seats are 7 rows plus under the overhang. The sound field is disrupted and your view is also less than ideal.

Enjoy!

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Haha, fair enough. With that said I can tell you the balcony view picture you posted isn't very accurate, unless sitting in the rear rows of that section. The overhand is around Row F, so if you sat in the Box seats (which I forgot about...even better than the balcs) you'd be able to see just fine. You'd also eliminate the issue of taller people in front of you or people constantly moving past to get to the aisles. Box only seats 4 so once there, you basically are guaranteed of no issues.

Anyway enjoy the show. Lots of options to choose from where you really couldn't "go wrong". :)
Here's a fun fact. I will never buy tickets for the first row of the upper deck at Hilton. I had "limited mobility" seats there for one game this year (our normal seats are in row 9 in a corner balcony), and found that the railing went DIRECTLY across my line of sight. So I had to scrunch down and look under the top rail to see the far end of the court, and crane my neck to see the near end over the top rail. By the end of the first half, my back and neck were killing me. Hence, my concern with the railings & walls in front of front row seats. :D

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Lots of short people in this thread. I’m 4’10 and a quarter. (Could have been taller but my sides gave out)

Hoyt Sherman is a fun venue. Been there for concerts, ballet etc.
I WAS taller (well, a shade over 5'3"). Scoliosis took care of that...at the rate I'm settling, I may be close to your height in another 10-15 years!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Here's a fun fact. I will never buy tickets for the first row of the upper deck at Hilton. I had "limited mobility" seats there for one game this year (our normal seats are in row 9 in a corner balcony), and found that the railing went DIRECTLY across my line of sight. So I had to scrunch down and look under the top rail to see the far end of the court, and crane my neck to see the near end over the top rail. By the end of the first half, my back and neck were killing me. Hence, my concern with the railings & walls in front of front row seats. :D

Good point. This can be a factor at some venues (sporting or otherwise). Usually, because it was designed with that in mind, the railing is a non-factor most places. Often, when it is, it's because of a safety "upgrade" that was done AFTER the original design/build. You see that more in arenas (like you mentioned) than small theatres like this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron