Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
With all of the angst about bowl games not being good, dying, etc.; what would you do to make them better?
  • Eliminate Bowl Game Contracts with Conferences = let bowl games pick any teams they want. It's like opening a bowl game portal.
  • Have the Bowl Games and/or TV pay players to play = self-explanatory.
  • Play more Bowl Games in actual CFB Stadiums = this could go in a number of directions. I was thinking it would be cool to go to a bowl game in some of the iconic venues in college football that are in warmer parts of the country (e.g. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, etc.).
  • Play more Bowl Games between Christmas and January 2nd = this would make it easier for fans to go.
  • Encourage more off-field entertainment with sponsors like Pop-Tarts = I'm not sure how feasible this is, but part of what makes college football great is its quirkiness. We love MACtion, dumping mayo/french fries/etc on the winning coach, and other things like that. Make the non-game portion more entertaining.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Junk them

**** safety too. 16 game schedule with conference 4 team playoff to determine the champ.

16 team (to start) playoff.

Get the best teams playing over 20 games a season. Pay head coaches $25 million a season and NIL the **** out of the game

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Move the G5 to their own playoff system and in the process, eliminate multiple meaningless bowl games. That's where I'd start anyway. I do think expanding the playoff field to 12 going forward will pay huge dividends, i.e., not seeing the #5 team beat the #6 team by 60 because of opt outs.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Move them to be the first game of the next season.

Transfers would be done and at their new school, but yet to be tested.

Would also give some killer non-con games as the first game of the season.

Now the game means a ton as no one wants to start the year with a L.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If a team wins, those players get X amount of money, losing teams gets y amount of money. NIL gets paid similar to NFL, game week type checks. Make bowl game worth two games.
Portal opens later.
Good thoughts. I like it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Junk them

**** safety too. 16 game schedule with conference 4 team playoff to determine the champ.

16 team (to start) playoff.

Get the best teams playing over 20 games a season. Pay head coaches $25 million a season and NIL the **** out of the game

This is the winning answer above. Get rid of them.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Move them to be the first game of the next season.

Transfers would be done and at their new school, but yet to be tested.

Would also give some killer non-con games as the first game of the season.

Now the game means a ton as no one wants to start the year with a L.

I don’t like the week zero thing. Makes even less sense because of the portal. The teams they’re matching up change drastically year to year.

If you’re going to move them… move them up. Get all the “inconsequential” ones done on Saturdays before finals week.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If people are watching them or just have them on in the background and if people are betting on them, they aren't going anywhere.
There is so much money that these bring into communities and charities too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Find some sort of financial incentive.

If not, promote them as they are, as a chance for fans to see younger/back up players to see if there's much potential there.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
With all of the angst about bowl games not being good, dying, etc.; what would you do to make them better?
  • Eliminate Bowl Game Contracts with Conferences = let bowl games pick any teams they want. It's like opening a bowl game portal.
  • Have the Bowl Games and/or TV pay players to play = self-explanatory.
  • Play more Bowl Games in actual CFB Stadiums = this could go in a number of directions. I was thinking it would be cool to go to a bowl game in some of the iconic venues in college football that are in warmer parts of the country (e.g. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Clemson, etc.).
  • Play more Bowl Games between Christmas and January 2nd = this would make it easier for fans to go.
  • Encourage more off-field entertainment with sponsors like Pop-Tarts = I'm not sure how feasible this is, but part of what makes college football great is its quirkiness. We love MACtion, dumping mayo/french fries/etc on the winning coach, and other things like that. Make the non-game portion more entertaining.

More entertainment within the game. More cash incentives for the players based on performance. More gambling. More violence. More sexual exploitation of the cheerleaders and pom squads. MORE! MORE! MORE!!! Inject it into my veins!! You know, what ever is best for the student athlete, I'm all for it.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
You think that guys will play for a few thousand bucks to risk losing millions? I don't think so.
Probably wouldn't stop the first rounders, but if you gave everyone a few thousand to participate it might get some of those day 2 or 3 guys to play.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
There is so much money that these bring into communities and charities too.
Will they though if attendance drops off? The attendance at these lower tier bowl games is already bad. I don't see the whole it's just an exhibition narrative helping to improve that.

ISU attendance was certainly down compared to our last Liberty appearance. My hunch is if we are back there again in another 3 or 4 years our turnout would be even lower. I really don't even think an SEC opponent would prevent that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Will they though if attendance drops off? The attendance at these lower tier bowl games is already bad. I don't see the whole it's just an exhibition narrative helping to improve that.

ISU attendance was certainly down compared to our last Liberty appearance. My hunch is if we are back there again in another 3 or 4 years our turnout would be even lower. I really don't even think an SEC opponent would prevent that.
I assume if TV money is still good they'll still be around.