How Iowa State eliminated the midrange jumper

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think this is part of the reason that we struggled against Baylor's zone. The short corner jump shot was really open but we pretty much refused to take the shot. It's obvious though that the system tries to avoid mid-range jumpers and that makes a lot of sense.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think this is part of the reason that we struggled against Baylor's zone. The short corner jump shot was really open but we pretty much refused to take the shot. It's obvious though that the system tries to avoid mid-range jumpers and that makes a lot of sense.

I think our struggle had a lot more to do with Baylor making our entry passes tough and not allowing Niang to isolate. Mid range jumpers aren't a great way to beat a zone IMO. Getting in the short corner and creating some favorable angles was a big part of our comeback.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Really interesting, the shot charts were cool to see too, but why does the author throw out "The good news for the Cyclones is that, like any perimeter-oriented team, they are dangerous when three-point shots are falling."?

Our starting five average 60% of their shots from the paint...Naz and Matt have a role on the team, and that's as 3 point shooters.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
what a great article.

putting stats to what we see and why ISU is successful.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Really interesting, the shot charts were cool to see too, but why does the author throw out "The good news for the Cyclones is that, like any perimeter-oriented team, they are dangerous when three-point shots are falling."?

Our starting five average 60% of their shots from the paint...Naz and Matt have a role on the team, and that's as 3 point shooters.

Which is why if we are making 3s we are unstoppable.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Interesting note on UNC leading the tourney field taking 25.9% of its shots in the mid-range area.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Couldn't they have waited on that until AFTER the tournament? Seems like a good start to a defensive plan.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I want this on a t-shirt... Cardinal & Gold of course. Awesome article and great infographics.

image_thumb130.png

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If you think opposing coaches need an article like that to scout ISU idk what to tell you.

Oh hey guys, maybe you should try to keep Niang and Kane out of the lane, let Hogue have the corner jumper, and hope they miss 3s. K thx.

Unless you have totally superior athletes, I'm not sure what more could done than what Baylor did (of course I'm not a bball coach).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron