How bad is Big ten east and west disparity?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
With an expanded playoff, the last thing the b1g wants to do is change things. Keep the illusion of your east bluebloods by claiming they're always great because they only lose to Ohio State. The entire system would be rigged to ensure their best interest are attended to, they won't change anything.
If what you say is true, then why does the SEC continue to keep Georgia and Alabama in different sides of the conference, where they rarely play each other except in the conference championship game? The SEC is the only conference that has gotten two teams in the playoff, while the Big 10 never has.

One would think that if Ohio State had beaten an undefeated Michigan team last night to avenge their only loss of the season, they would also be looking at having two teams in the playoff. Taking into account that OSU had not lost to Oregon at home on week one.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Its BAD IN A GOOD WAY....When is the last time that the hoks had to play either Michigan or Ohio State.....in regular season play?

HELLSBELLS, POOR OL COUSIN ....KNEE BRASKA.....has to play them every year....

Without their cupcake schedule the hoks would never make it to the championship game!
Iowa just played Michigan in Ann Arbor in 2019, I dont think they scored a TD that game either.

I'm fine with Nebraska forced to play the Top 3 east teams every year, the more beatdowns for them the better.

You are correct, only reason Iowa even made this game is they drew Indiana while Wisconsin had to play Michigan. It's criminal how bad their unbalanced schedules affect the standings.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
this is really no different than when we witnessed the fall of Nebraska, Colorado and Kansas State in the Big12 North. I remember in the mid to late 90's thinking we are never going to be able to compete. we have 3 powerhouse top 10 teams in our division alone.

Then everyone started sucking.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
The West side is 0-8 with 7 of them being blowouts. Time to move the Michigan teams to the west and put Nebraska and NW in the East.

EIU fans would hate it, but they have to do something other than collect paychecks thanks to the East side of the conference.
Your numbers don’t include Iowa beating psu?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
My dad is a Wisconsin alum. He is convinced Alvarez used his influence to set this up to give Bucky an easy runway to ccg ever year.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Your numbers don’t include Iowa beating psu?
When did EIU defeat PSU in the championship game? We are not talking regular season, but when the team from the West plays the team from the East to claim the title.

The West is 0-8 in the final game under the current configuration of the conference.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
When did EIU defeat PSU in the championship game? We are not talking regular season, but when the team from the West plays the team from the East to claim the title.

The West is 0-8 in the final game under the current configuration of the conference.
Got it.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The teams in the East probably like it this way

Agreed... Look at the SEC, its by design. Best chance to get 2 teams in CFP. Ohio State had a legit chance to get in with a little luck this weekend despite not playing and having two losses.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Iowa just played Michigan in Ann Arbor in 2019, I dont think they scored a TD that game either.

I'm fine with Nebraska forced to play the Top 3 east teams every year, the more beatdowns for them the better.

You are correct, only reason Iowa even made this game is they drew Indiana while Wisconsin had to play Michigan. It's criminal how bad their unbalanced schedules affect the standings.

But on the field, it was more that Iowa beat Penn State and Wisconsin did not. Cuz otherwise the head-to-head win of Wisc. over Iowa would have taken care of that imbalance. If Penn State quarterback doesn't get injured, I don't think Iowa wins that game. But trailing at half was their recipe almost all year. But early season when they played Penn State, Wisconsin was struggling. Not sure how good young Mertz (sp ?) is.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa was the 5th best team in the B1G this year…. and the best team in the West…. so what does that tell you?

Yes, I put Penn St ahead of Iowa, because with their starting QB…. they were WAY better than Iowa.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
10 team is the best conference, 12 team can work with an even rotation but less desirable. B1G setup and scheduling is embarrassing.
I wish the Big 10 was 10 teams too, but even 12 wouldn't be great. Because you would need to choose between parity and an even rotation. Because if you choose even rotation, you divisions will be Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and then either Northwestern & Illinois or Indiana and Purdue vs. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and then Northwestern & Illinois or Indiana and Purdue. So also not great and you still end up with an 8-0 "east" record. If you try and create parity, then it isn't balanced and you run the risk of Ohio State winning 7 big 10 titles (because they are probably have either Penn State or Michigan State in their division.

And the format they have at 14 is the best they can have at 14.

This is the immediate answer. The B1G scheduling makes no sense. How can Nebraska play Michigan, Ohio St and Michigan State in the same season while Iowa only has to play Ohio St once in 10 years? The league office knows who the best teams are historically so start by having 3 West teams play Ohio St and 3 play Michigan. With the expected worst West team skipping those 2. Then 3 play Penn St and 3 play Michigan St. And so on. The crossover games now seem to have no rhyme or reason. This would prevent the Fake ID seasons that you see in the West, usually from Iowa who always seems to play the weakest East teams.
I disagree it makes no sense. It actually does, and I think it might be the only way to do it if you have nine conference games. Six of them are against the other teams in your division. Another game is against a team you have a six game series with. For Indiana and Purdue, that game does not change. For everyone else, that game changes. The 2016 - 2021 series was designed to produce competitive series. And they probably did a pretty good job (though I haven't gone through to look at each series) with the exception of the Ohio State - Nebraska. And whoever got Ohio State was not going to do well. For 2022 on it was/is randomly decided and you'll rotate through the other five teams in the other division. Finally, for the last two games, you rotate through the other six teams.

And your suggestion is just going to produce scheduling chaos. When do we decide the schedule? It has to be late spring/early summer at the earliest. Plus, teams are going to go without playing each other for long periods of time. You could also easily have a scenario where a team does better than expected and you're right back to "that team had a 'fake id' season."

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa was the 5th best team in the B1G this year…. and the best team in the West…. so what does that tell you?

Yes, I put Penn St ahead of Iowa, because with their starting QB…. they were WAY better than Iowa.
They may have been 2nd or third best in the west. Scheduling got them into the CCG.

• Agree
Reactions: CoKane and Acylum

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I agree that 8-0 for the east isn't great, but I think a lot of that has to do with Ohio State being a lot better than everyone else. Plus, this seems more like a P5 problem than a Big 10 problem. Because in the same time period, the SEC West is 7-1, the PAC - 12 North is 6-2, and the ACC Coastal is 6-1 (they had a different format last year so I'm not counting that year, although a team in the Coastal Division won it). If you want to include the Big 12, Oklahoma has won 4 of the 5 championship games. If you do the last 8 years that the Big 12 had divisions, then the Big 12 South is 7-1.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People forget the B12 north dominated the early years of the conference. Not sure it would have ever swung back, but when divisions were made it was lopsided with the North being the national powerhouse when Neb, KSU and CU were power teams, Mizzou had a stretch a little later.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's honestly worse than the old B12 North/South disparity
Big12 North had a appx decade where they dominated the South. Remember those real good Nebraska and Colorado teams? And KSU too. People forget, but the South was an also ran for quite a while.

These things tend to be cyclic, based on coaches. But not the b1g right now, all the traditiknal powers w the reccruiting are all together.

But b1g has it set up just the way they want it. Puff up an avg west team and then crush them. Its a feature, not a bug.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2