How are we looking this year?

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I saw where we were ranked something like 32 going into the season, why are we so low? Other than the abysmal showing at NCAA's last year that is. I don't pay a ton of attention to wrestling, although I watch as often as I can (very limited in New Orleans, it's not exactly a wrestling town). What was the cause of the poor showing last year, and what can we expect to see this year to turn that around?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Many young guys that haven't started before or got injured early and not alot for rankers to go by.
Finch, Goettl, Beard, and Gibson all at NCAA's last year and ranked. Kyven ranked on FILA results from 1 and 1/2 years ago and expectations; I think he will continue to be ranked, if he stays healthy; he is living the right lifestyle to succeed.

John Meeks isn't ranked because he's a true freshman; I believe he will be ranked shortly after season starts if he doesn't redshirt.

Mikey England is ranked by many polls and should be, but hasn't earned the spot yet. (Will be a good battle between Mikey and Tanner Weatherman tonight!)

Max Mayfield, Trent Weatherman and Mike Moreno will need to prove it on the mat, not a lot of results from them to be ranked at this time.

I think it is very possible that all 10 weights will be ranked at the end of this year. Hope S&C coach Beau has helped and injuries won't be a problem this year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think he wrestles. Might depend on how Shayden and John do tonight. And how John does Saturday at Young open at NIACC (I heard he is wrestling in it) Just my opinion and not sure if I agree or not. I don't have any knowledge of the effect Nickerson is having on him. I'm sure it is helping.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Vastly improved dual team - though the Iowa meet will be ugly due to matchups. NCAA finish will depend on how our guys have developed. We lost our big horse in Spangler due to concussions so somebody like Goettl, Meeks, Finch, Beard, or Gibson will have to step up if we are going to have AAs and a top 10 finish.

McCauley's defection and Spangler's concussions both put a huge hit on chances in March.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Very different from the last two years. Instead of one premier guy (Reader/Sorenson) and a lot of holes we will have a solid guy at every weight with no superstars.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think the addition of the S&C Coach and Troy Nickerson are going to have big impact on this team. I think they are ready for the season to start. I AM!!!

Iowa, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Penn State and maybe Ohio State are going to be tough to beat, but after that, we'll see.