Hotel in downtown Chicago

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm looking as well. Been trying Priceline, with little luck. Worked well last summer, got a 4 star for about $90. No such joy this time around.

Even looking at the regular sites, seems there isn't much available Sat night.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Depends on what you're doing. I just went with the wife and kids a month ago. We stayed at the best western in grant park. It was the cheapest place we could find in the loop (and it felt like it too). The upside was we were taking them to the aquarium and field museum so it worked out pretty well and we were about 2 blocks from a subway/el station.

isucyc

Mar 9, 2006
Head to Chicago in a few days any good suggestions on how to get a cheap hotel in downtown?

Try the Howard Johnson on LaSalle. It is close to the loop. Like 6-8 blocks from Harry Cary's and good eating places. It is very clean around there. and they have fenced in parking. Last time I was there it was about $125 and it if you look in travel booklet (like you get from travel centers there are specials from time to time. I think they have a website.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
If you can get past the smell, I've spent a few nights in a hollowed out horse carcass in an alley behind the Hancock building before. Its a GREAT location, close to lots of shopping, restaurants and attractions. Really, all it will cost you is a few bucks for some oats to lure in a horse and I'm going to assume that you already have all of the other tools to get the job done. Thank me when you get back!

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If you can get past the smell, I've spent a few nights in a hollowed out horse carcass in an alley behind the Hancock building before. Its a GREAT location, close to lots of shopping, restaurants and attractions. Really, all it will cost you is a few bucks for some oats to lure in a horse and I'm going to assume that you already have all of the other tools to get the job done. Thank me when you get back!

I too have spent a couple evenings here. I would recommend upgrading to the Clydesdale for the added room and comfort a family needs.

Reactions: tamjam

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I stay at the Homewood Suites every week at 40 E. Grand in Chicago. FANTASTIC Value as it has free hot Breakfast and free dinner if you want to partake. Plus...Service is outstanding.

Another hint on cheap rates, tell the hotel you are visiting family or working at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, which is down the street. Many hotels have hospital rates! :smile:

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I pricelined 4 star downtown Chicago for 2 nights 9July 1st and 2nd) for $75 a night and got the Palmer House Hilton! Can't beat priceline for a good deal.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
I pricelined 4 star downtown Chicago for 2 nights 9July 1st and 2nd) for $75 a night and got the Palmer House Hilton! Can't beat priceline for a good deal.

This is what we did. Had a great room for the price. We parked outside the city in a CTA park and ride so we didn't have to pay the fees to park downtown.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Never mind - thought this was the OP.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Something in particular going on this weekend in Chicago. Not getting much available at all for Sat night.

Was pretty pumped about this. Got the Megabus for 1.00 each way, but having a heck of a time finding a hotel down by Union to make it really worthwhile.

Aaron Jacobs

Sep 24, 2007
Robins, IA

I'd like to make a nomination for best post ever!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Big fan of the Embassy Suites at Navy Pier. That being said, my job paid for my stay (I was taking a mandatory class next door to the Sears Tower) and it was not an inexpensive trip.