Home brew

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I enjoyed brewing but here are a few things I don't like:

If your going spend the time you may as well do a 5 gallon batch. With a 5 gallon batch, your talking 50 bottles of beer. I like a lot of variety.

My results were just average. I would rank Miller Lite, Bud Light, etc. a 1.5. I would rank most of the beer I made a 3. The problem is that there are so many 4+ craft beers out there that I like. I've also tried other peoples home brew and none of them were great IMO. I'd rather take the money that I was spending on brewing and make a beer run to pick of some beer from Toppling Goliath, 3floyds, Bells, Surly, etc. that tastes a lot better than I could produce.

I will say that it was great learning experience and made me appreciate the work required to make a good beer.

I'm a pretty big beer nerd, drink a lot of different beer, pretty active in trading beer on BA and people ask me all the time if I brew. I tell them absolutely not. I do not have the patience required to overcome the learning curve. I want to start at the top and that's just not possible. I would rather spend some money, buy some quality beer, drink it and not have to worry about it. I'm sure its a great hobby and I'd love to brew with someone some day, but its just not something that I've got a burning desire to do right now.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I was in CA the first week in April and went to Russian River and Lagunitas. Lagunitas doesn't hold a candle to Russian River... (Though the brewery/bar/restaurant was actually much better than Russian River's).

I like Lagunitas usually, but we got the sampler which was 16 4 oz pours. Honestly, they almost all had the same underlying hop taste, which frankly, was a little skunky for me (there is a reason there is a 420 on the label IMO). I only enjoyed 2 or 3 of the 16. Russian River had 24 2 oz pours, and they were 24 distinct beers. I enjoyed 20-22 of them (not a brown ale fan unless it is a sour brown ale).

For homebrewing, I started brewing because I couldn't get certain beers I wanted to try in NYC. So, I brewed up a Shirley Ferocious, (Surly Furious), and a Black IPA and was pretty much hooked. Bell's was impossible to get in NYC, so I did the Two Hearted clone. Now I brew what I like to drink... Imperial IPAs, IPAs, & American ESBs (I love Bitter Brewer) are my every day beers. Beyond that, I brew what tends to be pricey and available only in belgians. Since I don't drink nearly as much as I used to, I've been doing this more and more as these beers actually improve with age. The one brett beer I've got in carboys has been there for 3 years... I've still got about 5 bottles left of an oak aged ale I did 6 years ago. Given that I've got 8 carboys, I'll probably do a batch of wine in the near future just to try...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Favorite beers that I can remember right now:

JW Lee's Harvest Ale (2008 was great) Runs $10-50 per 12 oz bottle depending on what vintage
Baladin Xyauyu ($50-70 per 50 cL bottle...)
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (Last I saw this it was going for $8 a bottle)

Russian River Pliny the Younger (can't get this regularly, will do a clone soon)
Russian River Pliny the Elder (can't get this regularly, will do a clone soon)
Firestone Walker Double Jack

Southern Tier UnEarthly (both oak and unoaked versions)
Deschutes Inversian IPA
Surly Abrasive Ale
Brooklyn Detonation

Surly Wet
Brooklyn Blast!

Lambics/Bretts

Surly 5 (I was lucky to have this once... I'm sure it's basically gone now so would like to do a clone)
Russian River Consecration

And then I'm fair game for any of these series:

Boulevard Smokestack Series
Brooklyn Brewery's Brewmaster Reserve Series (on tap only, and rotating menu)
Surly's Annual Anniversary Limited edition

I'm forgetting a ton, but my beer tastes trend toward Bretts, Lambics, Imperial IPAs and really, really strong Barley Wine type beers...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
Just saw this article. At first it sounds crazy expensive but if it looks like it would save you a ton of time.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...beer-brewing-kitchen-appliance-is-on-its-way/

http://picobrew.com/

I remember reading a forum last fall on that thing; I don't recall if it was homebrewtalk or somewhere else. A lot of people compared it to a bread machine or a keurig. I don't know if that's a fair comparison and I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for using one. I'm sure it makes fine beer, but it kind of takes away from the fun parts of the hobby for me. I like the ritual of a brew day and I like constantly tweaking, rigging, modifying or otherwise kludging my set-up.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I'm a hop head. Some if my favorites IPA's:

lagunitas Sucks
3floyds Zombie Dust
Stone Ruination
Bells two hearted
Hopslam
Odell IPA
Toppling Goliath Psuedo Sue
Surly-I like 3 of them
Steel Toe Size 7
Racer 5
Sculpin IPA
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

in your neck of the woods , I like Lucky Bucket and want to try some from the Nebraska brewing company.

and about 5o other IPA's

i did try out something different (for me) the other day at Red Monk. I tried my first Lambic and loved it. The good news is that I'm going to Belgium in about 4 months and they supposedly make the best Lambics. I'm not a huge fan of quads that always rank so high.

I will have to try and get my hands on some of these. As for Nebraska Brewing, I recommend the golden BB (Formally Hopgod) and Brunette nut brown. Great beers. The aged ones are the best but pricey (Golden BB and Melange)

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
I just transferred my rye pale ale to a secondary fermenter and dry hopped with an additional 2oz of cascade. That is the most amazing smell. They need to make hop air fresheners or somthing, I would love it if my house smelled like that all the time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron