Hoiberg taking ISU to the next level his way

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
First, I am 100% convinced that ISU will be in the final four within the next couple of years. That BS call against OSU was the difference between an early exit and the final four last year. Fred is bringing in impact talent - not just middle of the big12 talent - but future NBA talent. He is doing it with high school kids (Custer, Morris, Thomas all top 100 players) and calculated JUCO's and transfers (too many to list, but they have all had huge impacts). He is doing it HIS way. A way many questioned from the outset.

ISU will never be able to recruit toe-to-toe with Kansas and Kentucky, at least right now. Fred knows this - it is the landscape of college basketball today. But his ability to go out and bring in star talent, coach them up, and put all of the pieces together with almost zero off the court issues is incredible. And they are playing team ball. Non one-on-one isolation crap. We are seeing before our eyes ISU take a step up in basketball. Once we break through and make a big time splash in the tourney (and conference), recruiting will pick up even more. ISU will become a destination school - a step closer to being a peer with MSU, Syracuse, Lousiville, etc.... We will start landing some blue-chippers out of high school whereas today, its just a pipe dream.

Fred is doing what many questioned being possible - taking ISU to elite status. We are all witness. What a great time to be a cyclone.

I would like a sample of your finest Kool-Aid good sir.

I agree Fred is giving us a chance to get back to where the Floyd/Eustachy era had the program before Natty Lite-gate broke out, but Final Fours are such a crapshoot. One big key is getting a high enough seed to give yourself an easier path to the Sweet 16, and we haven't been able to do that yet. I have no doubts that Fred is starting piece together talent that can do that, though.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Custer when committing called Fred the most genuine, and competitive person he has ever met. It is astounding what a person can do when they truly believe in what they are doing. Fred will surpass any previous success we have had.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
If you want to be cautious and point out the negative possibilities, go right ahead. People are very excited and rightfully so. Everybody is just discussing the potential of this program and nobody is going overboard imo.

What he is saying is that there is a segment of sunshine pumpers on here that work themselves into a frenzy of great seasons to come. Then they get mad at people for not being as good of a fan as they are.

These same people are the first ones to start ripping away when we lose a game we shouldn't. Look at football threads, other than the hawk trolls here to **** on Iowa State, many of the most vocal predicted 6+ wins.

Look at the last two seasons, we played terrible leading into the conference season, and everyone panicked. How many Bobby Lutz references did we see two years ago? How many not sweating enough stupid posts did we see?

Don't get ahead of yourself. That should be the message. We are a new team again this year. It will be fine, and I expect to make a run at the NCAA's. But that doesn't mean that it will be smooth sailing.

gbaba

Sep 20, 2012
underthetemple
We were "going to the Final 4" in 2002 as well when we had a run in with a tiny private school from Virginia. All I'm saying here is in the NCAA Tournament, anything can happen, any given year. We could have to play in the First 4 this year, and still make it to the Final 4, or we could go undefeated, have the #1 overall seed, and lose in the 3rd round to a 9 seed.

If you're making the argument that we could be "Final 4-caliber" in the next few years, then I would agree. The team last year, and this years team are not "Final 4-caliber" despite almost advancing to the Sweet 16 last year. Had we defeated Ohio State, it would have been a monumental upset. They were "Final 4-caliber" Iowa State was not, even though they were flirting with the idea of advancing that far.

Anything can happen, but the more often you are in the tourney, the better your odds become.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Just gonna bump this. Took some heat for suggesting we get to the final four soon, maybe even this year. Eat a fat one haters.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Just gonna bump this. Took some heat for suggesting we get to the final four soon, maybe even this year. Eat a fat one haters.
Bumping your bold prediction thread and taking a swipe at Iowa. Well done.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Wasn't there a writer who picked iowa state to finish 10th in the big 12 preseason?