Hoiberg taking ISU to the next level his way

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I love the enthusiasm, but take a step back. I still think we lose 4 non conf games this year, and then half this board will be screaming to fire people.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
True, but our own coach said he was confident we'd have made the Final 4 if we'd gotten past OSU.

You twisted his words. Not to mention...what's he supposed to say?

I personally didn't like our chances without Babb. With a healthy Babb I liked our chances against just about anyone. People need to remember that Babb was done for the tourney. Hanging tough for 1 half is different than a whole game, then another, then another.

None of this changes the fact that I'm excited for the future but I was a witness to the 2nd best team in the tournament not making the FF. We will be fortunate to have the 2nd best team in the country ever again.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We were playing just as well as anybody at that point. We got bent over and dry hammered by the refs.

I would argue our offense was final four talent...but our defense was definitely not. A couple more stops, and that call doesn't matter.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You twisted his words. Not to mention...what's he supposed to say?

I personally didn't like our chances without Babb. With a healthy Babb I liked our chances against just about anyone. People need to remember that Babb was done for the tourney. Hanging tough for 1 half is different than a whole game, then another, then another.

None of this changes the fact that I'm excited for the future but I was a witness to the 2nd best team in the tournament not making the FF. We will be fortunate to have the 2nd best team in the country ever again.

I've heard him say that he thought we had a really good chance to make the Final 4.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
Outside of calling for the Final Four, I love this thread. After the crotch shot of a football season, we need our Hoiball fix and a Kool Aid flavored basketball loving post.

And to the person that posted earlier: even if this is a down year no one will be calling for Hoiberg or the anyone on the staff to be fired. If we are competitive and not getting dropped by 30pts a game I predict a level headed year from the fans. I would be extremely happy with the NCAAs, but I understand this might be an off year if the team doesn't gel. If we are sitting home in March it's certainly not the end of the world.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I love the enthusiasm, but take a step back. I still think we lose 4 non conf games this year, and then half this board will be screaming to fire people.

If you want to be cautious and point out the negative possibilities, go right ahead. People are very excited and rightfully so. Everybody is just discussing the potential of this program and nobody is going overboard imo.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
False. Babb would of been guarding Deshaun Thomas, not Aaron Craft. Our team played that last play how it was supposed to be played. Their 3 point shooters were covered and Niang/Ejim were playing to stop the lane. Craft has no 3 point shot and has a poor percentage plus you figure they want to try and draw a foul or get into the lane with 5 seconds left not launch a 3.

If Babb had played the second half, the game would not have come down to that shot as we would have been up by more than 3 points. With Babb, OSU would not have scored as many points, and we would have scored more.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
B2v5Qzm.png

Wow...that is a pretty big woody...

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
It is impossible to not be excited to see the potential future line ups, w/ or w/o RV. I picked up season tickets as soon as CFH became coach and hearing about the first set of transfers that he had sitting out, expecting to see some top 25 basketball. Mid-way through last season I am convinced that CFH will have ISU as a final four caliber team within 8 years at the helm.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We were "going to the Final 4" in 2002 as well when we had a run in with a tiny private school from Virginia. All I'm saying here is in the NCAA Tournament, anything can happen, any given year. We could have to play in the First 4 this year, and still make it to the Final 4, or we could go undefeated, have the #1 overall seed, and lose in the 3rd round to a 9 seed.

If you're making the argument that we could be "Final 4-caliber" in the next few years, then I would agree. The team last year, and this years team are not "Final 4-caliber" despite almost advancing to the Sweet 16 last year. Had we defeated Ohio State, it would have been a monumental upset. They were "Final 4-caliber" Iowa State was not, even though they were flirting with the idea of advancing that far.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
One thing that is just starting to pay off for us in recruiting and will only continue to help us, is that the media LOVES Fred (you would have to be a Hawkeye not to).

He gets great pub all the time. They talk about his style, and how he exploits mismatches. That is going to pay off in recruiting as more HS coaches and players get to know his reputation.

I don't know about that. Jerry Palm and all of Sportsline thinks that ISU is a total joke. While they've written a few nice articles about Fred, more often than not, they are very derogatory towards us. People still pick us to finish dead last in the Big 12 after consecutive tournament runs (granted that is USA Today and a Texas Tech writer). While some people are starting to jump on the Hoiberg bandwagon, it's pretty obvious that there are still plenty of people that want us to fail. Refs still won't give us a single call, either. To be honest, I think we will get hosed by the ref's a couple of times this year as well. We're a few years away from being respected by everybody. As harsh as this may sound, it's the truth about us. Fred is the right guy to make us a program that will eventually be respected.

The only reason Hawkeye fans don't like Fred is because they are very scared of him. Hawk fans know he's a great coach (even though he doesn't do things "the right way") and that we will eventually beat them year-in and year-out.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
We were "going to the Final 4" in 2002 as well when we had a run in with a tiny private school from Virginia. All I'm saying here is in the NCAA Tournament, anything can happen, any given year. We could have to play in the First 4 this year, and still make it to the Final 4, or we could go undefeated, have the #1 overall seed, and lose in the 3rd round to a 9 seed.

If you're making the argument that we could be "Final 4-caliber" in the next few years, then I would agree. The team last year, and this years team are not "Final 4-caliber" despite almost advancing to the Sweet 16 last year. Had we defeated Ohio State, it would have been a monumental upset. They were "Final 4-caliber" Iowa State was not, even though they were flirting with the idea of advancing that far.

I agree that a bit of luck is required to make a Final Four, that's why I mentioned caliber. I think Big 12 favorites/champs might be a better way to approach it. It is getting hard to stay grounded for this season, as I'm sure we will have to deal with a lot of growing pains. Sunday can't get here quick enough!

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
We need to get a 4 seed or under before we talk like this. not 7-10 seed where we run into the 1-2 seed 2nd round on their home court.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
I can appreciate all the "like the attitude, but back up a bit" comments. I fully understand that nothing is guaranteed and the NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. I've considered that. I wouldn't be shocked if we get upset in the first round once or twice too in the next half decade. But if we keep knocking on the door, and we will, we are eventually going to kick the damn thing in at some point.

I've had my nuts steel toed in and smashed black/blue by this years football team. It's not been pretty around my house on Saturdays this year. I'll be the first to admit I sip the kool-aid but I can typically step back and be pretty objective. If ISU basketball was a stock, I am buying big time right now. This school, with our location, history, facilities, etc, is much more apt to develop a big time basketball program than a football one. Throw in Hoiberg, what he's done, who hes bringing in and its tough to not see anything but success. Especially when he just turned down a potential Celtics job. I realize injuries can happen, bad bounces, etc. But even with that, great things are on the horizon.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I can appreciate all the "like the attitude, but back up a bit" comments. I fully understand that nothing is guaranteed and the NCAA tourney is a crapshoot. I've considered that. I wouldn't be shocked if we get upset in the first round once or twice too in the next half decade. But if we keep knocking on the door, and we will, we are eventually going to kick the damn thing in at some point.

I've had my nuts steel toed in and smashed black/blue by this years football team. It's not been pretty around my house on Saturdays this year. I'll be the first to admit I sip the kool-aid but I can typically step back and be pretty objective. If ISU basketball was a stock, I am buying big time right now. This school, with our location, history, facilities, etc, is much more apt to develop a big time basketball program than a football one. Throw in Hoiberg, what he's done, who hes bringing in and its tough to not see anything but success. Especially when he just turned down a potential Celtics job. I realize injuries can happen, bad bounces, etc. But even with that, great things are on the horizon.

That is I what I meant to say. And what fun is there in talking on a message board about being a potential Sweet 16 team someday. Aim high, I'm sure CFH is.

Help Support Us

Become a patron