Hilton South

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was kind of disappointed that a lot of people waited for us to beat KU to come down, The people that were down there from the first tip did a great job representing though we were outnumbered by KU fans in the Sprint, The bars at P&L during the game seemed to have KU fans outnumbered.

So you didn't go to the game?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
The beer was not a big factor in our attendance.

Many of us have jobs that we can't walk out on with short notice...and limited vacation time. We bought tickets Friday night and headed down Saturday morning. We could have stayed home if you'd prefer?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. People weren't "waiting for us to beat KU" to go down, they were waiting for their work week to get done to come down.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was kind of disappointed that a lot of people waited for us to beat KU to come down, The people that were down there from the first tip did a great job representing though we were outnumbered by KU fans in the Sprint, The bars at P&L during the game seemed to have KU fans outnumbered.

If we sold beer to everyone at Hilton and had this kind of success, we'd have to add a few more seats.

This means that we would have had to buy more full strip tickets early than KU fans. On the day of the game, there were not enough tickets in the hands of scalpers to make it possible for us to outnumber KU for the Friday game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If anyone is interested, there's a short video just posted on Cyclones.com...a thank you from the team & coach for the fan turnout. :)

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
We were down for all 3 games. Each and every one of them was special and electric. After the K-State game, the fans in purple became Cyclone fans, after KU beat OSU, the Cowpokes became Cyclone fans. The whole week/weekend will be a memory for the ages. I strongly suggest that Cyclone nation plan to attend in 2015, and let's fill up Hilton South again! Sprint Magic!

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
So you didn't go to the game?

I couldn't afford tickets for the KU game, I attended the KState and Championship games for less money than I would have had to pay for a KU ticket.

Was glad to have any Iowa State fans who came, I took off work for the tourney months ago so I was lucky to be able to be there to support them through the entire tourney.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I couldn't afford tickets for the KU game, I attended the KState and Championship games for less money than I would have had to pay for a KU ticket.

Was glad to have any Iowa State fans who came, I took off work for the tourney months ago so I was lucky to be able to be there to support them through the entire tourney.

Let me get this straight...you're calling us out for not attending the KU game when you didn't either?

I put in a full day's work on Friday, as did my husband. We watched the KSU game during an extended lunch hour and the KU game at home. We then did a one day road trip to watch the team compete for the championship (we came home Saturday night). You took two, maybe three days off of work to watch the KSU game, spend megabucks at the bars on Friday and watch the KU game in a bar, then go to the championship game, and somehow YOU are disappointed in US???

Mucho grande cojones...

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Let me get this straight...you're calling us out for not attending the KU game when you didn't either?

I put in a full day's work on Friday, as did my husband. We watched the KSU game during an extended lunch hour and the KU game at home. We then did a one day road trip to watch the team compete for the championship (we came home Saturday night). You took two, maybe three days off of work to watch the KSU game, spend megabucks at the bars on Friday and watch the KU game in a bar, then go to the championship game, and somehow YOU are disappointed in US???

Mucho grande cojones...

I didn't call you out for not attending, I said I was disappointed that so many people didn't come down until after we had beat KU. The support for Iowa State on Friday was far beyond just what made it into the Sprint Center and it made an awesome atmosphere all around KC. Would have been incredible to have even half of the people that came down Saturday there for Friday evening.

Next year just plan on winning the whole damn thing and take the extended weekend (;

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
On Friday KU fans outnumbered ISU fans 3 to 1. still very respectable considering lawrence is like 30 minutes from there and it's a KU town.

Sorry to quibble with you. But when we were at the Sprint Center for the ISU-KU game, our group discussed and debated the approximate ratios. We decided it was no more than a 2:1 ratio in favor of KU fans, and possibly closer to a 3:2 ratio. And there was no doubt that the average ISU fan generated more noise than the average KU fan, probably because we knew that we needed to match their volume. I was so thankful we got the reinforcements for the Baylor game, because some of us had vocal-chord damage following the KState and KU victories.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Ticket pricing explains how many people decided to show up after the ISU vs. KU game. Most of the tickets were sold for face value right after the KU game, but they suddenly went up by good 50 bucks next day.

It was really nice to see all the Clone fans in KC whole weekend. I am still trying to recover from screaming my lungs out for three days in a row. Glad I don't live too far from KC to make this trip.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Haven't had a chance to comment on the KC experience a lot. Immediately following the win over KU, we looked online and snatched up 4 row 7 tickets for the ISU/Baylor game. As we drove from DSM down to KC, we passed or were passed by numerous cars with ISU flag/plates/stickers and we'd all wave at each other .

Once we got down to the Sprint Center, I couldn't believe what I saw. Just an endless sea of cardinal and gold. When we turned the corner to enter into the KC Live area, my jaw just dropped. I've never seen a gathering like this outside of Ames. I was so impressed and proud of our fan base. The pep rally was great and it was so awesome just partying with so many ISU fans. I felt like I had 20,000 new friends.

Once we got into the Sprint Center and it began to fill up, the vibe was already electric. The crowd was really into the game, even during the bad first half. As soon as 3sus and Ejim nailed those first two 3-pointers around the 6-7 minute mark, the place just went nuts. I was at the Michigan Iowa and OSU games at Hilton this year. The Sprint Center rivaled those games. People were cheering, clapping and yelling through the whole game, especially in the end. I can't remember being more proud of our fanbase than this game. This place really, truly became Hilton South.

I didn't have the fortune of being at the ISU/Oklahoma State football game back in 2011, so for me, this was my all-time favorite Cyclone experience. The only thing that could top this would be winning the whole damn thing!

I'll agree about the whole KC Live thing. On Thursday and Friday, ISU fans represented well. We were easily the second biggest fanbase in the arena and outside (I think a lot of KU fans just go home after their games instead of partying). But Saturday? Entering that KC Live area, you'd have to have been there in person to really grasp how big of a takeover it was. I'd say it was more packed than either of the two previous days and it was almost ALL Cyclone fans. I'm talking wall to wall, can't hardly move, impossible to get a table anywhere packed. I'd like to see the number of people who drove down Saturday morning, because it had to number in the thousands...like 7-8k at least.

We only had rooms for Thursday and Friday...struggled to find a hotel for Saturday after we won and it was not cheap. Also had quite a few people who I wouldn't say are diehard fans that came down and had an absolute blast. P&L, Westport, the Plaza, it didn't matter, there were Cyclone fans everywhere.

Help Support Us

Become a patron