High School Playoffs Expand

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
I'm not too sure I like this idea. I know more kids get to participate, but I think it takes away from the accomplishment.

When we made the playoffs it was a huge deal. Back then it was on the old point system and not the system they have now.

DesMoinesRegister.com

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
I agree....with the new system I would have been able to play playoff football, but we wern't very good. All you will see is blowouts in the 1 vs. 4 games. Hell, you see them in the playoffs now every once in a while.

VII_Fe

Oct 29, 2006
Mahomet, IL
I agree....with the new system I would have been able to play playoff football, but we wern't very good. All you will see is blowouts in the 1 vs. 4 games. Hell, you see them in the playoffs now every once in a while.

Illinois has 8 YES EIGHT classes of football, each have 32 teams in. IF you go 6-3 you are in, most 5-4 teams make it, as well as some 4-5 teams.

TOTAL JOKE!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I actually kind of like the new system. I'm sure it has flaws but I remember a few years back my old high school team was in a 3-way tie for first in their district and they got left out. The kicker is, they beat both teams that they tied with! They lost a couple games they shouldn't have, though.

H

HGPuck

In general it should be good for class 2 and 3A were every year there are some good teams that don't make it and the margin for error is pretty small in some districts. 4A it will seem like a few too many teams a lot of years and I don't really know enough about the smaller classes to have a valid opinion.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Yes it is definitely needed in 2A every year there are good teams that are 7-2 that tie for the district title and don't make the playoffs. My Junior year we went 8-1 lost to the #1 team in the state at the time 15-14 at their play and we didn't make the playoffs. Plus we were ranked 6th at the end of the regular season. 4-A doesn't need it there aren't enough teams and they already have teams that are 5-4 make it.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
All it means to me is more high school football, and that is never a bad thing.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
I agree that in the lower classes it is a good thing, but definetelly not in 4A. That means that 32 out of 48 will make the playoffs? That's 2/3 of the teams! I was irritated by the IHSAA that for a couple years 8 Man and 4A had the same amount of teams, but only 8 teams made playoffs in 8 Man, which were all the district champions. Meanwhile in 4A, some 5-4 teams were in the playoffs.

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
This is another sign of the pussification of the U S of A.

I'm happy because no little kids will get their feelings hurt by not qualifying for the playoffs.

It's also a straight money grab by the administrators of the IHSAA. Sickening.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

I'm happy because no little kids will get their feelings hurt by not qualifying for the playoffs.

hey! I have a trademark on that phrase! ... nice use and context though

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Maybe Davenport North will actually make the playoffs one of these years now that Davenport Assumption, Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley, and Muscatine aren't taking up all available spots...

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I played in sub-state back in 96' for DPort West. we had 4 teams from the Mac play each other in substate. We were #2 in the state so its only fair that we played #1 Assumption in the 1st frickin round!
ANyway, how is this much different than having the substate back then til now?

hilbs31

Apr 1, 2006
Illinois has 8 YES EIGHT classes of football, each have 32 teams in. IF you go 6-3 you are in, most 5-4 teams make it, as well as some 4-5 teams.

TOTAL JOKE!

Illinois also has 764 schools as opposed to Iowa's 395. You are right, Illinois does have 8 football classes and Iowa has 4. However, in every other sport, Illinois has had a 2 class system. That is changing to a 3 and even 4 class system for the upcoming year.

Those are the facts. Now my opinion. As you can imagine, when you make the state level competition in Illinois, you have accomplished something. In Iowa, all seem to be welcome. By qualifying for state, you really have not done a whole heck of a lot. Also, I would say that top to bottom, Illinois has better talent than Iowa.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I agree with that. I do see the point from another angle. I grew up in Atlantic, and we were in the same conference as Harlan. There were many times when Atlantic only had one or two losses, and didn't go. So there are cases where the teams deserve it. This is probably too much of an expansion. Maybe add four wild cards or something to deal with deserving teams.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Everybody has a story about the big name school in their district ... for me it was Britt & Emmetsburg ... I think the expansion should be considered based on how many schools are in each class. It sounds like the bigger schools are going to be the problem with sub-.500 teams getting in.

You'd have to expand the **** out of it before 4-5 teams in 1A-3A got in