Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
ugh, I didn't love the look of the Versa and had read a lot of people having issues with those breaking. I do love the sleep tracking though, the Samsung I'm trialing definitely isn't as good at that and always lower on steps.
I've been using a Garmin vivofit for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I never have to take it off to charge, because it uses a watch battery. I have a complete record of my sleep pattern for the entire time I've been wearing it. Only drawback is I have to put on a chest strap to take heart rate, so if you want to know your heart rate throughout the day, it will be a non-starter for you. However, I've read that the heartrate monitor on the watch itself isn't very reliable, so it doesn't bother me that much. I just wear it during workouts.

Reactions: cowgirl836

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been looking into different exercise watches and am curious if anyone else has any input or experiences they’ve had with different make and models.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I've been using a Garmin vivofit for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I never have to take it off to charge, because it uses a watch battery. I have a complete record of my sleep pattern for the entire time I've been wearing it. Only drawback is I have to put on a chest strap to take heart rate, so if you want to know your heart rate throughout the day, it will be a non-starter for you. However, I've read that the heartrate monitor on the watch itself isn't very reliable, so it doesn't bother me that much. I just wear it during workouts.

All the Garmin's seemed pretty solid

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Not to hijack the thread but I’ve been looking into different exercise watches and am curious if anyone else has any input or experiences they’ve had with different make and models.

I was a fitbit person and the fitbit charge 3 seems pretty good. I'm kind of sick of them dying or bands breaking so I'm branching out. I was also interested in something that looked more like a watch which leads me away from the charge 3. The reviews for it are pretty good.
I'm in the 2nd week of trying the Samsung Active 2 and it's pretty good. The steps and sleep are not as accurate as the Fitbits but I do like the smart features more than I thought I would. Very intuitive to use which sold me on it over the Garmin Venu which has a better battery life.

Reactions: clone4life82

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
"As your attorney I advise you to drink heavily."
fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-and-wake-in-fright-2.jpg
I've already been doing that.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Maybe some of you fighting the fight will know this.

I'm trying hard to control portion sizes. There have been times where I'll buy a meal.....like a Costco Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The lable says the calorie count per serving. Am I to assume its an equal serving between the meat and the mashed?

It says 12 servings. Is that 6 meat and 6 carb or a 12th of each?

It kind of screws things up if I don't take a full serving of the carb in these meals.

Also, calories for meat. Pre-cooked or Post? There was a 2 oz difference in my pork chop

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

I'm trying hard to control portion sizes. There have been times where I'll buy a meal.....like a Costco Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The lable says the calorie count per serving. Am I to assume its an equal serving between the meat and the mashed?

It kind of screws things up if I don't take a full serving of the carb in these meals.

Also, calories for meat. Pre-cooked or Post? There was a 2 oz difference in my pork chop
The calories for raw vs cooked meat is something that throws me every time. In MFP I have to get very specific about the state of the meat at the time that I weigh it, or else the nutrition values are obviously wrong. Meat loses volume (and weight) during cooking.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The calories for raw vs cooked meat is something that throws me every time. In MFP I have to get very specific about the state of the meat at the time that I weigh it, or else the nutrition values are obviously wrong. Meat loses volume (and weight) during cooking.

I'm using MFP too. Seems like I have to do a best guess quite often

That's fine. It still makes me think about my choices and results are coming

....but I'm ready for some Star Trek technology where my phone analyzes the food and does the work for me

Reactions: harimad

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Since this thread has picked back up, and the premium LoseIt app I purchased year ago renews automatically, I'm getting back after it. I'll be a best man in a wedding this summer (I thought those days were 10 years behind me), so I need to not dread the fitting.

Reactions: harimad

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Since this thread has picked back up, and the premium LoseIt app I purchased year ago renews automatically, I'm getting back after it. I'll be a best man in a wedding this summer (I thought those days were 10 years behind me), so I need to not dread the fitting.
Nice! I started a round of Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss protocol two weeks ago, and the results are already noticeable. There's a dress hanging in my closet that I want to wear to a charity dinner in four weeks. Between the diet and my lifting sessions, I'm certain that I'm going to be able to rock it this year.

Reactions: Cyientist

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My niece got married in January and fortunately I had lost enough weight to wear the suit I bought 5 years ago. If I can reach my goal I might be able to wear the suit I bought 23 years ago at my nephew's wedding this summer.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019

Pre-made meals are tough in this aspect, but it can be navigated. What the manufacturer does is takes the nutritional value of all the food they are giving you and then dividing it by the number of servings they see fit. A lot of times they will give the serving size in grams or ounces. So if a serving size is 10 oz, this means 5 ounces should be made up of your meatloaf and 5 ounce from your mashed potatoes. The easiest way to look at it is if you put it all into a blender and mixed it up, thats how your measurements would be done.
The other part of your question is, in reality, there isn't really a large difference between pre-cooked and post cooked meats. Now, for lean meats (turkey, chicken, etc) there is no little to absolutely no difference. It is only in the meats that are higher in fat that you see a difference, aka beef and pork. But the change is still pretty small and not sure I would worry about it. If anything, it will push your macros more into the fatty area and you can adjust by eating less fats throughout the day to hit your goal

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Pre-made meals are tough in this aspect, but it can be navigated. What the manufacturer does is takes the nutritional value of all the food they are giving you and then dividing it by the number of servings they see fit. A lot of times they will give the serving size in grams or ounces. So if a serving size is 10 oz, this means 5 ounces should be made up of your meatloaf and 5 ounce from your mashed potatoes. The easiest way to look at it is if you put it all into a blender and mixed it up, thats how your measurements would be done.
The other part of your question is, in reality, there isn't really a large difference between pre-cooked and post cooked meats. Now, for lean meats (turkey, chicken, etc) there is no little to absolutely no difference. It is only in the meats that are higher in fat that you see a difference, aka beef and pork. But the change is still pretty small and not sure I would worry about it. If anything, it will push your macros more into the fatty area and you can adjust by eating less fats throughout the day to hit your goal

Appreciate the feedback and putting the idea in my head to throw the meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the blender

Lordy that sounds amazing

• Funny
Reactions: SouthernCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Appreciate the feedback and putting the idea in my head to throw the meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the blender

Lordy that sounds amazing

Meat is always measured before cooking.

Blended meat would make me feel like I’m 90 with no teeth. Guess it’s like a protein shake though

• Funny
Reactions: baller21

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My niece got married in January and fortunately I had lost enough weight to wear the suit I bought 5 years ago. If I can reach my goal I might be able to wear the suit I bought 23 years ago at my nephew's wedding this summer.

Nice job. Only 2 weeks into mine (maybe 3) and the worst part is gone, getting a system set. Going at 3 lbs a week or so. See where I plateau and then figure it out

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The less you eat the less frequent your grocery trips. Just sayin'. The coronovirus restrictions are not an excuse to backslide. ;)
Ha, and less TP usage!

I REALLY miss being able to run outside baseline, but right now that is also the best way to stay healthy. Stupid arthritis! Oh well, sick and self-quarantining anyways.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I want to lose weight without being hungry. It gets distracting and I’ve not found a good method for dealing with it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron