Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I flatlined my loss this month. Need to get back to what I was doing. Wearing clothes that I nearly got rid of and back into an old suit I bought a while ago. See pictures and shake my head at what I did to myself.

My wife is near her marriage weight, I’m a ways from that but not looking at that either, I was in incredible shape then.
I 've been hovering between 192-195 for a while now. I consider that acceptable but would still rather get down to 185. I've still been working out so I must be replacing some fat with muscle. Just not enough.
Too many alcohol calories and bread calories.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been thinking a little about this thread. Had put my LifeTime membership on hold last summer and added it back this spring. The old perpetually sore rotator cuffs (slight tears) had turned more painful than sore in the time away from the physical therapists directed sets of cable pull rehab exercises. They are back to being pretty happy shoulder joints again. Arms are also starting to look like something with some shape again.

Did chuckle to myself doing bench press yesterday, doing super low weights for a guy cause right front rotator is slightly torn and not looking to kill it. Much weigh on the old standby bench press just doesn't feel right for it yet. Anyway, the chuckle was from watching the small petite gal next to me racking on weights. Would be bad if I was not so old and pretty much immune to weight shaming. ;)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I 've been hovering between 192-195 for a while now. I consider that acceptable but would still rather get down to 185. I've still been working out so I must be replacing some fat with muscle. Just not enough.
My pants are a smidge looser this month so I know I’m still trimming up some. 10 more and I would be at my lightest in 15-17 years.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
When you say "healthy options that don't include eggs" are you precluding sausage, bacon and other meat? Keto/low carb is pretty challenging if you still view meat and some associated fat with them as "unhealthy". When on the road, either at someone else's house or in a hotel, eggs are a life saver for eating clean. When driving in the car, Jerky, cheese, almonds are great alternatives to fast food. Not perfect, just better than what you would eat otherwise at the drive through.
Majority of my breakfasts are eggs and bacon (2 eggs, 1-2 slices of bacon); omelette (cheese, peppers and a slice of deli turkey). The other breakfast meal is fried egg, cheese slice and deli turkey on top. It is kind of like a egg mcmuffin without the muffin.

Reactions: norcalcy

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Cut way back on pasta....and I love pasta.

Last week made some for the first time in a few months. Went ******* chaos with that meal.

Pasta is my Achilles heel....and fresh bread with butter.

Now that it's fall my body is really craving carbs, calories and sleep
I had a spiralizer and have done some spiralized zucchini pasta a couple times. It is a little difficult because I have a picky six-year old so I have to make something different for her if she doesn't eat the zucchini. I found that adding a little garlic powder to the spiralized zucchini helps get rid of the "planty" taste when I saute it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My pants are a smidge looser this month so I know I’m still trimming up some. 10 more and I would be at my lightest in 15-17 years.
I now weigh about the same as I did 10 years ago. I remember that because I went to the UCONN game and I had just switched to wearing 36 inch waist jeans. Still wearing 36 but I throw them in the dryer after I wash them. Certain days I feel like I can wear a 34 other days I don't.

Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I had a spiralizer and have done some spiralized zucchini pasta a couple times. It is a little difficult because I have a picky six-year old so I have to make something different for her if she doesn't eat the zucchini. I found that adding a little garlic powder to the spiralized zucchini helps get rid of the "planty" taste when I saute it.
Buy whole beets and peel them and use them instead of potatoes in a pot roast. Just tell them they are red potatoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCClone

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
I lost 40 pounds (231->191) over 7 months.

Here’s my advice:

1. Learn the basics…it all comes back to CICO at the end of the day and if you are in a caloric deficit. There’s so much BS about slowing metabolism, set point weight, and people who think they were born to be obese.

Here is a good starting point: https://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

A professor in exercise science lost weight eating junk food which proves weight loss boils down to CICO.

2. Tracking calories on MyFitnessPal and weighing myself daily on my Renpho scale ($20) which then sent the data to my phone app made it easier to stay on track and stay motivated. Especially when the number on the scale stalled for 3-4 weeks a few times. I’d even chart out 7 day averages in Excel to smoothen out the daily fluctuation later on.

3.The reason people get fat is they eat calorically dense food, and foods which increase hunger signals/reduce satiety signals causing them to eat more with lack of movement being a more minor factor. I focused on eating foods which have been shown to reduce hunger signals or are low calorie which I could eat in volume…avocados, Ezekiel bread, grapefruit, black coffee, whey protein, chicken, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, watermelon, carrots. I avoided the “hunger demon” foods 99% of the time, or if I did eat them, it was only after volume eating vegetables or something low calorie. Rarely ate ice cream, fast food (Chipotle is my exception), no soda, no cereal (Cheerios is a low sugar exception), didn’t really drink much milk, no cream and sugar in coffee, no candy, no alcohol, and I would often substitute for lower calorie alternatives to make my CICO math work out easier (sub frozen Jack’s pizza for Target brand and regular maple syrup for light maple syrup). I learned certain fruits are also worse than others. Apples and bananas are some of the most popular fruits but also the highest calorie.

4. Working out was a minor factor. I did 20 minute workouts from BullyJuice on YouTube but that was usually it. Exercising to lose weight is very overrated. The only reason to exercise is heart and mental health plus it will help you maintain muscle and bone mass while you lose weight.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I lost 40 pounds (231->191) over 7 months.

Here’s my advice:

1. Learn the basics…it all comes back to CICO at the end of the day and if you are in a caloric deficit. There’s so much BS about slowing metabolism, set point weight, and people who think they were born to be obese.

Here is a good starting point: https://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

A professor in exercise science lost weight eating junk food which proves weight loss boils down to CICO.

2. Tracking calories on MyFitnessPal and weighing myself daily on my Renpho scale ($20) which then sent the data to my phone app made it easier to stay on track and stay motivated. Especially when the number on the scale stalled for 3-4 weeks a few times. I’d even chart out 7 day averages in Excel to smoothen out the daily fluctuation later on.

3.The reason people get fat is they eat calorically dense food, and foods which increase hunger signals/reduce satiety signals causing them to eat more with lack of movement being a more minor factor. I focused on eating foods which have been shown to reduce hunger signals or are low calorie which I could eat in volume…avocados, Ezekiel bread, grapefruit, black coffee, whey protein, chicken, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, watermelon, carrots. I avoided the “hunger demon” foods 99% of the time, or if I did eat them, it was only after volume eating vegetables or something low calorie. Rarely ate ice cream, fast food (Chipotle is my exception), no soda, no cereal (Cheerios is a low sugar exception), didn’t really drink much milk, no cream and sugar in coffee, no candy, no alcohol, and I would often substitute for lower calorie alternatives to make my CICO math work out easier (sub frozen Jack’s pizza for Target brand and regular maple syrup for light maple syrup). I learned certain fruits are also worse than others. Apples and bananas are some of the most popular fruits but also the highest calorie.

4. Working out was a minor factor. I did 20 minute workouts from BullyJuice on YouTube but that was usually it. Exercising to lose weight is very overrated. The only reason to exercise is heart and mental health plus it will help you maintain muscle and bone mass while you lose weight.

Man, this is great stuff. I lost close to 50 lbs 2 years ago and have kept 40 of it off (switched to weightlifting from cardio so added muscle) doing most of what you did. I did/do a lot more exercise, but that also allows me to eat more. I follow the CICO approach and am able to eat in the 2500 calories range without gaining. So, if I slack for a couple weeks I don't tend to gain much weight. If I want to lose, I need to be in the 1600-1800 range.

My big weight loss (50 lbs in 9 months) was doing tons of cardio and cleaning up my diet. I went into a bulk mode for the last year while I got more into weight lifting. When it was time to cut, I was floored to learn how much walking helps. I get 10,000 steps a day and stay under 2,000 calories and I can lose at a steady pace. Pre-2019 me would never buy that you can eat foods you enjoy (in moderation) and do some weightlifting/walking and lose. I would've told you it took carb-cutting and tons of cardio. I know it's not the same for everyone, but I've been pleased/surprised at what works for me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you push yourself on walks, you can get your heart going as fast as you need it to to get a good sweat going. I messed up something running several months ago (thinking a hip flexor) and I couldn’t run at all so I was forced to walk. I still got my heart revved without hurting my hip/thigh anymore.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I now weigh about the same as I did 10 years ago. I remember that because I went to the UCONN game and I had just switched to wearing 36 inch waist jeans. Still wearing 36 but I throw them in the dryer after I wash them. Certain days I feel like I can wear a 34 other days I don't.
Does it depend on if you’re on your period or not? ;)

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
This is a huge issue unfortunately. If we eat like crap the working out is nice but it won't get you there. If you watch enough youtube there's a guy always advertising some system about what you eat, and he's right. I have no idea what his system is but you have to get rid of most the junk, replace with better choices and even better - figure out through a test or careful observation what your own body likes. Cutting out all the processed carb crap drops weight quick but there are other things too. I'm working on it right now after changing some other bad habits had me packing on pounds. I resist like most of us do... Working on my own BS! fat middle aged guys - we aint 25 anymore!

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is a huge issue unfortunately. If we eat like crap the working out is nice but it won't get you there. If you watch enough youtube there's a guy always advertising some system about what you eat, and he's right. I have no idea what his system is but you have to get rid of most the junk, replace with better choices and even better - figure out through a test or careful observation what your own body likes. Cutting out all the processed carb crap drops weight quick but there are other things too. I'm working on it right now after changing some other bad habits had me packing on pounds. I resist like most of us do... Working on my own BS! fat middle aged guys - we aint 25 anymore!

One quick weight management tip is to not get your wife pregnant. 3rd trimester and the 4th trimester of being in survival mode isn't fantastic for keeping between the guardrails

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One quick weight management tip is to not get your wife pregnant. 3rd trimester and the 4th trimester of being in survival mode isn't fantastic for keeping between the guardrails

I'll add kids to that, as well. We try to eat fairly healthy even with little ones, but there's always a bite here and a bite there left over after the meal. If I'm trying to lose, it's so hard to not just take that extra 2-3 forkfuls off their plate when they finish. Seems like nothing, but it can easily push me over the limit for a given day.

Or, if I'm trying to watch my sweets but don't want to force the rest of the family to follow that plan, it gets real tough. Hard to take the kids out for ice cream and A) not order anything for myself or B) end up taking half a dozen bites of their ice cream. Takes real discipline and I struggle with that.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'll add kids to that, as well. We try to eat fairly healthy even with little ones, but there's always a bite here and a bite there left over after the meal. If I'm trying to lose, it's so hard to not just take that extra 2-3 forkfuls off their plate when they finish. Seems like nothing, but it can easily push me over the limit for a given day.

Or, if I'm trying to watch my sweets but don't want to force the rest of the family to follow that plan, it gets real tough. Hard to take the kids out for ice cream and A) not order anything for myself or B) end up taking half a dozen bites of their ice cream. Takes real discipline and I struggle with that.
That's the Dad garbage disposal problem! Kids make it tough forever even it the 56th trimester. Everyone's schedule ends up off and junk is eaten. The kids can manage (although they learn awful habits) dad just gets fat. Finding that time to be active goes away quick too. Golf and tailgating don't help. Takes time and promotes the fat. Bad news is I'm heavier than I've been, good news is I can really lean on the tree trunk I end up having to guard in basketball every week :p

Reactions: throwittoblythe

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Majority of my breakfasts are eggs and bacon (2 eggs, 1-2 slices of bacon); omelette (cheese, peppers and a slice of deli turkey). The other breakfast meal is fried egg, cheese slice and deli turkey on top. It is kind of like a egg mcmuffin without the muffin.

If you're looking for a decent nutrition and weight lifting podcast, check this one out.

Robert Santana is both a strength coach and a dietician.

I have done some training sessions with him and he's a good guy. He's less favorable to keto for people who are lifting heavy. Nonetheless, he puts out some good stuff on macros within the diet.

• Informative
Reactions: ScottyP

livinthedream

Feb 4, 2008
Elk River Mn
Accidentally started noon in January,(didn't know it was an advertised weight loss program, just googled a weight loss app, it came up.) Lost 20 on that then got tired of a real person emailing me asking how I was doing. My wife wanted to do keto starting a couple weeks ago. Down another 6. Currently at my college weight. 185ish. Both work. Keto is more work cooking wise, but there isn't a person from Boston judging you.

Reactions: madguy30

livinthedream

Feb 4, 2008
Elk River Mn
Accidentally started noon in January,(didn't know it was an advertised weight loss program, just googled a weight loss app, it came up.) Lost 20 on that then got tired of a real person emailing me asking how I was doing. My wife wanted to do keto starting a couple weeks ago. Down another 6. Currently at my college weight. 185ish. Both work. Keto is more work cooking wise, but there isn't a person from Boston judging you.
Noom. Darn autocorrect...

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Noom. Darn autocorrect...

so what goes Into Noom? I’ve looked into that and have been intrigued how it would work with h I got 3 kids that really only eat a diet of pizza, Mac n cheese, PB and jelly, and quesadillas so if I don’t want to make five different meals in one sitting, I’m having one of those for dinner typically.

Help Support Us

Become a patron