Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
Is it too soon for a Nate Stanley joke?

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
The results won't happen over night so don't expect them to. My body normally responds to consistent workout routines around 2-3 weeks later. That means if you are rocking it for the first 2 weeks, you might not feel anything for another week or 2. As others have said, don't get discouraged, just keep on showing up to the gym and sticking with your planned routine. You will have moments where you get that piece of pizza or miss a day at the gym. It's going to happen. Just get back after it and try to make better decisions moving forward. Good luck!

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Well you can take my advice with a grain of salt because I've never had to deal with this issue, thank goodness. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I'd just suggest taking it slow and steady. Otherwise, it could just make things worse and throw everything out of balance.

Work on building your metabolism up first. Lifting weights to build some muscle work well and your body will have something to do with the additional protein and fat. Then work on the diet slowly, either eating smaller portions or cutting out really bad foods. This may be counter intuitive but diet sodas are turrible if you drink/eat any of the fake sugars, replace with half as much of full sugar types. Or better yet cut altogether if you can.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I was 298, almost 300, earlier this year and started changing my diet. I got down to 275ish and then this fall put 10 back on due to a lot of travel and not having the best choices. The good thing though is that tends to come back off quick if you refocus soon enough. I was 286 this morning, which was disappointing.

If you want a message board buddy through the process, sign me up.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
10 years ago I was in great shape at 51. Would go home from work every day and either use the treadmill or bowflex and eat a meal of usually steamed vegetables and some sort of meat. Then I had a double hernia and had to wait 6 weeks for surgery so after work I went to the bar for happy hour instead of working out. Happy hour leads to picking up a bag of death for dinner when you leave.

After the surgery and post recovery it was easier just to keep going to happy hour. Every time I would try to break the pattern something would happen (like the freaking shingles) which gives you an excuse to stop trying to exercise. Over the course of time you know you are gaining weight until one day you realize you have let that go too far.

Last January I bought a new fitbit and it sat in the box until August 22 when I finally decided enough was enough. Yesterday was the first day since then that I haven't gotten at least 10,000 steps. I am usually in the 12-15 thousand steps each day.
Last week I stepped on the scale and was down 12 lbs since Aug. 22. I have made improvements in my diet but still need to work harder on that.
Next I have to get back onto the Bowflex.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
So many replies!

I would reply to all of your comments, but I don't think my customers would like that much.

I really appreciate everything you guys have said. I plan to go to the doctor before since I have other health issues. Also, I'm 5'10". I have a wider frame, but not to compensate an extra 100 lbs. I'm not "big boned".

Some of the worst parts about being fat is noticing you're heavier than Cyclones who we brage about gaining 40 lbs over the offseason (Zach Petersen). And also when fat people call you fat. That sucks, too.

Seriously though, you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the kind words and advise. I cant wait to show you the progess.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I was falling down that same path. I'd always been able to eat healthy and jog myself skinny, but then got cancer at 42 which stopped all forms of exercise. Rationalizing 'how' I got cancer despite eating very healthy and exercising regularly seemed to defy the effort of staying healthy. The cancer was defeated, however, I fell into a state of finding 'eating' being the most enjoyable thing in life. I'd come from a split family of my father being the epitome of health while my mother being the exact opposite. Funny. My mother outlived my father. Which, I'm sure didn't help the situation. After a few years I was feeling healthy enough to do more manual labor (ie working around our small farm) in my copious spare time. Then more health issues and the eating situation worsened. Then last year, I was able to really tackle the work necessary and lost 30 pounds. But, yet again, health setbacks. After emergency surgery last week allot has become very clear. Up to 3 weeks prior to the surgery the pain of eating was too great so I simply stopped. Or, at the very least, reduced my consumption to 10% of what I'd been eating daily. Combine that with the fasting from the past week and I've lost 30 pounds again. I can now eat again, but I'm doing everything I can to gain a NEW perspective. I walk outside and imagine taking my shirt off on a hot work day and basking in the sun. It's more a matter of trying to 'redefine' my life. I have to admit, I feel great. I just hope this stressful desk job doesn't take its toll.
I'll stand with you on this and see if we can help each other through these psychological obstacles in life!!

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
10 years ago I was in great shape at 51. Would go home from work every day and either use the treadmill or bowflex and eat a meal of usually steamed vegetables and some sort of meat. Then I had a double hernia and had to wait 6 weeks for surgery so after work I went to the bar for happy hour instead of working out. Happy hour leads to picking up a bag of death for dinner when you leave.

After the surgery and post recovery it was easier just to keep going to happy hour. Every time I would try to break the pattern something would happen (like the freaking shingles) where you stop trying to exercise. Over the course of time you know you are gaining weight until one day you realize you have let that go too far.

Last January I bought a new fitbit and it sat in the box until August 22 when I finally decided enough was enough. Yesterday was the first day since then that I haven't gotten at least 10,000 steps. I am usually in the 12-15 thousand steps each day.
Last week I stepped on the scale and was down 12 lbs since Aug. 22. I have made improvements in my diet but still need to work harder on that.
Next I have to get back onto the Bowflex.
OMG. It sounds so much like me. Prior to 42 barely a common cold. But 'after'. Wow. The list is VERY long. Almost to the point of sounding like an Irish story. But as just posted, I'm taking a different approach.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I was 298, almost 300, earlier this year and started changing my diet. I got down to 275ish and then this fall put 10 back on due to a lot of travel and not having the best choices. The good thing though is that tends to come back off quick if you refocus soon enough. I was 286 this morning, which was disappointing.

If you want a message board buddy through the process, sign me up.
Join me! Let's do it!

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Congratulations. I'm on a similar journey, but mine is more health, and avoiding things that I know aren't good for me. I would challenge you though, start today. I'd also say, lose the donation aspect of the deal. It will only provide two things. 1. shame if you do not meet your goal 2. an out to justify not reaching the goal.

Blessings to you on your journey. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. I'd encourage you to hold off looking at/judging the results to soon. You are attacking this like Danny Mac did in 94 or when Campbell came in and no one could push the weight he thought they should be able to. Get a foundation of healthy habits built in. And stick with it.

Hey Fellow Fanatics,
Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

Reactions: cyclone4L

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
My personal recommendation would be to increase your vegetable intake as much as you can. It make take you a little longer to eat but you'll get full on less calories and you'll be putting healthy things into your body.
There is a portion of the movie "Forks over Knives" that discuss this phenomenon and how your body can be tricked.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I'll join cyclone4L on the getting healthy. I'm about 40 pounds overweight and on blood pressure medicine.

regarding the healthy eating, any ideas for some easy sides to prepare? I don't want to get in a rut of eating a salad with some lean protein for every meal.

• Winner

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Good luck! No shame admitting you have a problem and need to correct it. That's a step.

What're your plans in order to achieve said status? Obviously some rigorous exercise is needed, but I think nutrition and what you eat is just as important. Also, it may be tough, but look into intermittent fasting as that can speed up the health process.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'll join cyclone4L on the getting healthy. I'm about 40 pounds overweight and on blood pressure medicine.

regarding the healthy eating, any ideas for some easy sides to prepare? I don't want to get in a rut of eating a salad with some lean protein for every meal.

corn, peas, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans. The last three, saute in some oil with garlic, salt & pepper or whatever your flavorings of choice. Red pepper, soy sauce - easy peasy and delish. Can roast in the oven too.

Sweet potatoes are another good one.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone4L and flycy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'd recommend making additional goals besides just the weight loss. As you continue losing fat but presumably start adding some muscle, the number on the scale won't move as fast and that can be discouraging. But if you track other goals too and see them improving - waist size, fit of clothes, strength, distance covered over time or time to cover a distance - that can really motivate you. I'm closing in on 8lbs lost over about 3 months, so the weight loss feels really slow. But I've also seen my belts worn tighter, and I'm buttoning my pants without pulling on the "comfort fit waist" elastic anymore, and my strength in the squat/bench/deadlift has been going up. It's much easier to stay committed when I see those things even when the scale doesn't move. Overall I'm down about 28lbs from my heaviest - about 360lbs (graduated HS at 270 in 99) - from two years ago. The best thing I think I've done is monitor my weight, but focus on other goals. What motivates me is weightlifting and getting stronger.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron