Hell of a season

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Big 12 was very deep, but outside of maybe Houston nobody was elite.
I'd say ISU and Houston separated themselves from the pack clearly and decisively, both during the season and postseason. Both elite in my mind (if top 5 in the country isn't elite, who is?).

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
For as poorly as we played in the first half I just checked Trank.com (BartTorvik) and we still graded out at an 89; still pretty damn good, although it did break a 5-game long streak of our game scores being above 95. Say what you will about Brad Underwood, but the dude can flat out coach when it comes to offense, especially when he has a player like Shannon.

And seriously; we need to stop the G*d damn silly of insisting the Big Ten sucks and is a terrible conference simply because we hate them and want to firebomb Carver-Hawkeye Arena! Give credit where it's due; Illinois is f*cking good. So are we, but they were just a little better tonight.
Uh, no. Big 10 sucks, and is always, always, always overrated and crazy propped up by the media year after year.

Illinois isn’t a team I would expect to beat this squad consistently. They have some length and certainly 1 really good scorer. They are not as good as the media made them out to be. Makes the loss harder to swallow.

• Disagree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
If you look at the average lead/deficit score on Torvick we were -6.4, that was the second worst deficit of the entire season, and was actually worse than the Kansas State and BYU debacle.

The only one worse where we were controlled from start to finish was the Houston game which was -7.1.
Big ******* whoop.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Big ******* whoop.
It's actually a very useful metric to gage the flow of the game.

All of our losses except the A&M game were really similar in that -3 to -7 range. The VCU game is really the only game we pulled out despite a negative score.

Technically you can say we were in the game and being down 2 with 9 minutes proves your point, but the overall picture looks exactly like the @ Houston, @ K-State, @,Oklahoma, @ BYU games. I never thought in any of those games we played well enough to win and if we had it would have been one of those " well we got lucky to escape that" games.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm very glad that our players handle losing with a lot more grace than our fans (on here).

We all knew this outcome was entirely possible. It was still one hell of a season!
give everyone a break, we are just fans venting. It was a would have could have should have type game, there for the taking. We are just discussing what happened as fans, some of the things the team and coaches could have done differently, that is all. Know one is bagging on the team, we love them.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
It's actually a very useful metric to gage the flow of the game.

All of our losses except the A&M game were really similar in that -3 to -7 range. The VCU game is really the only game we pulled out despite a negative score.

Technically you can say we were in the game and being down 2 with 9 minutes proves your point, but the overall picture looks exactly like the @ Houston, @ K-State, @,Oklahoma, @ BYU games. I never thought in any of those games we played well enough to win and if we had it would have been one of those " well we got lucky to escape that" game
I'm not saying the metric is useless.

However, as you point out, had ISU managed to win, they would have advanced, regardless of said metric.

I don't believe anyone is seriously suggesting that ISU outplayed Illinois or that ISU played particularly well. The hole was dug and it was too deep to climb up out of.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
The sports data and metrics boom has provided a lot of useful data but it causes so many people to rely solely on that rather than using their own eyes. Like the guys on here who simply refused to believe we could win another game this year after K State becasue of the metrics. Or no creativity saying we were never in the game last night.

I mean look at Iowa Football as the perfect example. The end of game stats always seem to dictate they got outplayed and should lose yet they'll win 9-10 games a year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's harder to grasp the overall context cuz the last game always stings no matter how it happens.

I was hoping to meet our seed expectation and return to Elite 8 to end the 24-year drought, anything beyond that I would have considered gravy. Disappointed with performance last night, but ISU was going to hit a wall/ceiling it couldn't overcome at some point.

Given some time/perspective this will rank super-high among seasons in my lifetime. The 2nd-place/near-first-place in Big12, B12T of course, top 5 ranking, 2 seed, unbeaten at Hilton (for a change) ... and along with that, almost no "dud" losses ... worst based on opponent level were VTech and K-State, but not a single "geez, how could we lose to THAT team?" -- on several occasions with good teams that has reared its head and become a momentum-buster.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
For 2023-24, it was announced June 22, so I'd expect something close to that.

Also, if iirc, Big 12 is going to 20 games next season, so with 3-Maui, Iowa, and BE-B12, that leaves only 6 "cupcake" slots, instead of 8. Unless there's motivation to "schedule harder" in the wake of the seeding decision from this year's selection. I'm not holding my breath, especially considering how loaded Maui field is.
Hopefully conference will give us Marquette or Creighton or someone that is good. If Maui gives us good SOS, I agree.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Hopefully conference will give us Marquette or Creighton or someone that is good. If Maui gives us good SOS, I agree.
Definitely need an upgrade w/ BE-B12. Low bar to clear, anything is step up from DePaul.

Considering how this season unfolded, I think Marquette is most likely. I don't expect to get a matchup with UConn.

Creighton possible - played in '21, so a repeat after 3 seasons isn't out of question. I'll be disappointed if we get anyone else.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron