Health Problems

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Not trying to create a depressing thread... but for people open to talking about them or need a place to vent about health issues. I just turned 35, and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis last summer. I have seen a couple others post on this board about having it so figured I'd post about it and curious if others here fight the same problems. For the most part I do okay with it... I've been 6 months without alcohol, which kind of sucks (especially during football season) - but I'm getting used to it and attempting to better my diet. I also get to hit my insurance deductible in like 3 months now because my monthly medication is close to 600 dollars per month which is a lot of fun. I recently found a co worker had the same disease, and I would have never guessed..

So my thought was to start this thread if anyone was looking for a place to post. I have considered my self in good health my whole life, then when I hit 33, it seemed like I was at the doctor office every other month for different issues and ultimately leading to this diagnosis. I really had my self convinced that I had cancer at that time and at the time was relieved, but then realizing you get to tackle an illness for the rest of your life is it's own adventure.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Wife had UC but opted for the J Pouch surgery.

Sister controls her UC with diet and maybe a small dose of Prednisolone.

Friend of a friend opted for the bag and says it was a game changer and loves it.

Buddy has Chron’s and he does some type of quarterly fusion treatment.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
Wife had UC but opted for the J Pouch surgery.

Sister controls her UC with diet and maybe a small dose of Prednisolone.

Friend of a friend opted for the bag and says it was a game changer and loves it.

Buddy has Chron’s and he does some type of quarterly fusion treatment.
How does your wife do with the J Pouch? My older brother got diagnosed with UC when he was a teenager and lived with it for 20 years (much more severe than I've experienced so far), and he opted for the 3 part surgery up at Mayo. He still has different new issues afterwards, but his life is 10x better than it was with UC.
Also, your sister has UC or your wifes sister?

You know lots of people in this boat!!

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
How does your wife do with the J Pouch? My older brother got diagnosed with UC when he was a teenager and lived with it for 20 years (much more severe than I've experienced so far), and he opted for the 3 part surgery up at Mayo. He still has different new issues afterwards, but his life is 10x better than it was with UC.
Also, your sister has UC or your wifes sister?

You know lots of people in this boat!!
My wife has no regrets doing the J Pouch.

My sister has UC.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I did a quick googs on this disease. Didn’t know it was so rare. I see lots of commercials for treatments. Hope everything clears up for the OP.

• Friendly
Reactions: salennon07

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
I did a quick googs on this disease. Didn’t know it was so rare. I see lots of commercials for treatments. Hope everything clears up for the OP.
I can't complain too much. I'm in a couple of support groups on reddit and Facebook and lots of people seem to have it way worse than me!

Reactions: Gunnerclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wife had 4’ of small intestine taken out due to a blockage. She was in so much pain they gave her fentanyl, just a half does. She loved it so much she wanted the half but the wouldn’t give it to her. She’s dropped around 25 lbs since the surgery. Thankfully not a dead bowel, as she may have had to have a bag if it had been.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
the sh*t I just had coulda gone straight through a bag

get better OP

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
My mom had UC for as long as I can remember. She was on Prednisone also for as long as I can remember. She really had to watch her diet -- lots and lots of things would cause a flare up. Later in life, the Prednisone made her skin really thin. She could bump her leg into a chair or something seemingly innocuous and end up with a gash out of it that would take eons to heal up. She lived into her early 80s and something else got her. Hope you get it under control. There may be better treatments these days than she had available and she had a boatload of other health issues that prevented her from certain more aggressive treatments.

• Friendly
Reactions: salennon07