Hawkeye fans are downright scared of Campbell

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Weather? Lol. It was a great day for playing football, even if sitting and watching was a little cold.

ok, realize I was talking about both offenses here. Outside of the Texas game, ISU hadn't scored under 30 in a game. TCU hadn't scored under 26 all season. So please forgive me for suggesting that the weather might have been the cause of both teams being held to more than twenty points below their averages.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
[
Fair. But I will say, there can be boring low scoring games and exciting ones, with no-bias involved.

lol of course there's bias involved. The enjoyment factor of any game depends largely on whether you're rooting for one of the teams and the stakes involved.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

bagdropper

Oct 13, 2017
Welp, being a Hawk fan, some musings...

1) Yes, there is some teeth gnashing going on with ISU's year so far. You will have those that believe that ISU being good hurts Iowa in recruiting (my opinion, in-state recruits, certainly possible, but not the horrific thing some posters make it out to be). You will have those that despise ISU no matter what, and wish the program death and nothing else. There are B12 haters of course too. And deny it if you will, but there are others (like me) who root for all state of Iowa teams when they're not playing Iowa.

2) About the New Year's bowl thingie...I think any reasonable person can make the argument that what Iowa does have from a program history perspective is playing in "traditional NYD bowls" (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton). That is a major leap for ISU to take, and this year right now represents arguably their best opportunity ever to do that at least as far as I can remember. I hope you guys get there, really do - you got a really good team this year, but there is major work to do yet.

3) Internet message boards really are all the same. Take what lugheads say with a grain of salt. The blue bloods will ALWAYS dismiss those that crash the party, and hated rivals will always dismiss you no matter what. That's the way it is, and the way it will always be until a program that crashes the party goes off on a decades long streak that turned the blue bloods into blue bloods in the first place.

ISU...I dunno. I'm a "prove it to me" kinda person when it comes to stuff like that. To me, that is why you get a lot of Hawk fans being dismissive of the ISU program in general...cause let's face it, compare the two programs' history. Iowa hasn't been any historical juggernaut nationally, but when compared to ISU, there is a major difference there.

Me personally, I hope ISU wins the B12 cause me, being a "chaos in CFB is good" guy...I loathe the usual suspects such as Michigan, OhSU, PSU, Nebraska, and of course OU and UT.

I see "nothing wrong" with ISU disrupting the B12 hierarchy in a fashion the country could ever possibly expect going in. It'll piss a lot of fan bases off.

I cruise over a lot of message boards, and right now, most of the big shots are for the most part treating your success so far with a loathing and dismissiveness us Iowa fans are well accustomed to whenever we have peak years. No biggie, just don't knock yourselves out trying to change an unchangeable mind, and most of all don't take it personally.

All this being said, go kick the crap out of the rest of your season please...cause I love a good train wreck, and seeing those fan bases' heads spin would be a whole lot of fun. Good luck against WV and OkSU coming up.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
[

lol of course there's bias involved. The enjoyment factor of any game depends largely on whether you're rooting for one of the teams and the stakes involved.
I'm saying, if You or I are watching a PAC12 game and the game is 10-7 but there are 4 turnovers on each side, and controversy and it comes down to a last second field goal. That is an exciting football game. Is it pretty? No. But exciting nonetheless if you have no dog in the fight. That was the point of the "no bias" phrase.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
I think any close game is exciting no matter the score.

I think the biggest difference is at least both teams moved the ball down the field, just not much scoring. When we say the big 10 games are boring its because most of the time its 3 and out after 3 and out.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Welp, being a Hawk fan, some musings...

1) Yes, there is some teeth gnashing going on with ISU's year so far. You will have those that believe that ISU being good hurts Iowa in recruiting (my opinion, in-state recruits, certainly possible, but not the horrific thing some posters make it out to be). You will have those that despise ISU no matter what, and wish the program death and nothing else. There are B12 haters of course too. And deny it if you will, but there are others (like me) who root for all state of Iowa teams when they're not playing Iowa.

2) About the New Year's bowl thingie...I think any reasonable person can make the argument that what Iowa does have from a program history perspective is playing in "traditional NYD bowls" (Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Cotton). That is a major leap for ISU to take, and this year right now represents arguably their best opportunity ever to do that at least as far as I can remember. I hope you guys get there, really do - you got a really good team this year, but there is major work to do yet.

3) Internet message boards really are all the same. Take what lugheads say with a grain of salt. The blue bloods will ALWAYS dismiss those that crash the party, and hated rivals will always dismiss you no matter what. That's the way it is, and the way it will always be until a program that crashes the party goes off on a decades long streak that turned the blue bloods into blue bloods in the first place.

ISU...I dunno. I'm a "prove it to me" kinda person when it comes to stuff like that. To me, that is why you get a lot of Hawk fans being dismissive of the ISU program in general...cause let's face it, compare the two programs' history. Iowa hasn't been any historical juggernaut nationally, but when compared to ISU, there is a major difference there.

Me personally, I hope ISU wins the B12 cause me, being a "chaos in CFB is good" guy...I loathe the usual suspects such as Michigan, OhSU, PSU, Nebraska, and of course OU and UT.

I see "nothing wrong" with ISU disrupting the B12 hierarchy in a fashion the country could ever possibly expect going in. It'll piss a lot of fan bases off.

I cruise over a lot of message boards, and right now, most of the big shots are for the most part treating your success so far with a loathing and dismissiveness us Iowa fans are well accustomed to whenever we have peak years. No biggie, just don't knock yourselves out trying to change an unchangeable mind, and most of all don't take it personally.

All this being said, go kick the crap out of the rest of your season please...cause I love a good train wreck, and seeing those fan bases' heads spin would be a whole lot of fun. Good luck against WV and OkSU coming up.

This forum has no place for logic.

Reactions: cyfan21

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I actually agree with this. I have no clue how OU didn't score more than they did

OU fumbled twice and missed a FG in the first half of that game or the score would have been way worse. They put up almost 500 yards on OSU and completely dominated every facet of the game. Only a complete moron would think that was a fluke win for OU.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
OU fumbled twice and missed a FG in the first half of that game or the score would have been way worse. They put up almost 500 yards on OSU and completely dominated every facet of the game. Only a complete moron would think that was a fluke win for OU.
It’s a glaring red flag that Ohio State couldn’t figure out a Mike Stoops defense.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

Level-headed condescension appreciated.

I've cruised a lot of Big 12 message boards recently too and what I overwhelmingly notice is people stating that, while they obviously prefer to beat ISU , they actually root for us otherwise because we have good fans that are not insufferable, and our teams put out fun product. I've visited West Virginia, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Kansas sites within the past week...they largely support our success. Where are you seeing otherwise besides a few fringe fans that will complain about anything that isn't "their school"?

As you attest to, the reactions seen from other fan boards are overwhelmingly negative about Iowa. For example - during the Illinois-ISU recuiting battle for Talen Horton Tucker, the general sentiment was "congrats on getting a great player, and oh also f**k Iowa". With that said, I disagree with your thought that the negative reaction towards Iowa is due to "success". The Big Ten's members don't seem to like you at all because IMO your fans are living on fumes from the past and have become unjustifiably dickish and your major programs put out boring products.

What's your thought on that?

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Scared? Maybe, but more likely worried. All I do know is my Hawk friends talk to me more about the weather over football these days. And I refuse to bring it up, or raz them about our success, because I hate the way they do it when the roles are reversed.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Scared? Maybe, but more likely worried. All I do know is my Hawk friends talk to me more about the weather over football these days. And I refuse to bring it up, or raze them about our success, because I hate the way they do it when the roles are reversed.

That's my strategy as well. The silence is golden :)

Iowa fans are definitely worried though. The state of Iowa doesn't produce a ton of talent and they have had the pick of the litter for the last 30 years and that is changing folks. The days of Iowa getting all of the under the radar in state kids are fading fast. CMC and his staff are also going after the same Midwest out of state kids as well and Iowa State is having success pulling kids out of B1G territory.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: RedDog and cyfamily

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
As you attest to, the reactions seen from other fan boards are overwhelmingly negative about Iowa. For example - during the Illinois-ISU recuiting battle for Talen Horton Tucker, the general sentiment was "congrats on getting a great player, and oh also f**k Iowa". With that said, I disagree with your thought that the negative reaction towards Iowa is due to "success". The Big Ten's members don't seem to like you at all because IMO your fans are living on fumes from the past and have become unjustifiably dickish and your major programs put out boring products.

What's your thought on that?

The disdain for Iowa from Illini fans is 99% attributed to the Bruce Pearl/Deon Thomas Chevy Blazer incident from back in the late 80's/early 90's.

The thing about fellow Big 12 schools rooting for you is ISU has had such limited success in football that you havent developed any rivals.

That is like Iowa fans being happy for Indiana if they were to have the same type of start as ISU has this year.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rob05

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
The disdain for Iowa from Illini fans is 99% attributed to the Bruce Pearl/Deon Thomas Chevy Blazer incident from back in the late 80's/early 90's.

The thing about fellow Big 12 schools rooting for you is ISU has had such limited success in football that you havent developed any rivals.

That is like Iowa fans being happy for Indiana if they were to have the same type of start as ISU has this year.
The Bullies of the Big 10? Shhhhh...we don't argue with that team east of Ames (It's easier to just smile and nod and then watch them self-destruct in bowl games). #Deep Thoughts by Non-Hawkeye Big 10 Homers

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Does anyone else wonder why so many Hawk fans seem to have to Plague Cyclone boards? Apparently Iowa State is more interesting than anything going on over there.

Reactions: irish

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron