Hawk site shut-down

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
After a lot of thought and consideration, we've revoked the Fanatic platform lease for HawkFanatic.com. As of now, the site has been closed.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
What is the reasoning? I actually thought it was a good idea. Don't give up on what could be a good business move for you because some here threw a fit about it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The question is....

Is there a demand? There are multiple free Hawk boards already. We really don't have an outlet for ISU discussion other than here unless we want to pay for it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The question is....

Is there a demand? There are multiple free Hawk boards already. We really don't have an outlet for ISU discussion other than here unless we want to pay for it.

I think this success of this site lies in the layout, wide variety of discussion topics, and how well it is moderated. I haven't gone to any of the hawk sites so I don't know if they offer that as well. Remember, when this site started there WERE other free Cyclone options, there is a reason this is the only one remaining...

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
Jeremy, not to be a pain, but I would still like to see/know how much ur dumping into CF vs how much you are taking in (maybe like the season ticket counter for ISU). Being that I have a job now, I can/could contribute more/more often - and that would be a good reminder.....unless u think it would be to much like bugging non-donors?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Hawk fans have atleast 4 boards right now that they can post on for free. While Iowa state didn't have anything like that for free after rivals closed down the free section.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Two points here...

1 - The decision wasn't because of any outside forces, it was simply the right decision for CF, it's members, moderators and me. We're not Hawk fans and even though Hawks were going to run the site, it just really needs to be Hawks involved in every level of it in my opinion and I don't want to have any part of the site going forward because I'm not just a money-grubbing guy - obviously. It could have been beneficial monetarily but money isn't everything.

2- I have something setup to track donations vs targets but I have it disabled because I just hate pestering people about it. Not everybody can or wants to donate and I'm not one to purposely nag people. If people want to donate, that would be terrific, but I don't want them to feel like they have to to be on equal ground.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
John was very complimentary on the site layout and the betting feature...hmmmm.

But seriously...even though I dogged Jeremy about selling out to the Hawks, you have to do what is best for your own good will. If the potential revenue gained is indeed worth expanding the "fanatic franchise"...we can't really stand in the way of that.

I still question, besides an annual annuity to license the layout, what revenue there is to be gained however.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually I thought it was like an alternate universe.

I was totally impressed with alll the work that people put into it. I could see some synergy coming into play. I liked the idea. Maybe a poll question?

Speaking of features, will we have an area links to facebook at this site like we do for blogs?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Two points here...

1 - The decision wasn't because of any outside forces, it was simply the right decision for CF, it's members, moderators and me. We're not Hawk fans and even though Hawks were going to run the site, it just really needs to be Hawks involved in every level of it in my opinion and I don't want to have any part of the site going forward because I'm not just a money-grubbing guy - obviously. It could have been beneficial monetarily but money isn't everything.

2- I have something setup to track donations vs targets but I have it disabled because I just hate pestering people about it. Not everybody can or wants to donate and I'm not one to purposely nag people. If people want to donate, that would be terrific, but I don't want them to feel like they have to to be on equal ground.

Again, I don't want to pry into your personal matters, but how is CF doing? Is it profitable? If not, or if it barely profitable, let people know. I would be happy to donate a lot more since I am such an addict here, but if it is not even a drop in the bucket I wont worry. If donating actually helps the cause, then I am in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron