Happy Joe's overseas

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Happy Joes in Muscatine was excellent when I interned there in 2012 (just realized it has been 10 years). Not sure if it is still there but at the time they were one of the few locations that still made their dough fresh in store.
I made my share of dough at the Ames location back in the day. There wasn't a job at that store that I didn't do from time to time. Between fresh dough made every day and no artificial fillers in their meats and cheeses there was a reason Happy Joe's cost a little more but it was reflected in the quality.

I was sad to see it go, but given the repeated flooding at that location and Hank's age, it didn't make sense for him to take out another loan to get it open again. If anyone wants to say "hi" to Hank he usually can be found tailgating at the fire engine on game days. Given the move of the RV lots I'm not sure where exactly that will be this coming year though.

I love taco pizza but never order it because I am always disappointed when I order it anywhere else. I should probably make my own since I know a few of the tricks that made the HJ taco unique.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
You've just given me a craving for pizza, ice cream, and a road trip to the QC. I remember hearing the hype about Whitey's from a professor, then I went and realized there was no hype...only truth.
Not to veer too far off topic (Well it is CF, so that's expected, I suppose) but when I'm first back from Florida in the spring I HAVE to do Rudy's for Cheese and Onion enchilada and the smothered Chicken enchilada. Usually the West Kimberly location, but I actually think the one on 4th Street in that old converted movie theater is the best.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Happy Joe's in WDM was my first job in high school. Terrible job, and the owner went bankrupt leading to them closing, but I will vouch for their taco pizza over anyone elses.

It's been a few years since I've lived in Eastern IA but they still had a pretty good amount on locations there. Their chorizo taco pizza on pan crust is a must try. So damn good.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
That's the most random thing I've ever seen.
Maybe a Maderite in Syria would top it.I
I think they've been there for a long time. Since the 70s. I remember hearing/reading about it back then. I can't remember the link as to how it came to be that they opened in Egypt.

The one in Tipton lost it's franchise. Went there quite a bit when it was there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think they've been there for a long time. Since the 70s. I remember hearing/reading about it back then. I can't remember the link as to how it came to be that they opened in Egypt.

The one in Tipton lost it's franchise. Went there quite a bit when it was there.
Agreed. I remember learning about at least one Egyptian store when I worked at HJ's in the '80s. I remember hearing about the menu having some Middle Eastern tweaks like some goat meat options.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There's good Italian in Iowa, but moving to the East Coast really opened my eyes to what Italian food can be. Haven't had Happy Joe's in forever though. Hard to compare at this point.

Reactions: dahliaclone

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Happy Joes in Urbandale was my first H.S. Job circa 2002. Best chain pizza in Iowa hands down. I wish they would put one in Newton. Looked into franchising, not too bad in regards to initial principal investment.
Didn't Newton's Northern Lights last like 6 months? Its not the same business model but still

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I made my share of dough at the Ames location back in the day. There wasn't a job at that store that I didn't do from time to time. Between fresh dough made every day and no artificial fillers in their meats and cheeses there was a reason Happy Joe's cost a little more but it was reflected in the quality.

I was sad to see it go, but given the repeated flooding at that location and Hank's age, it didn't make sense for him to take out another loan to get it open again. If anyone wants to say "hi" to Hank he usually can be found tailgating at the fire engine on game days. Given the move of the RV lots I'm not sure where exactly that will be this coming year though.

I love taco pizza but never order it because I am always disappointed when I order it anywhere else. I should probably make my own since I know a few of the tricks that made the HJ taco unique.
You need to DM me some deets. I make a taco pizza at home that I'm happy with, but anything I can do to make it closer to HJs would be lovely.

For sauce, I'll do about 50/50 mix of pizza sauce and refried beans from the can- mix them together so it's one homogenous looking mess, before spreading on the dough. If I'm ever near a Happy Joe's I'll see if they have any of their sauce in the store and pick up a few bottles of it.

I use simple breakfast sausage for the meat. Jimmy Dean's mild usually.

And I'll add some shredded cheddar to mozzarella for the topping.

Then once it comes out of the oven, I top it with shredded lettuce, freshly diced tomatoes, and crunched up tortilla chips. I started out using Doritos a long time ago, but their flavor is too distinctive. Now I use a generic Doritos-style tortilla chip from my local grocery and it fits better in the overall pizza flavor.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I don't eat Canadian Bacon anywhere besides Happy Joe's. Love the cubes.
I grew up in the QCs and worked at HJs in Ames. There is something special about that cubed CB.
So many nights we d work late, drinking beer and playing pinball after hours. We'd come up with exotic pizzas after getting tired of the traditional ones. My favorite was BLT, with potato chips and a tiny bit of taco sauce

Reactions: IASTATE07

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
You need to DM me some deets. I make a taco pizza at home that I'm happy with, but anything I can do to make it closer to HJs would be lovely.

For sauce, I'll do about 50/50 mix of pizza sauce and refried beans from the can- mix them together so it's one homogenous looking mess, before spreading on the dough. If I'm ever near a Happy Joe's I'll see if they have any of their sauce in the store and pick up a few bottles of it.

I use simple breakfast sausage for the meat. Jimmy Dean's mild usually.

And I'll add some shredded cheddar to mozzarella for the topping.

Then once it comes out of the oven, I top it with shredded lettuce, freshly diced tomatoes, and crunched up tortilla chips. I started out using Doritos a long time ago, but their flavor is too distinctive. Now I use a generic Doritos-style tortilla chip from my local grocery and it fits better in the overall pizza flavor.
Do you use Taco style flavored Doritos? That's what you need.
I always preferred it with the sour cream on it under the lettuce etc. But not the black olives of Taco Supreme.
Happy Joes Taco was part sausage part beef.