Haliburton a 1st Rounder in latest CBS Mock

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
There is a chance that he can completely change his shot, but there is no way that a shot like that makes it into the NBA.
Did you see Hornacek shoot in college? The NBA completely rebuilt his shooting motion.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I just assumed he valued things like ball movement, sharing the ball, and playing defense since those are things that have proven to be successful over and over and over again.

I think there's times when he could have still gotten to the rim instead of kicking it out but that's better than forcing it into 4 defenders and ending up in a pile while the ball goes back the other way for an easy bucket.
He was too thin to be bullying is way down the lane anyways. I think he will improve greatly and add much needed weight this year. I could see him going this year, but more likely next year.

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
He was too thin to be bullying is way down the lane anyways. I think he will improve greatly and add much needed weight this year. I could see him going this year, but more likely next year.
He doesn't look like he's added much weight so far...

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Did you see Hornacek shoot in college? The NBA completely rebuilt his shooting motion.

Hornacek's shot was much better looking that TH's. Not saying he can't do it, but there is a lot that would need to change in his shot. Also, kid is so skinny. Did you see his arms compared to everyone else in that game today? He is going to be a stud in college, and maybe after a couple more years he will be an NBA guy. Guess I just don't see how he can compete physically in the NBA at this point in time.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I love Haliburton, he's a great player & great team guy.
It's ironic as he was most likely to be a red shirt coming into last season.

I'm really sick of these stupid NBA draft projections...because as we've seen then mean NOTHING.

Not a F'n thing.

THT wasn't a 1st round pick. He damn near wasn't a 2nd round pick...and if the Lakers weren't about to be screwed by budget issues he may not have been drafted at all.

Where was Shyok projected?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Hornacek's shot was much better looking that TH's. Not saying he can't do it, but there is a lot that would need to change in his shot. Also, kid is so skinny. Did you see his arms compared to everyone else in that game today? He is going to be a stud in college, and maybe after a couple more years he will be an NBA guy. Guess I just don't see how he can compete physically in the NBA at this point in time.
The best player in the world entered the NBA skinnier than Haliburton. Kevin Durant.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Actually, JH credited his wife Stacy with helping him change his shot.
"When he first entered the NBA, Hornacek had what was essentially a two-handed shot. He used the thumb of the left hand as a sort of guide, which put a strange side spin on the ball, and his shooting was always erratic. He resisted his father's attempts to correct his shot, but, as was the case throughout his career, help came in an unlikeliest way. His coaches didn't fix his shot; his wife did.

Following his rookie season, Hornacek made daily trips to the gym to practice his shooting, often with Stacy rebounding. He tried everything to correct his shot, including taping his left thumb to his hand. One day Stacy grew weary of chasing his missed shots and stepped back to observe. Why don't you point at the basket after you release the ball, she suggested. You can imagine what Hornacek thought. Great, now the wife's telling me how to shoot. But he tried it, and it worked. Hornacek says Stacy had the biggest influence on his shot. His shooting accuracy improved from 45.4 percent in his rookie season to 50.6 a year later. He has been a 50 percent shooter ever since." (https://www.deseretnews.com/article/170007865/Jeff-Hornacek-Gone-but-never-forgotten.html)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Actually, JH credited his wife Stacy with helping him change his shot.
"When he first entered the NBA, Hornacek had what was essentially a two-handed shot. He used the thumb of the left hand as a sort of guide, which put a strange side spin on the ball, and his shooting was always erratic. He resisted his father's attempts to correct his shot, but, as was the case throughout his career, help came in an unlikeliest way. His coaches didn't fix his shot; his wife did.

Following his rookie season, Hornacek made daily trips to the gym to practice his shooting, often with Stacy rebounding. He tried everything to correct his shot, including taping his left thumb to his hand. One day Stacy grew weary of chasing his missed shots and stepped back to observe. Why don't you point at the basket after you release the ball, she suggested. You can imagine what Hornacek thought. Great, now the wife's telling me how to shoot. But he tried it, and it worked. Hornacek says Stacy had the biggest influence on his shot. His shooting accuracy improved from 45.4 percent in his rookie season to 50.6 a year later. He has been a 50 percent shooter ever since." (https://www.deseretnews.com/article/170007865/Jeff-Hornacek-Gone-but-never-forgotten.html)
Well, he was a good shooter at ISU and became a great one in the NBA so I'm happy that Stacy stepped in. But I had one encounter with his then future wife at ISU and it wasn't a pleasant one - she was complaining about balls and strikes in an intramural softball tournament.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Did you see Reggie Miller's frame? Pretty much the same as TH's. "Too skinny" is what many posted on this site even going so far as to say he may have to red shirt his first year to gain weight. As far as his shot, Lonzo Ball's shot is a lot more unorthodox than TH's and he improved his 3-pt % from 30 to 33 in one year.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Most of them, but "easy to block" is a silly thing to say when he had zero blocked.
His shot is slow with a low release point. That's not debatable. One might consider that easy to block, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Most of them, but "easy to block" is a silly thing to say when he had zero blocked.

Ok we'll say easy to contest with a chance to block. There's a reason Hali took very few contested shots.