Guess Who Made The List Of Candidates At MSU

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I know our fanbase is whiny about Campbell at the moment (though that's thankfully calmed down after the Oky St. victory) but sometimes "buying low" on a guy can be a good strategy.

Creighton bought low on McDermott. Worked out for them.

You could argue Auburn bought low on Chizik. They won a national title.

I'm not predicting this for Michigan State. But what Campbell has done at Iowa State is objectively impressive even if the past 2.33 seasons have been frustrating at times. ADs are still going to look at him.
If you call buying low for Auburn to take Chizik, you have to develop a new term for MSU taking Fitzgerald.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Yeah, Michigan State really has that pristine culture that will lure Matt Campbell away :D
Also, been to a game there…and the atmosphere isn’t bad (though the fact they were playing Wisconsin probably helped), but our atmosphere is for certain better. I think an unbiased person would say Iowa State is a better job (except for the money).

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
They get my yearly check but I actually don’t donate directly to the athletic program. I think a lot of donations have been drying up based on the amount of calls I’ve (and many others) have gotten over the last week.
Who are your top 3? We are waiting for you to put it out there since you are the CF sparty guy. Can preface it as your own personal top 3 or you can speak for the fan base.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Who are your top 3? We are waiting for you to put it out there since you are the CF sparty guy. Can preface it as your own personal top 3 or you can speak for the fan base.
Heartline, Elko, Sherrone Moore in that order

Elko is the only one of those that’s realistic. If we didn’t grab him I would try possibly one of the left over pac teams. Realistically the picking is kind of thin due to realignment.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Matt Campbell is well aware that the B1G is where coaches go to get paid....and then get fired a few years later.

The B1G's wealth comes with very short leashes. It's win today or be unemployed tomorrow. The growth and development of young men is at the bottom of their list of priorities, if it's there at all.

Matt is not going to MSU.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
You have to factor in CMC's family situation here. Say what you will about him as a coach, but his wife and kids' happines does appear to mean more to him than most coaches.

I'd think it might be more realistic to make a move once his older kids graduate and maybe the young boy(s) might want to play big time HS football beyond Gilbert etc. Don't remember off the top of my head their ages etc.

Reactions: t-noah

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You have to factor in CMC's family situation here. Say what you will about him as a coach, but his wife and kids' happines does appear to mean more to him than most coaches.

I'd think it might be more realistic to make a move once his older kids graduate and maybe the young boy(s) might want to play big time HS football beyond Gilbert etc. Don't remember off the top of my head their ages etc.

He does seem to have a wife that’s happy here. I would guess his daughters are in high school by now.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Tougher to win a conference title, easier to make the playoffs.

Not sure I agree the ISU job is easier. Is ISU a top 5 job in the new Big 12? Obviously MSU isn't close to a top 5 job in the Big 10, but they'll likely be able to count on 3 or 4 bids for the playoffs. If the Big 12 turns into a 1-2 bid league, finishing with the 3rd best record does them no good.
Well “MSU isn’t close to a top 5 job in the Big 10” does them no good if they finish 5/6 in a 3 bid league. Exact same thing and honestly tougher as there are 6 teams automatically better than Sparty in the new Big 10

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well “MSU isn’t close to a top 5 job in the Big 10” does them no good if they finish 5/6 in a 3 bid league. Exact same thing and honestly tougher as their are 6 teams automatically better than Sparty in the new Big 10
Oregon, Washington, USC, Michigan, tOSU are the top 5 (not listed in order), and then it's easy to make arguments for several others (MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa).

EDIT: Forgot Penn State - they are in the Top 6. Then it's a fairly decent drop off to #7. I'd probably put Wisconsin in 7th and then MSU and Iowa would be a tossup.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Maybe Friendly can answer this, but has the AD purged everyone from the Nasser days? I guess really all admin? If there's anyone there in administration that was also in administration during the long list of scandals, I wouldn't go anywhere near the place. From the outside, there are few places that seem as rotten as east lansing.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
They should go after Leipold or Kleiman.
We probably only see the lists with Campbell given it's our school, but why don't we see Kleiman's name on these lists? He legit came in and has done great things at KSU.

Is there an assumption "in the coaching circles" that Matt would listen to anyone (thus they put him on lists) and someone like Kleiman won't? OR is it knowing our fans will click so it's easy clickbait? LOL

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We probably only see the lists with Campbell given it's our school, but why don't we see Kleiman's name on these lists? He legit came in and has done great things at KSU.

Is there an assumption "in the coaching circles" that Matt would listen to anyone (thus they put him on lists) and someone like Kleiman won't? OR is it knowing our fans will click so it's easy clickbait? LOL
Kleiman's name as well as the Kansas coach were on lists for the job, Kleiman has already stated publicly he is not interested in the MSU job.

Reactions: CapnCy