Guess Who Made The List Of Candidates At MSU

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I agree with everything you wrote, except the part about the divisions. Doing away with them gets MSU away from playing Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State on a yearly basis. The new adds to the conference will make fewer easy wins, but it should also allow MSU, Rutgers, Maryland to play teams in the old Western Division more and have a better chance to win games.

What do you think MSU's record is against the West division?

0-3 in 2016
2-1 in 2017
1-2 in 2018
1-2 in 2019
1-1 in 2020 (one cancelled)
2-1 in 2021
2-1 in 2022

9-11 since 2016, but sure they'll be amazing playing the West more often. You can do the same with the rest of the division, none of them have great records against the West division.

The only team with a legitimate gripe in that division has been Penn State. Michigan flat out stunk before 2021 and had just as much trouble beating the West teams as they did the East. OSU beats everyone (except Michigan the last two years)

People forget that in the East while you had to play OSU every year that you also got to play Rutgers every year.

• Disagree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I could see him taking the Michigan State job given the regression we’ve experienced the last 3 years (including this one). Would Michigan State really want him though? I can’t imagine fans would be happy with that hire.

Also LOL at Pat Fitzgerald on that list. With Tucker’s sexual harassment lawsuit and recent sexual assaults, yeah let’s bring in a guy who oversaw a program with a decade long history of sexual abuse/hazing
Nothing against CMC, but no one outside of the trash that is the freep is talking about sparty wanting or being interested in CMC. If this was 3 years ago sure, but not now. The fact that Fitzgerald is on the list shows you how questionable the “journalism” is here.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Matt isn't getting the job, but I think he'd do better there than in Ames. Sustainably easier to recruit there and he can continue to have boring ass offenses and no one will bat an eye.

That MSU job just got A LOT tougher though with the 4 Pac schools joining...

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Much like their conference mates, MSU has an image problem with their recent scandals, so a more straight-laced coach like Campbell would make sense from an image cleanup standpoint. I don't think the fanbase would be happy about it given his recent record, but stranger things have happened (see 5-19 Chizik to Auburn).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know our fanbase is whiny about Campbell at the moment (though that's thankfully calmed down after the Oky St. victory) but sometimes "buying low" on a guy can be a good strategy.

Creighton bought low on McDermott. Worked out for them.

You could argue Auburn bought low on Chizik. They won a national title.

I'm not predicting this for Michigan State. But what Campbell has done at Iowa State is objectively impressive even if the past 2.33 seasons have been frustrating at times. ADs are still going to look at him.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
They should go after the Oregon State and Washington State coaches
This is interesting. I like both of those guys based on their results and they’re interviews. If Sparty actually hired CMC (doubtful) I would take either of those guys in Ames.

Of that list I think Narduzzi is a strong candidate and so is Leipold. Then I think Fitzgerald is a much more plausible candidate than people are saying above. CMC has to rank lower than those three. His time to move was after the Fiesta Bowl or after the disappointing 2021 season when he still had a better perception. A reason why Sparty won’t hire him is that he’s 1-6 vs Iowa. Iowa epitomizes B1G football, they’re just a little better at it than most of the other 8 or 9 boring, offensively-challenged programs.

• Disagree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nothing against CMC, but no one outside of the trash that is the freep is talking about sparty wanting or being interested in CMC. If this was 3 years ago sure, but not now. The fact that Fitzgerald is on the list shows you how questionable the “journalism” is here.

What are the feelings on the assistant?

I'd guess Tressel would not be a top choice. Bucky fans aren't very happy with him in early returns.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Obviously he’s not nearly as high on lists as he was two years ago (when I legit think he could get all but 1-2 jobs). But I think his reputation is probably still fine among ADs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron