Gremmel

bustamoveisu

Sep 8, 2012
Arrested in Cedar Falls last night for Disorderly. I would think with the way our program has started this year, our wrestlers don't need to be out of town late in the evening of a weeknight causing problems. I realize he's redshirting, but c'mon!

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Arrested in Cedar Falls last night for Disorderly. I would think with the way our program has started this year, our wrestlers don't need to be out of town late in the evening of a weeknight causing problems. I realize he's redshirting, but c'mon!

Why is a freshman at ISU hanging out in Cedar Falls on a Wednesday night?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Why is a freshman at ISU hanging out in Cedar Falls on a Wednesday night?

Please. He's been going to the bars in Cedar Falls since he was a sophomore in high school.

I probably shouldn't even be making this post, and it can be taken down if need be, and I'd totally understand, but I don't think there's any need to hold my tongue anymore. This is a kid who has been in trouble before. The coaches knew that when they signed him. I'm assuming he's on a "one-strike" policy, and if that's the case, he's in some trouble.

I've talked to at least a couple people through PM's about the concerns I had with Gremmel. It may have even seemed like I had a vendetta against the kid, but that really isn't the case. I truly wanted him to get to ISU, get straightened out, and become a successful part of this team. He certainly has all the talent to do so, but he hasn't shown that he can handle the other stuff that being on the ISU wrestling team includes. To me, he really hasn't earned the privilege of being on the wrestling team here at Iowa State. He had behavior problems in high school, and he doesn't seem to have changed much since he's got here.

And if this seems like an overreaction to a misdemeanor, it's because this isn't a first time deal. He's done things like this before. He should have known damn well that he was on a short leash to begin with.

And like stated before, what kind of message does this send to your teammates that, while they're training hard, getting ready for the Harold Nichols, you're in Cedar Falls on a damn school night causing trouble. It's just ridiculous, IMHO.

End rant.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Please. He's been going to the bars in Cedar Falls since he was a sophomore in high school.

I probably shouldn't even be making this post, and it can be taken down if need be, and I'd totally understand, but I don't think there's any need to hold my tongue anymore. This is a kid who has been in trouble before. The coaches knew that when they signed him. I'm assuming he's on a "one-strike" policy, and if that's the case, he's in some trouble.

I've talked to at least a couple people through PM's about the concerns I had with Gremmel. It may have even seemed like I had a vendetta against the kid, but that really isn't the case. I truly wanted him to get to ISU, get straightened out, and become a successful part of this team. He certainly has all the talent to do so, but he hasn't shown that he can handle the other stuff that being on the ISU wrestling team includes. To me, he really hasn't earned the privilege of being on the wrestling team here at Iowa State. He had behavior problems in high school, and he doesn't seem to have changed much since he's got here.

And if this seems like an overreaction to a misdemeanor, it's because this isn't a first time deal. He's done things like this before. He should have known damn well that he was on a short leash to begin with.

And like stated before, what kind of message does this send to your teammates that, while they're training hard, getting ready for the Harold Nichols, you're in Cedar Falls on a damn school night causing trouble. It's just ridiculous, IMHO.

End rant.

I was also under the impression that he was a bit of a problem child. I have no issue with KJ taking a chance. I am also not concerned about how he will handle Gremmel. It is too bad this kid might be on thin ice but I trust KJ will handle him well.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
This is just too bad. I don't blame the coaches for taking a chance based on talent. Nor do I doubt that if something needs to be done, they will do it. The one place where I've been impressed with KJ is discipline and character.

Reactions: NEICyFan and buf87

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Can anyone explain why he hasn't wrestled in any open tournaments so far?