Great Plains

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
WHich is why it is so beloved by many around here...midwesterner's, specifically Iowans, are more into quantity over quality when it comes to food. I grew up in Iowa and it has taken all my adult life to shake this paradigm.

GP is not terrible to me it's just a big globby mess. Not a whole lot of flavor just gobs of starch and cheese. I'd say, traditionally, the pizza Vesuvius is selling is more what pizza should look and taste like.

Here's a cookie for you. I know it's big on quantity, but hopefully it has the "quality" you've grown accustomed to. :skeptical:

chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Reactions: Tarbox

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I love Great Plains too, but Ge-Jo's in Clear Lake has the best pizza in Iowa. I wish I could drive up there right now...
Really? I'm from the area and their pizza isn't talked about all that much. Most people just complain about how expensive it is for the amount of food you get.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
WHich is why it is so beloved by many around here...midwesterner's, specifically Iowans, are more into quantity over quality when it comes to food. I grew up in Iowa and it has taken all my adult life to shake this paradigm.

GP is not terrible to me it's just a big globby mess. Not a whole lot of flavor just gobs of starch and cheese. I'd say, traditionally, the pizza Vesuvius is selling is more what pizza should look and taste like.

Maybe the "quality" that I'm looking for is lots of cheese? Look, I've had Vesuvius, and I know that is a lot closer to what pizza is in Naples...I've been there. I'd just rather have GP. To me, the toppings taste better, the sauce tastes better, the cheese tastes better. And yeah, I did get full at Vesuvius, so I'm not buying that I only like GP more because I stuff my self like the Midwestern pig that I supposedly am. Pizza has evolved and now there are plenty of options. That's good for all of us (or bad I guess).

Now, if you are talking fancy restaurants that try to make two forkfulls of food into a piece of art, then I agree, Midwesterners are more into quantity. Sorry, but I think that's ridiculous. I'm not going to pay to go out to dinner and walk out still hungry.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyMac

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

Different strokes for different folks. But - you don't have to bigshot Iowans to make your point. It makes you look like a ******.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Here's a cookie for you. I know it's big on quantity, but hopefully it has the "quality" you've grown accustomed to. :skeptical:

chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Whoa big guy! That's a lotta food right there. I think the quantity he's looking for is more like this:

recipe-14673.jpg

And of course that "meal" costs $24.95.

Reactions: DaddyMac

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron