Great ISU/OSU Picture...

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I am looking for a great shot from the game or after the game that I could blow up to about 24 x 36...

Thanks!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Admittedly, this isn't a whole lot of help, but hoping others can fill in details. There's a photographer that posts here (or used to, haven't seen much lately) that has an AWESOME picture of Woody carrying the winning TD. From field level, JB is behind him with his hand up in the air. You can buy a copy from his website, although the larger ones are more expensive, and since it's a fellow CF'er, you probably shouldn't buy a small one and 'blow it up'.

Had my in-laws get me one for X-mas (Husker fans, which makes it better).

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Admittedly, this isn't a whole lot of help, but hoping others can fill in details. There's a photographer that posts here (or used to, haven't seen much lately) that has an AWESOME picture of Woody carrying the winning TD. From field level, JB is behind him with his hand up in the air. You can buy a copy from his website, although the larger ones are more expensive, and since it's a fellow CF'er, you probably shouldn't buy a small one and 'blow it up'.

Wesley Winterink Photography | Iowa State Football

More specifically:

http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p489490297

Reactions: 00clone

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

Wasn't that Wesley Winterink (sp?)

Edit: IcSyU's got it covered

Last edited:
Reactions: 00clone

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I really want the photo of woody crossing the endzone but I really don't want to shell up $163 for a something that costs $30 at walgreens. Hey Wesley, is it possible to pay you some sort of royalty so I can print it at Walgreens?

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I really want the photo of woody crossing the endzone but I really don't want to shell up $163 for a something that costs $30 at walgreens. Hey Wesley, is it possible to pay you some sort of royalty so I can print it at Walgreens?

Guess you should have taken the photo then. Its how the dude makes a living.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

I'm pretty sure I saw a list of top 10 things never to say to a photographer that included this comment yesterday. I hope you were working off that list and don't actually think that this is a legit proposal

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Guess you should have taken the photo then. Its how the dude makes a living.

I'm pretty sure I saw a list of top 10 things never to say to a photographer that included this comment yesterday. I hope you were working off that list and don't actually think that this is a legit proposal

Yep, this. "Walgreens" wasn't at the game. You are not paying for the ink on paper, you are paying for the person's time to be there, the person's skills to know where to be with what equipment and how to use it well, and, possibly a premium for a great image of a popular subject.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com

It would cost $30 if you took that picture. Dilemma is, you didn't! How about the cost for the equipment to take such a picture or the time to edit and get all of those details just right. As a photographer (or used to be) I was amazed at how many people thought prints shouldn't cost more than they could get a WalMart or Walgreens.

What's your occupation? How about asking a plumber to fix the broken pipe at cost of the pipe and no more? Or ask the lawn care guy that you just want to pay him for the gas to run the mower? Lot of other scenarios I can paint here, get the picture?

(rant for the day done)

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona

I'm really sorry, Mr. Restaurant Owner, I thought it would be ok to bring in McDonald's to eat if I bought a glass of wine from you. I don't need a really nice steak because I can't tell the difference between that and a hamburger anyways.

Believe me, I'm a photographer and I know the pain. People think ALL photographers are hobbyists.

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
It would cost $30 if you took that picture. Dilemma is, you didn't! How about the cost for the equipment to take such a picture or the time to edit and get all of those details just right. As a photographer (or used to be) I was amazed at how many people thought prints shouldn't cost more than they could get a WalMart or Walgreens.

What's your occupation? How about asking a plumber to fix the broken pipe at cost of the pipe and no more? Or ask the lawn care guy that you just want to pay him for the gas to run the mower? Lot of other scenarios I can paint here, get the picture?

(rant for the day done)

I can get the forecast wrong all by myself, but people still hire weathermen. That's one you could have used.

I keed, I keed.

Even if we're just talking about the cost of printing it, I'm guessing the print I paid for will last longer than a WalMart printed pic.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Hey all, read the entire post! I said I would pay a royalty! I didn't say for free. I'm pretty sure with his site it is ran by a third party company who takes a commission of his sales from that site. Trust me I know plenty of photographers that rather get a good royalty than get less because of these image hosting sites.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

(rant for the day done)

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I imagine that's number 1,2, and 3 :biglaugh:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I imagine that's number 1,2, and 3 :biglaugh:
Actually no it isn't. A coworker of mine takes pictures for the Associated Press. He said you can charge a royalty for someone else to print it for internal use (meaning you can't resell them) as long as he isn't officially taking pictures for the AP. I don't think Wesley was working for the AP that night so he can do it if he wants to.

Trust me, I know more about this kind of stuff than most of you jumping to conclusions assuming you know.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
was hoping to find something cheaper as well, but wouldnt ask the guy to give me his picture for a lower price as I know that is how he makes his living