Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
This isn't a shot at Twins but Iowa wouldn't be in most games without Garza this year. He's their best player and MVP and it's not even close.

Yep, Andy Katz said after the game that Garza is firmly in the discussion for national player of the year.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Going to be a lot of close games though. Iowa could have very easily lost to both Rutgers and Michigan these last two games. Don't be surprised if they start losing a few of these close games. It is going to be a battle these last 12 games.

Oh I know. I thought this was a 10 win team at the beginning of the year and was super down on Fran coaching and recruiting. Right now things like very good with a freshman 4* hurt and down 2 starters. It is crazy to me.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
Yep, Andy Katz said after the game that Garza is firmly in the discussion for national player of the year.

Best player in the state and its not even close.

The discussion should probably turn to who the second best player would be. Wieskamp, Green and Haliburton all deserve some consideration.

Wieskamp has really elevated his game since conference play started. He is currently averaging 18.6 PPG and 6.8 RPG per game in league play and his shooting percentages are up across the board in conference games.

Haliburton's numbers have went down across the board during league play.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Why do I feel like this has the same amount of credibility as the "Iowa watching Brock Purdy tape in bowl leadup" rumor you made up?

What reason could a kid who has been committed to Iowa since he was like 8, who is averaging 30+ minutes and 15 PPG on a Top 20 team, have to transfer?

You're not the sharpest

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm going to let you in on a little something-- Twins has run out of things to criticize Iowa basketball about. Now most would admit defeat. Most would say admit that Iowa, and it's players, are having a good year. Fran is having a good year. Garza is having a good year. Hell, even Connor seems to have settled into a decent role. You would especially think that the type of year Iowa State, whom he pumps up in equal parts to his putting down of Iowa, would accelerate his need to admit he was wrong. But alas.

So at this point, all he has is "Garza stinks late in games". That's the only thing he can try to use to keep his sinking ship afloat.

Did someone say Garza wasn't having a good year? That would be incredibly stupid

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
Best player in the state and its not even close.

The discussion should probably turn to who the second best player would be. Wieskamp, Green and Haliburton all deserve some consideration.

Wieskamp has really elevated his game since conference play started. He is currently averaging 18.6 PPG and 6.8 RPG per game in league play and his shooting percentages are up across the board in conference games.

Haliburton's numbers have went down across the board during league play.

I wouldn't say it's not close. If we had shooters, Haliburton would get somewhere around 9 assists a game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Which he should be. There's no reason why right now he wouldn't be considered.

I do think Markus Howard from Marquette would win it if the voting was today.
28.4 ppg at a 42% clip. He's also shooting 42% from the 3. He's had nine 30 point games this year, as well as a 40 point game, a 42 point game, and a 51 point game.

If those type of numbers keep happening, it won't be even close. His high scoring games haven't been against terrible opponents either.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oh I know. I thought this was a 10 win team at the beginning of the year and was super down on Fran coaching and recruiting. Right now things like very good with a freshman 4* hurt and down 2 starters. It is crazy to me.
A 10 win team? That's happened at Iowa once in the last 45 years and you thought it was going to be that bad?
I get not expecting much but that's a significant drop from winning 23 last year.

HawkJRP

Dec 27, 2019
A 10 win team? That's happened at Iowa once in the last 45 years and you thought it was going to be that bad?
I get not expecting much but that's a significant drop from winning 23 last year.

Did you watch the Iowa/DePaul game?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Did you watch the Iowa/DePaul game?
Yes. He said at the beginning of the year so I figured that meant before the season.

Weird losses happen. Hell, I told you I was unaware of the coach at Evansville is a POS but I knew they beat Kentucky.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Hawk fans didn't make it up. If you have an issue with it, talk to Randy Peterson.

Well first off I never heard Randy say it. I'm not sure why an Iowa fan would listen to him.

Secondly Randy is a moron so not sure why anyone would believe it if he did say it

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yes. He said at the beginning of the year so I figured that meant before the season.

Weird losses happen. Hell, I told you I was unaware of the coach at Evansville is a POS but I knew they beat Kentucky.

Evansville is in good hands with Lickliter on the bench.

Reactions: HawkJRP