Got home and my AC isn't working

CloneFanInKC

Jul 26, 2021
I pretty much have my fan run 24/7 all year round. Keeps the air moving and temp more consistent in different rooms. Lots of high ceilings and vaulted ceiling so also keep a ceiling fan running on low in main living room. You don't notice the fan, it's like 13' high above the floor. Mostly finished basement and it keeps the air moving down there to so it never feels damp. Bought a pretty nice fan, not a big box store one, it's been running almost constantly for 20 years. That's a good motor in that unit!
I’ve thought about how to identify the proper fan run time; I have no idea.

I just know I hate hearing my AC run almost constantly during the summer.

I currently run the fan 30min an hour.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’ve thought about how to identify the proper fan run time; I have no idea.

I just know I hate hearing my AC run almost constantly during the summer.

I currently run the fan 30min an hour.
The newer ACs run more often but use less power.

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
AC went out last week and had the capacitor replaced the next day. System is 17 years old from when we built. Looking at replacement now as small cracks were found in the heat exchanger when they checked out the entire system. Cost to repair all is $2-3k. New system around $12k (more efficient) but reduced $1,200 with federal tax credits (our kids and grandkids to eventually pay). Wifey (no pics) doesn't like old things that break down so we will replace. (Not sure how I'm around yet.) The service tech and also another HVAC rep said to run the fan 24/7. Who would have thunk.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Service tech just left my house.

Woke up Monday to a frozen refrigerant line and compressor running nonstop. Got things thawed out and running again, but wanted to have it checked out fearing a leak somewhere (or worse).

Decided to go the cheap route for now, recharged the system with 3 lbs of coolant (old version = expensive) and replaced a valve in the outdoor unit that may have been leaking by. No other obvious signs of a coil leak or other source of problem. ~$700 including tune up.

System is 17yo and hoping to limp by. We keep it set at 76 on the summer but get pretty uneven airflow between levels (ranch home). I've messed with damper positions as well as keeping the blower running to try to help.

Adulting is fun

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Apparently everyone could afford their AC bill so far and hasn’t had to barter like I see in the movies all the time.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Service tech just left my house.

Woke up Monday to a frozen refrigerant line and compressor running nonstop. Got things thawed out and running again, but wanted to have it checked out fearing a leak somewhere (or worse).

Decided to go the cheap route for now, recharged the system with 3 lbs of coolant (old version = expensive) and replaced a valve in the outdoor unit that may have been leaking by. No other obvious signs of a coil leak or other source of problem. ~$700 including tune up.

System is 17yo and hoping to limp by. We keep it set at 76 on the summer but get pretty uneven airflow between levels (ranch home). I've messed with damper positions as well as keeping the blower running to try to help.

Adulting is fun
hopefully that works out for you, but your best bet probably would’ve been to just get a whole new rather than spend $700 and hope the leak is fixed.

• Disagree
Reactions: NWICY

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
AC went out last week and had the capacitor replaced the next day. System is 17 years old from when we built. Looking at replacement now as small cracks were found in the heat exchanger when they checked out the entire system. Cost to repair all is $2-3k. New system around $12k (more efficient) but reduced $1,200 with federal tax credits (our kids and grandkids to eventually pay). Wifey (no pics) doesn't like old things that break down so we will replace. (Not sure how I'm around yet.) The service tech and also another HVAC rep said to run the fan 24/7. Who would have thunk.
Yep better bet to get a new one. Those heat exchangers are super expensive to fix. 12 grand for a new system? Yikes.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
This guy I know said he just paid 13k for a new furnace and AC.. Just an average ranch home. I hope that's not right. My Lenox is 20 years old and it won't be long. Edit-just remembered he had ducts cleaned out too at the same time so that added to the cost.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This guy I know said he just paid 13k for a new furnace and AC.. Just an average ranch home. I hope that's not right. My Lenox is 20 years old and it won't be long.
That seems like a lot but I don’t know much about it, I think our furnace and ac 4 years ago was about $6k.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
This guy I know said he just paid 13k for a new furnace and AC.. Just an average ranch home. I hope that's not right. My Lenox is 20 years old and it won't be long.
$4500 2 weeks ago for just an a/c. 1200 square foot ranch, 2.5 ton unit. It was also a pretty simple install / replacement so I would say $13k for heat and a/c probably isn't out of line.