Got Cardinal paint suggestions?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Actual paint manufacturer and color code would be helpful. Looking for "real" iSu Cardinal, not ketchup. Thanks.

Oh, and ISU Gold paint, too, if you've got suggestions.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you get the printing codes from DSMCy's linky you can convert to different paint mixes from some major paint companies at this site. I did a test and for Behr it gave named mixes that might be close but did not give actual mixing instructions to match. You could run it for different companies or select "ALL" and see what comes closest. There was a Gliddon that was pretty close for cardinal, you could see the RGB breakdown was similar.

http://www.easyrgb.com/en/match.php#inputFORM

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Did a set of bag boards in these colors and this is what they look like. The gold color is called "goldfinch".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 43

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Thanks, for the help. If I hadn't had to run back to the Ace Hardware store, and if I hadn't been impatient, (and if I wasn't a dummy), I would have waited a bit for responses to this question.

But, no, I picked out colors at Ace, Clark-Kensington Satin Enamel:

Gold - Sense of Wonder VR041B
Cardinal - Pomegranate Seeds VR035A

ISU Paint Colors.jpg

Pretty close? Cardinal isn't just right, but it's going on the basement stairway walls, so it might darken up. I've already slapped on test patches.

For fun, my youngest son (29 now), the artist in the family, has been offered a commission (a beer or two) to come up with something original for the stairway . . . including, maybe, a heroic figure or some scene of his making from his comic book art days. Told him I have the final say, though. He's thinking about it. . . .

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Did a set of bag boards in these colors and this is what they look like. The gold color is called "goldfinch".

I like your Cardinal better than my Cardinal. I might take mine back to Ace and dump in a bit of black.

Neat bag board.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I like your Cardinal better than my Cardinal. I might take mine back to Ace and dump in a bit of black.

Neat bag board.

You'll actually want to dump in a bit of cyan and yellow, assuming paint mixing works off CMYK. Black will just "shade" it, not change the nature of the red itself.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks. Wish I would have paid the $35 and bought the 6" hole saw vs. trying to cut free hand. Chalk that up to experience.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Last summer, Sherwin Williams gave free samples (or cheap, I don't recall) of Cardinal and Gold. It inspired us to paint the inside of our garage. Looks great, even from the street!

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I did Sherwin Williams Crabby Apple and skipped the yellow. It looks really sharp as an accent wall in the Cyclone man cave.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I just used 'Magnificent Red' from Lowes on a board set.

Thats all I know and it matches pretty well to the I-State Decal I have.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
If you get the printing codes from DSMCy's linky you can convert to different paint mixes from some major paint companies at this site. I did a test and for Behr it gave named mixes that might be close but did not give actual mixing instructions to match. You could run it for different companies or select "ALL" and see what comes closest. There was a Gliddon that was pretty close for cardinal, you could see the RGB breakdown was similar.

http://www.easyrgb.com/en/match.php#inputFORM

That link looks helpful! I once helped a friend paint his tailgate vehicle by setting up 3 simultaneous equations to take the RGB values from the 'low cost' implement paint (John Deere green, Harvester Red, ?? blue) samples he had scanned by his company graphic design guy to get the new ISU colors based on the athletic dept RGB values.

Here are the athletic specific ones:
https://apps-trademark.sws.iastate.edu/forms/athletics/data/708/isu_athletic_identity_usage.pdf

It was the best use of our engineering degrees/graphing calculators I can think of.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron