Goodbye, Sbarro

tjh1984

Feb 11, 2009
New Orleans
Give me your top choices to cross reference with mine.

Thin crust: Piece in Wicker Park
Deep dish: Pequod's in lincoln park and morton grove
authentic woodfired: Sono in lincoln park or the new gigantic Eatily place downtown

what he said about Piece and Pequods! Amazing stuff!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I'm 22 years old and I still don't think I pronounce Sbarro right.. Is the B silent? Or perhaps the S is silent? Nope the SB are both silent so it sounds like "Are-O".

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If there is a Sbarro's that is not:

1. In a mall food court

or

2. In an airport

I've never seen it.

They like to place them at the Tollway Oasises (Oasis's?) (Oases?!) (meh, whatever) in the Chicago area. Does that count as a mall food court?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
They like to place them at the Tollway Oasises (Oasis's?) (Oases?!) (meh, whatever) in the Chicago area. Does that count as a mall food court?
Yeah probably since they are also in a lot of airports. Are there any standalone locations anywhere that are not in some food court type setting?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Same concept.

You're not there for their pizza, but you're going to eat something and they have food right there.

So you don't EVER choose to go there, you just ARE there - and so are they.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
Give me your top choices to cross reference with mine.

Thin crust: Piece in Wicker Park
Deep dish: Pequod's in lincoln park and morton grove
authentic woodfired: Sono in lincoln park or the new gigantic Eatily place downtown

Pequod's may be my favorite pizza in Chicago. Unique versus the stuffed pizza you see everywhere else. One point of contention is that Pequod's is not Chicago deep dish. It is what people outside of Chicago consider deep dish (i.e. - what Old Chicago used to serve). Chicago deep dish is the stuffed pizza served by Pizzeria Uno, Lou Malnati's, or Giordano's.

That said for my favorite stuffed pizza, I would have to say Chicago's.
Pete's Pizza has an excellent thick crust pizza.
I love a small place called Angelo's because they make a delicious chicken alfredo thin crust. Just make sure to never reheat it in a microwave if you don't want to see how much oil is in it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Im obsessed enough I'll go anywhere, especially near an L stop

I'm honestly not a big pizza person, I don't have like a holy grail pizza place. My favorite places to eat is the original Al's over on taylor street for a combo beef sandwich, Tastee dog over in Oak Park(had an aunt who lived by it) , or Manny's deli. My tastes are pretty simple haha.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm honestly not a big pizza person, I don't have like a holy grail pizza place. My favorite places to eat is the original Al's over on taylor street for a combo beef sandwich, Tastee dog over in Oak Park(had an aunt who lived by it) , or Manny's deli. My tastes are pretty simple haha.

If any of you guys are out near Buffalo Grove, you really should stop in at Nino's and grab a slice. It's hard to say they are the best pizza, but they are my favorite. Of course they do the stand by pizzas, Deep Dish, Stuffed, thin crust, but they do this thick crust that is by far and away my favorite pizza. When I say thick crust, it's not like "OMG, that is thick, it's just a little beefier than a thin crust. Close to NY style crust. But it's really amazing. I've never tasted a crust like this. It just doesn't get soggy and chewy like a lot of thicker crusts do. They are calling it the Sicilian style. It really is a great slice of pizza. If you do stop in, tell them the Heiser's sent you.

We found the place when we lived on the border of Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove. We've since moved, but still routinely make the 30 minute drive to pick it up and bring it home. They even gave us a pizza hot box their delivery guys use, since the trip is so long.

Again, not the typical "Chicago style" pizza, but a damn good slice. On Buffalo Grove Rd., just South of Dundee Rd.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If any of you guys are out near Buffalo Grove, you really should stop in at Nino's and grab a slice. It's hard to say they are the best pizza, but they are my favorite. Of course they do the stand by pizzas, Deep Dish, Stuffed, thin crust, but they do this thick crust that is by far and away my favorite pizza. When I say thick crust, it's not like "OMG, that is thick, it's just a little beefier than a thin crust. Close to NY style crust. But it's really amazing. I've never tasted a crust like this. It just doesn't get soggy and chewy like a lot of thicker crusts do. They are calling it the Sicilian style. It really is a great slice of pizza. If you do stop in, tell them the Heiser's sent you.

We found the place when we lived on the border of Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove. We've since moved, but still routinely make the 30 minute drive to pick it up and bring it home. They even gave us a pizza hot box their delivery guys use, since the trip is so long.

Again, not the typical "Chicago style" pizza, but a damn good slice. On Buffalo Grove Rd., just South of Dundee Rd.

Damn, I had a customer I worked onsite at for six months in Lincolnshire. Of course that was back in 2008, but I would have liked to check out this place. Maybe if my daughter has another softball tournament in Libertyville we can check out this place on the way.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Pizza is a science of gluten, stretching, dilation, proofing, spiderwebs, vortices, toppings, moisture, coals, fire, wood, stones, clay, smoke, centrifugal force, belt ovens, very old yeast, delivery boxes, cooling effects......

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Pequod's may be my favorite pizza in Chicago. Unique versus the stuffed pizza you see everywhere else. One point of contention is that Pequod's is not Chicago deep dish. It is what people outside of Chicago consider deep dish (i.e. - what Old Chicago used to serve). Chicago deep dish is the stuffed pizza served by Pizzeria Uno, Lou Malnati's, or Giordano's.

That said for my favorite stuffed pizza, I would have to say Chicago's.
Pete's Pizza has an excellent thick crust pizza.
I love a small place called Angelo's because they make a delicious chicken alfredo thin crust. Just make sure to never reheat it in a microwave if you don't want to see how much oil is in it.

That is not pizza, it's casserole.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Sbarro mastered the art of taking the ingredients of cheese, tomato sauce/paste, spices and various toppings and turning it into something that has absolutely no discernible flavor.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It sure seems like a lot of businesses are shutting the doors lately. American TV, Quiznos, Sbarro, maybe Dahls. Just in the last weeks I thought about all the empty buildings/stores downtown. Then I was driving on 86th and was reminded when there use to be a K's. That building has been empty for so long.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It sure seems like a lot of businesses are shutting the doors lately. American TV, Quiznos, Sbarro, maybe Dahls. Just in the last weeks I thought about all the empty buildings/stores downtown. Then I was driving on 86th and was reminded when there use to be a K's. That building has been empty for so long.

Prepping for the wage hike