Good Calipari Article

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I have absolutely no problem with Calipari taking advantage of the one and done rule but what bothers me is the suspicion that clouds every program he coaches. Although he is never directly connected to any violations, most people seem to think he is running a dirty program. I tend to agree but it is important to remember most coaches of successful teams have committed violations at some point.
John Calipari, The First Honest Pimp

cyclone22

Sep 14, 2011
Ames, IA
Yea I do not understand the hate that people have towards Calipari. He is taking a flawed system and using it to his full advantage. The NCAA and NBA are the ones to blame here. Calipari is as smart as they come.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
good article, pretty dead on analysis of the state of NCAA Basketball. Problem is this only applies to about 20 players per year, there are hundreds of players, so do we want to wath Cali's one and doners cut down the nets year in and year out or do we want to watch team's that are built over time that care about the school's they represent? Fred understands talent and one and done, its a shift in the sport- something we must embrace if we want to be good. His model appears to be get the best available. It will be good for some nice years and probably some tough years if/when we miss on a star or two, this is the new era of NCAA basketball..

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
good article, pretty dead on analysis of the state of NCAA Basketball. Problem is this only applies to about 20 players per year, there are hundreds of players, so do we want to wath Cali's one and doners cut down the nets year in and year out or do we want to watch team's that are built over time that care about the school's they represent? Fred understands talent and one and done, its a shift in the sport- something we must embrace if we want to be good. His model appears to be get the best available. It will be good for some nice years and probably some tough years if/when we miss on a star or two, this is the new era of NCAA basketball..

Its a lot harder to win the championship than just getting one year players every year. Cal has been in the game for years, and this is his first title. I don't think Cal's method will be cutting down nets every year. Besides there are a handful of teams that usually get the best talent anyway. That doesn't really change if you make them stay longer.

getcloned

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2008

I have lived in Lexington for 8 years now and one thing that I can say is that Cal's NBA guys are back for games all the time. These guys love UK.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I have absolutely no problem with Calipari taking advantage of the one and done rule but what bothers me is the suspicion that clouds every program he coaches. Although he is never directly connected to any violations, most people seem to think he is running a dirty program. I tend to agree but it is important to remember most coaches of successful teams have committed violations at some point.
John Calipari, The First Honest Pimp

Nobody has any problem with the one and dones. More power to them, guys like Davis should probably never play college ball. The NCAA allows it to happen. The problem is, oddly, a lot of them end up playing for the same guy. Why is that? One and done guys can go anywhere. Duke, NC, UCLA...many many schools you could go to.

The NCAA is the issue, and their lack of oversight, or lack of caring about what really goes on is the problem. The NCAA doesn't want to punish the big programs. They could stop the cheating it if they wanted to, they just don't really want to. And Cal isn't the only one cheating.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
He's this generation's John Wooden.

If you mean that he doesn't give a crap that the rest of the members of the NCAA have to play within the rules while he cheats at every opportunity to assemble his all star teams, then I agree.

Culled from 45 interviews with people connected to the program, including former players and coaches, the piece portrayed wealthy booster Sam Gilbert as a "one-man clearinghouse" for players. It detailed how members of seven of Wooden's 10 championship teams were lavished with "cars, stereos, clothes, airline tickets and scalpers' prices for season tickets," all against NCAA rules.
The Times' reporters were Alan Greenberg, since deceased, and Mike Littwin, now a general columnist for the Denver Post.
"No one other than Sam Gilbert ever disputed a word we wrote," Littwin says. "No one said they were misquoted. The only (fan) complaint we got was, 'Why don't you do the same thing to USC football?' "

Starkey: John Wooden and an inconvenient truth - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron