Gonzaga to join the Big 12?

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
My maps lied to me good catch. 4 hours is much different than 7.

But I do think Spokane–Coeur d'Alene combined area draws a ton of people to Gonzaga basketball. It's as big or a bigger area than DSM and has no major sports except Gonzaga basketball and WSU. One is about to get relegated to a G5 level
It spills over to Northwest Montana where I live. I am 4 hours from Spokane and Gonzaga gets a lot of coverage in the local paper.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Obviously moving to the Big 12 would help Gonzaga.... but would it help the Big 12 financially?
I think "would it help the Big 12 financially" is a short sighted perspective of the situation. I don't think BY is looking at Gonzaga as a way to get more money immediately from media partners. I think it is more of building more stability in the conference and capitalizing on the success of bball while trying to do to bball what the SEC and B1G have done with fball.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
im still confused to this narrative that gonzaga would instantly suck in the big 12
Maybe not suck, but they've always been the media darling because of their near perfect record while only playing a few ranked teams early in the year. The grind of a power 5 conference would be something they are not used to, and they very well might suck. They also might be a top 25 to just outside top 25 team.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
the last thing i want is another school that is going to complain about the basketball tournaments being in KC and demand it to be moved somewhere like Vegas.
I hope I'm wrong, but as the Big12 becomes coast to coast- probably have to expect rotating sites for FB and Hoops Tournaments.

I am not a gambler, so Vegas doesn't have much appeal. But wouldn't mind Hoops Tournament rotation of KC and Denver/Phoenix. FB rotation of Dallas & Phoenix.

But reality is Vegas is probably willing to pay Big12 Conference big $.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Does having 18 members create a better conference schedule rotation? Seems like there must be other factors at work here.

Isn't it primarily driven by Yormark's vision that Basketball is a trending sport, and he believes we are not receiving the full revenue we can from it by packaging it with Football?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Isn't it primarily driven by Yormark's vision that Basketball is a trending sport, and he believes we are not receiving the full revenue we can from it by packaging it with Football?
Yeah, I remember hearing that too, though I'm struggling to imagine a significant revenue boost or creating opportunities alternative packaging just by adding Gonzaga. Maybe #18 is a big name too?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yeah, I remember hearing that too, though I'm struggling to imagine a significant revenue boost or creating opportunities alternative packaging just by adding Gonzaga. Maybe #18 is a big name too?

Personally, if your going the basketball route, I think adding two east coast, former big east teams would be the way to go. Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, etc. would be my targets.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I could be wrong but I'm skeptical that University Presidents would meet Thanksgiving Week to discuss basketball expansion.

I don't know, with a lot of the basketball tournaments happening this weekend, would get a lot of media attention.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Personally, if your going the basketball route, I think adding two east coast, former big east teams would be the way to go. Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, etc. would be my targets.
They're not signing up for increased travel when the money is a wash in a league with all of their traditional rivals.

Gonzaga is in a totally different spot.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Wonder if those teams would be pretty reluctant to go anywhere, they have a pretty good thing going with lots of close conference games and the Catholic stuff. Wonder how much more a Big 12 basketball only contract would bring in.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
They would fit better in the new pac/mw

Got a rival Wazzu
Decent bball brands in unlv, sdsu.
And a couple of overall decent brands in Boise and OSU. Plus you save a ton on travel.
Add in a Tulane and Memphis, and Saint Mary’s(bball only) and you got yourself a pretty decent product.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron