Golf Trip - Is this worth it?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
4 days, 3 nights.
Room, taxes, resort fees, transportation to courses once there and golf included.
4 courses:
- River Course at Blackwolf Run
- Erin Hills
- Irish Course
- Whistling Straits

$1,700.00

That's A LOT of money, but 4 really nice courses and at least one premier course.

I'm having a hard time with this one.

laytonz

Feb 16, 2009
Ames
4 days, 3 nights.
Room, taxes, resort fees, transportation to courses once there and golf included.
4 courses:
- Erin Hills
- Irish Course
- Whistling Straits

$1,700.00

That's A LOT of money, but 4 really nice courses and at least one premier course.

I would say yes, as long as you are staying at a top notch resort.

You have a future U.S. Open golf course. A PGA Championship course and two other high quality golf courses. Its a lot of money, but one week with two courses like that is a once in a lifetime experience especially if you are going with family/close friends.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
I would not want to play whistling straits, so I would say no. I am just not a fan of courses like that.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would not want to play whistling straits, so I would say no. I am just not a fan of courses like that.

You must hate golf, right?

Whistling Straits is beautiful. I wouldn't care if I didn't play the best round of my life, I'd still LOVE to play it.

$1700 seems a bit steep though IMO. Sounds about what you would pay at book value. So I'm not sure you're really getting a "deal" or not. It would be a great golf experience though. That's for sure!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My cousin Is a 2 handicap golfer at Des Moines Golf and Country Club and played Whistling Straights last year. Absolutely killed him, while he was glad he saw the course but won't be returning. I know he had a blast playing the Pinehurst courses in South Carolina. Same level resorts with US Open course that isn't as hard. Don't know the price but hope this helps

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
You must hate golf, right?

Whistling Straits is beautiful. I wouldn't care if I didn't play the best round of my life, I'd still LOVE to play it.

$1700 seems a bit steep though IMO. Sounds about what you would pay at book value. So I'm not sure you're really getting a "deal" or not. It would be a great golf experience though. That's for sure!

Just not a fan of it.

I would say my top 3 courses I would like to play are Augusta, Sawgrass, Then not sure maybe Pebble Beach

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My cousin Is a 2 handicap golfer at Des Moines Golf and Country Club and played Whistling Straights last year. Absolutely killed him, while he was glad he saw the course but won't be returning. I know he had a blast playing the Pinehurst courses in North Carolina. Same level resorts with US Open course that isn't as hard. Don't know the price but hope this helps

FIFY :smile:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
4 days, 3 nights.
4 courses:
- Erin Hills
- Irish Course
- Whistling Straits

$1,700.00

thats a good deal I would go for it.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
My friend played in the us am a couple years ago when it was at Erin hills and said it was stupid hard an wouldn't pay to play it.

I played the Koehler courses and they are awesome, but expensive

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So if a course hurts your ego, it isn't worth playing? Well, I'm sure Augusta and Pebble Beach will hurt your ego too. So maybe nobody should play those either, huh?

Cyclonus

Nov 22, 2009
Milwaukee
I have played the straits and the river... fantastic golf experience. US Open is coming to Erin Hills in 2017 and the PGA and Ryder Cup to Straits in the next decade... Blackwolf just hosted the women's us open (course played at over 6,800 yrds)... it is Premier golf... if you are staying at kohler's american club it is a slam dunk. If you can swing it, do it... and I am a 15 handicap but still enjoyed the courses. You can stop and take a picture where dustin johnson grounded his club in a bunker on sunday at the PGA

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
So if a course hurts your ego, it isn't worth playing? Well, I'm sure Augusta and Pebble Beach will hurt your ego too. So maybe nobody should play those either, huh?

All courses hurt my ego.

I am sure I would enjoy those courses I would just choose different ones but it would be a memorable trip.