"Get off my lawn!" music thread

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What " Taylor Swift thing" are you referring to?

What bands chord progressions don't sound similar? Eddie Vedder is obsessed with F and C in alot of his songs. Hendrix used alot of 7#9 chords to get his sound. BB King has the "BB Box" named after him that produced his distinct blues sound.

She's a pop artist and there's only so many chords that genre uses. What do you want her to do, start using 7th and 9ths, then she starts sounding more bluesy and that's not her gig.

I agree to some extent, it's just harder to find good music now and weed out all the bad stuff.

If you truly want to hear bad music checkout the band ALEXSUCKS, I have no idea how some of these guys get airplay.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Geezer here.

I don't think music today is better or worse. I do believe it's different, and some people do not tolerate different, be it food, music, or cultures.

For example, this is new stuff, and it is very good, IMHO. Not classic, but it hasn't been around a zillion years. Yet.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
Good music is still out there, it's just not played on the radio IMO. Dig around spotify and you can find hidden gems that don't get as much publicity as they should.

NPR AAA stations like the Bridge in KC and the Current in the Twin Cities are still playing great new music over the air. Sirius also plays as much new stuff as old stuff, but of course that isn't free.

Also, besides the Floyd and Zeppelin, that stuff in the OP wasn't necessarily being played over the air on traditional radio where I grew up in Central Iowa.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If you want some company...on your lawn, watch Rick Beato. He does some really cool stuff, but also loves to rag on current music. Given he's a long time music producer, he at least has some credentials.

Yeah…. I included a clip from Rick in my original post. I trust his judgement pretty well, but he’s obviously old too, so there’s that.

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Geezer here.

I don't think music today is better or worse. I do believe it's different, and some people do not tolerate different, be it food, music, or cultures.

For example, this is new stuff, and it is very good, IMHO. Not classic, but it hasn't been around a zillion years. Yet.

I like the first one alot! Meat Puppets debut album came out in 1982

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I've never wanted to become the old "get off my lawn" guy... but when it comes to music, I feel like I'm quickly becoming that unfortunately.

I know there is some great music still being put out there today by some artists, but this whole Taylor Swift thing has got me wondering if the best times of music have long passed us by?

For example... just listen to these videos below and tell me who is putting out music this good nowadays?

Here's another "old guy" like me that seems to feel similarly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoWUtsVFV0

Please give me hope for the future of music!

Things were less glorious in "the old days" than you may remember. You could not just turn on the radio and expect to hear "the good stuff", especially here in Iowa. You were dependent on some clear channel station out of Katmandu playing after dark or MAYBE some once a week TV show that might get edgy once in a while. Or maybe you could sneak in a listen to an 8-track your friend's scary older brother scored in the city.

"Pop" music just hasn't ever been the pinnacle of listening enjoyment for everyone. You want the prime stuff? You need to be able to search it out. The wild diversity and quantity of music available makes that as tough as ever, but there are ways. So far I've been able to find some new music without subscribing to the disposable music sites like Apple Music and Spotify. I'm not sure how much longer I can get away with that.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Music is always evolving. There is good and bad stuff in every Era. Plus, we just have preferences. We just have the hindsight to drop most of the crap and keep the really good stuff along the way. One way that I try to keep up with the times is to watch the Grammys every year. I almost always run across someone I have never heard of but enjoy the songs and / or the music. For example, a few years ago when I saw-heard Lil Nils X for the first time, I was like "For Damn!" That is what it must have been like when Elvis came around. That being said, I am mostly a 60's Classic Rock - '70s Classic Pop - '80s New Wave-Punk fan. However, I have seen concerts as diverse as Paul McCartney to Edgar Winter to the Sex Pistols to Whitey Houston to Joe Jackson to Vanessa Williams to Hank Williams, Jr. Good is good!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Don't entirely disagree with the spirit of the thread but there's good newer music out there. I'm a Glass Animals fan.

And you can’t exactly take a pop phenomenon, compare it to some prog or alternative from the past and then claim music is dumb or simple now.

Any big pop music with massive appeal is going to be, well, pretty popish. There’s a skill to making catchy pop music that isn’t dumb. There are certainly progressions, chords, etc that are broadly appealing. Staying within those lines and keeping things interesting are skills. TS is good at it. I don’t like that music, but I don’t really like anything that falls into the pop category.

Chances are if a song has a bunch of diminished 7th chords and jazz/prog type stuff, it isn’t going to be a massive broad success.

Reactions: Gonzo

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
If you want some company...on your lawn, watch Rick Beato. He does some really cool stuff, but also loves to rag on current music. Given he's a long time music producer, he at least has some credentials.

Absolutely love Rick Beato's, "What Makes This Song Great?" series on YouTube.

He also does great interviews with musicians. I can get lost in his rabbit hole for hours.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Geezer here.

Meat Puppets are new? Backwater came out in the late 90s.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And you can’t exactly take a pop phenomenon, compare it to some prog or alternative from the past and then claim music is dumb or simple now.

Any big pop music with massive appeal is going to be, well, pretty popish. There’s a skill to making catchy pop music that isn’t dumb. There are certainly progressions, chords, etc that are broadly appealing. Staying within those lines and keeping things interesting are skills. TS is good at it. I don’t like that music, but I don’t really like anything that falls into the pop category.

Chances are if a song has a bunch of diminished 7th chords and jazz/prog type stuff, it isn’t going to be a massive broad success.
For many years I just instinctively poo-poo'd anything my daughters liked, and I still think a lot of that was justified, I'll never like anything Katy Perry does and seriously think she may be the anti-Christ when it comes to music. But as they've gotten older I find myself liking stuff that they're into. Best example of this is Billie Eilish. Sounds like you know a lot more about the intricacies of music than I do, and I don't know if Billie Eilish would be considered "pop" or something else, but I really like a lot of her stuff.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I feel like there has always been a pretty wide range of music quality. Feel like there is still a lot of good music out there and it is much easier to find lesser known bands now than it ever has been..

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
For many years I just instinctively poo-poo'd anything my daughters liked, and I still think a lot of that was justified, I'll never like anything Katy Perry does and seriously think she may be the anti-Christ when it comes to music. But as they've gotten older I find myself liking stuff that they're into. Best example of this is Billie Eilish. Sounds like you know a lot more about the intricacies of music than I do, and I don't know if Billie Eilish would be considered "pop" or something else, but I really like a lot of her stuff.

Billie Eilish is 10x better than Katy Perry IMO…. not even close. Perry is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But to each their own.

I will say that I do like some of Dua Lipa’s songs, but I think that’s mostly because they get me movin’! And that is definitely pop. And I love most of Michael Jackson’s stuff too.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
There is always ONE song! I love this song on which Katy Perry collaborates.

Reactions: Candide

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I’ll concede pop music isn’t exactly a progressive genre; someone point me to a modern rock act with the balls or ambition to compose a Bohemian Rhapsody, Free Bird, or November Rain. I’ll wait.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Off the off topic: when did classic rock become labeled 'classic rock'? Like was it called just rock in the 70s?
Yes, it was just called rock in the 70's. Probably mid 90's it was branded "classic" Rock due to Seattle sound, etc. I would say right around then is when Rock split into many different directions (70s & 80s were pretty much Rock, Heavy Metal and Pop in the Rock category).

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yes, it was just called rock in the 70's. Probably mid 90's it was branded "classic" Rock due to Seattle sound, etc. I would say right around then is when Rock split into many different directions (70s & 80s were pretty much Rock, Heavy Metal and Pop in the Rock category).

And wasn't it called "pop" at the time...as was the 80s music that people refer too...I mean..."pop" music is what is popular at that particular time...right? If it is in the Top 100...

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron