George Carlin's American Dream documentary

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Judging Carlin solely on his comedy and the time period it was released, I think he's a great comedian.

I like that he was always for the little guy. I like that he pointed out the hypocrisy in our government and society by telling the truth. And guess what? The truth is hilarious.

Did he influence the world of comedy? Maybe a little, but at least he was true to himself and about himself which is more than I can say for a lot of folks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ron Burgundy, Will Ferrell's character and not the CF poster, is "funny" because he is so stupid. Thats why Ron Burgundy the CF poster thinks he's funny. Like most Republicans, his sense of humor only extends as far as his superiority complex. He can laugh at people he thinks he's smarter than, but when someone starts using humor to point out the hypocrisy in a system that benefits him - Carlin, Colbert, Stewart - suddenly they "aren't funny." It's always okay to punch "down" (i.e. insult or bully) or "out" (i.e. attack people who are demographically similar but have different beliefs). That's Republican-funny. But the instant you say something that might require some introspection or self criticism, that's only Democrat-funny.

Republican "humor" is always based in malice.

FWIW his stuff about how trying to 'save the planet' would rile up plenty of folks who lean left.

I'm very much in the boat of caring for wildlife, and how absurd it is to directly pollute our own water sources and just say 'it is what it is' to absolve any care about it, but Carlin was right: (paraphrasing) one of these days the earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas and our existence really won't matter.

#teamundetectedmeteorite

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The story about the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva really shows that what's going on today is not all that surprising.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
FWIW his stuff about how trying to 'save the planet' would rile up plenty of folks who lean left.

I'm very much in the boat of caring for wildlife, and how absurd it is to directly pollute our own water sources and just say 'it is what it is' to absolve any care about it, but Carlin was right: (paraphrasing) one of these days the earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas and our existence really won't matter.

#teamundetectedmeteorite
I stumbled across one of his specials on Amazon last night and the opening skit was about airline security being too strict and nothing would really happen to worry about. Obviously, this was pre-911 and didn't age well. Same with the environmental stuff.

That said, everything needs examined in the context of the history of the time. He was funny.

• Dumb
Reactions: RonBurgundy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I knew nothing about his personal life before watching the first 1/2. I'm probably just in the wrong age group to find him extremely funny. My go to was Eddie Murphy.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I stumbled across one of his specials on Amazon last night and the opening skit was about airline security being too strict and nothing would really happen to worry about. Obviously, this was pre-911 and didn't age well. Same with the environmental stuff.

That said, everything needs examined in the context of the history of the time. He was funny.
Part of his schtick was being a contrarian. You won't always be right in that sense in fact usually your intentionally wrong in a way when you're trying to be a contrarian as an entertainer.