General Sickness

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Interesting, and believable. I wonder if it relates to changing demographics (ie aging mothers) and more high risk pregnancy? I haven’t looked at studies I just know my wife (who is an OB) trained at places where there was a concerted effort to decrease c section rates. And in the ob community there was a bit of a stereotype of older male OBs scheduling Friday c sections so they wouldn’t miss their weekend tee time :) (again, not trying to dump on male OBs here, the old school view of private practice OBs being on call for delivery 24/7 was insane and unsustainable)
There has been a major effort to reduce c-sections in certain areas but you’re right it’s very demographic dependent. There also is a big correlation that if a c-section is done during the first pregnancy then it’s more common for subsequent pregnancy’s to also be c-sections. Combine those factors and you get part of the picture. Your wife would for sure have more accurate info than I do on updated stats.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This is all correct and also very well stated. Just would like to add that there are a very wide range of reasons why a c-section is preferable and if you have one for whatever reason you aren’t doing anything wrong or harming the child by having one.

Always like to mention that because there is already enough pregnancy/new mother guilt to spread around without adding to it.
There are places such where child rape victims have no choice but to carry the child but they are not big enough to carry to term. That becomes a situation where both children’s lives are in danger and they eventually do a c-section with usually not great results. Not sure if there are statistics that track separately very young mothers worldwide.

I don’t know why girls are getting their period younger and younger but it doesn’t seem like a good thing.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
There are places such where child rape victims have no choice but to carry the child but they are not big enough to carry to term. That becomes a situation where both children’s lives are in danger and they eventually do a c-section with usually not great results. Not sure if there are statistics that track separately very young mothers worldwide.

I don’t know why girls are getting their period younger and younger but it doesn’t seem like a good thing.
Prevailing theory in the US is childhood obesity. Precocious puberty as a whole isn’t very well understood, there are number of theory’s and studies but nothing concrete. Very often the cause is never discovered unless it’s a tumor or something obvious.

• Informative
Reactions: carvers4math

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
No wondering here. It's called Antibody Dependent Enhancement.

Things are about to get Interesting. That's all.
Someone likes to make statements about things they clearly have no understanding of. There has been no evidence of Covid vaccines causing ADE.

Edit* also for that matter todays routinely recommending vaccinations do not cause ADE.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Speaking as a professional biomedical researcher here:

The best thing you can do is try to get involved with a patient advocacy/research foundation for your specific disease indication.

Regular clinical physicians are already overwhelmed with treating run-of-the-mill conditions. Plus, if the condition isn’t life threatening and can be avoided by avoiding triggers, it limits the urgency of the situation in the view of clinicians.

Medical researchers (a mix of MDs, MD/PhDs, and PhDs working at academic medical centers) are often open-minded, but are 100% limited in what they can do by research funding. Their job depends on getting research grants (read: getting money to do the research).

Many patients suffering from very rare or poorly understood conditions have at least generated helpful research/understanding/acceptance by banding together and supporting research grants that generate the scientific data that informs the whole medical community.
First, thank you very much for this thoughtful response. Yes, we've been in avoidance mode for the past several years. That aside, I find the problem being the 'funding' and, more abstractly, the 'liability' issues. Take me for example. I had cancer. I provided a very good background of my lifestyle to my medical team to try and assess what caused my cancer. They took the position of not committing to 'cause'. Heck, they wouldn't even theorize. However, throughout life science has taken the side (and sometimes the wrong side) in saying 'this' or 'that' can not cause cancer. I find that to be a sketchy paradox. Paraphrased: "we know this can't cause cancer", but "we can't tell you what caused your cancer". Now throw in 'funding' and 'liability' and I see a sketchy road in favor of the almighty dollar.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
tenor.gif

Remember in your 20s when you thought you just had a great immune system? And it turns out you weren't just operating on 3 yrs of fragmented sleep and a 2 yr old sneeze-coughing daycare tuberculosis straight into your corneas.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Remember in your 20s when you thought you just had a great immune system? And it turns out you weren't just operating on 3 yrs of fragmented sleep and a 2 yr old sneeze-coughing daycare tuberculosis straight into your corneas.
We have a bunch of 20 somethings in my department and its like a daycare in here with all of the constant disease. Best part? They love hanging around all of us older gents in our offices when they feel their worst.

I do remember as a 20 something feeling invincible. Went without insurance for a couple of years early on. Lucky I didnt get something crazy.

• Sad
Reactions: cowgirl836

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Speaking as a professional biomedical researcher here:

The best thing you can do is try to get involved with a patient advocacy/research foundation for your specific disease indication.

Regular clinical physicians are already overwhelmed with treating run-of-the-mill conditions. Plus, if the condition isn’t life threatening and can be avoided by avoiding triggers, it limits the urgency of the situation in the view of clinicians.

Medical researchers (a mix of MDs, MD/PhDs, and PhDs working at academic medical centers) are often open-minded, but are 100% limited in what they can do by research funding. Their job depends on getting research grants (read: getting money to do the research).

Many patients suffering from very rare or poorly understood conditions have at least generated helpful research/understanding/acceptance by banding together and supporting research grants that generate the scientific data that informs the whole medical community.
I recently just did some learning about this and it's honestly kind of scary how some of the smartest people in society have almost zero time to read and learn on their own and lean so much on others for accurate info.

Reactions: Bigman38

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It’s the microbiome.

There are specific types of bacteria living in the vaginal canal and also feces (babies often are exposed to mom’s poop during birth). Studies have already shown that vaginal birth babies end up with a bacterial community in their intestine that more closely resembles mom’s. Breastfeeding also plays a role in this. C section babies have a more variable and maybe environmentally-acquired group of bacteria.

Early life bacterial community in a baby is associated with long term health, development of allergy/asthma, etc. The science is still being worked out on this, but the general consensus is natural birth + breastfeeding is preferable (unless of course there is good reason for c section or formula)
Oh great. Now my wife has another thing to listen to me babble on about after looking into it to find out if what a professional says is true. Our first was an unplanned c-section and she wasn't much of a producer (she didn't think it was funny when potentially culling the herd was brought up). Another one in May that will be a c-section but hopefully production goes better mostly because then it makes zero sense for me to get up but also formula is expensive and a pain. It's been so nice just using whole milk.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
First, thank you very much for this thoughtful response. Yes, we've been in avoidance mode for the past several years. That aside, I find the problem being the 'funding' and, more abstractly, the 'liability' issues. Take me for example. I had cancer. I provided a very good background of my lifestyle to my medical team to try and assess what caused my cancer. They took the position of not committing to 'cause'. Heck, they wouldn't even theorize. However, throughout life science has taken the side (and sometimes the wrong side) in saying 'this' or 'that' can not cause cancer. I find that to be a sketchy paradox. Paraphrased: "we know this can't cause cancer", but "we can't tell you what caused your cancer". Now throw in 'funding' and 'liability' and I see a sketchy road in favor of the almighty dollar.
So I can see how you think that but in reality that really isn’t the case. We can’t tell you what caused your cancer because we don’t know. Take smoking for example, if someone gets diagnosed with lung cancer who was a pack a day smoker at best we can say the smoking directly contributed or was the likely cause of cancer but we can’t definitively state it because there are many others who smoke a pack a day who never get cancer. There are also going to be people who have never smoked in their lives who get lung cancer.

Once you have a diagnosis the goal is treatment and giving the patent the best quality of life possible. Trying to figure out what caused certain cancers in a low risk individual is needle in haystack territory. Maybe one day we will have advanced enough genetic testing but that is a very long way off.

I get how frustrating this is, so many patients want answers as to why/how but for the vast majority there just isn’t a why/how that we understand. This could be something in the future AI could process but right now those answers elude us.

• Winner
Reactions: nrg4isu

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I recently just did some learning about this and it's honestly kind of scary how some of the smartest people in society have almost zero time to read and learn on their own and lean so much on others for accurate info.
That’s where the mandatory continuing education comes into play. Plus things like M&M’s and other specialized updates.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prevailing theory in the US is childhood obesity. Precocious puberty as a whole isn’t very well understood, there are number of theory’s and studies but nothing concrete. Very often the cause is never discovered unless it’s a tumor or something obvious.

One theory I heard years ago was lower socioeconomic populations' diet of processed food basically ignited the hormones in children earlier.

The domino effect was the kids being out of their minds with these hormones, one thing led to another and then teenage pregnancy etc followed.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have a bunch of 20 somethings in my department and its like a daycare in here with all of the constant disease. Best part? They love hanging around all of us older gents in our offices when they feel their worst.

I do remember as a 20 something feeling invincible. Went without insurance for a couple of years early on. Lucky I didnt get something crazy.
I am not supposed to tell you this but...it is all part of our career advancement plans.

• Haha
Reactions: bos

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
One theory I heard years ago was lower socioeconomic populations' diet of processed food basically ignited the hormones in children earlier.

The domino effect was the kids being out of their minds with these hormones, one thing led to another and then teenage pregnancy etc followed.
Processed foods in and of themselves have no ability to “ignite” hormones, processed foods that lead to obesity can and processed foods that contain hormones (milk, chicken, etc) have also had studies done trying to show correlation but nothing definitive came from it.

Also teenage birth rates are at historic lows so that info isn’t accurate.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

It doesn’t help that the work culture in US dictates that if you’re not actively dying, you should probably be at work. People go to work sick all the time because of ****** sick leave policies and fear of not looking like a “team player”.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
It doesn’t help that the work culture in US dictates that if you’re not actively dying, you should probably be at work. People go to work sick all the time because of ****** sick leave policies and fear of not looking like a “team player”.

I had hope that Covid could help change that culture, but it's barely had any effect at all. My small team does pretty well with it; if someone says they're not heading into the office because they don't feel 100%, we take it in stride. But that seems to be rare in industry as a whole.