General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It's good to know you're the only one who knows anything about wrestling. I'll check back periodically to find out which Cyclones you think will lose their matches, since you are all over that issue all the time.
So you think Bastida will tech Keuter? Please let me know. Trying to get a running list of posters that I should never listen to their opinions.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
So you think Keuter who may be on the sideline on Saturday with no wrestling practice will show up Sunday in early December and compete at a high level at heavyweight. A weight he has never wrestled in his first college match of his career. That is the only scenario I’m talking about…no other.

If match happens in late January after Keuter has some practices under his belt and gets into wrestling shape is a total different outcome.

But go ahead show your projection superiority on a match that will not happen.

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone
Jun 1, 2018
So you think Bastida will tech Keuter? Please let me know. Trying to get a running list of posters that I should never listen to their opinions.
Do you even watch wrestling? Have you never seen a guy break and fall apart late in a match? Takedowns are worth 3 now, so 4-5 third period takedowns against a completely gassed true freshman should surprise nobody. Keuter is a complete stud, but high school wrestling and D1 college wrestling are different animals. If Bastida doesn't have his gas tank going it will be a close match.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

G-imJustafan

Sep 9, 2022
the 3 pt takedown will change the dynamic of many matches , i expect to see many more high scoring matches - the guys with high motors and gas tanks i assume will try to trade 3 for 1 all match and build big leads -

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
the 3 pt takedown will change the dynamic of many matches , i expect to see many more high scoring matches - the guys with high motors and gas tanks i assume will try to trade 3 for 1 all match and build big leads -
I'm a little surprised they didn't change the point differential criteria for majors & techs, but I'm willing to give it all a try. Just hope it doesn't lead to more defensive wrestling to avoid TDs from counters. I love aggressive offense & our team is built for that.

Cyclonefanatic3225

Oct 5, 2021
In no reality will Bastida tech Keuter. If he does I’ll donate $100 to the collective.

I may be wrong, but I can’t remember if Bastida has a TF to his name.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyCity

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Do you even watch wrestling? Have you never seen a guy break and fall apart late in a match? Takedowns are worth 3 now, so 4-5 third period takedowns against a completely gassed true freshman should surprise nobody. Keuter is a complete stud, but high school wrestling and D1 college wrestling are different animals. If Bastida doesn't have his gas tank going it will be a close match.
Bastida got two techs all of last year against guys wrestlestat had ranked in the mid-upper 100s. Keuter would be at minimum a top 20 heavy out of the gate. Bastida is not teaching him, ever (in folk).

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
His Iowa state bio shows he has 7 Techs
Just for context.

He does have 7 TFs in his career to date.
- 5 of them were 2 seasons ago; 2 last year
- The average WrestleStat ranking of opponent is 115
- The highest ranked opponent he has TF’d was Josh Loomer of CSU Bakersfield. Loomer was ranked #38 at the time (early season 2 seasons ago). The next highest was ranked #73. All others were ranked #123 or higher

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I am not saying Bastida would tech keuter, but you should rather check how many times Bastida won by major. Bastida hasn’t turned many people, which would account for lots of points. But he has done lots of td clinics on guys and gotten easy major decisions. Also, because takedowns are now 3 points, it would make bastida’s advantage even greater.

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
Also, I think Bastida would tech keuter. Keuter May be really good, but it takes a generational talent to succeed at the heavier weights early in a D1 college wrestling program.

Also, Keuter would not be in wrestling shape. Football players are tremendous athletes, but wrestling for 7 minutes against a grown man in wrestling shape is a tough hill to climb.

Keuter will be great if he ever makes it to the wrestling mat but it will take a bit of time.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Just for context.

He does have 7 TFs in his career to date.
- 5 of them were 2 seasons ago; 2 last year
- The average WrestleStat ranking of opponent is 115
- The highest ranked opponent he has TF’d was Josh Loomer of CSU Bakersfield. Loomer was ranked #38 at the time (early season 2 seasons ago). The next highest was ranked #73. All others were ranked #123 or higher
It’s hard to get TF with 2-1 exchanges. 3-1 may only take 4 TD with one 4-point NF. Total different dynamic.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I am not saying Bastida would tech keuter, but you should rather check how many times Bastida won by major. Bastida hasn’t turned many people, which would account for lots of points. But he has done lots of td clinics on guys and gotten easy major decisions. Also, because takedowns are now 3 points, it would make bastida’s advantage even greater.
The 3 point TD definitely helps a guy like Bastida turn a decision into a major and a major into a tech. 5 TDs in one match can go from 10-5 to 15-5. Metcalf would’ve thrived in this system I sure wish we had him as a coa…. Oh wait :)

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Kueter is good but wrestling 220 high school kids and grown men in college are not the same. For as good an athlete as Kueter is, Bastida is a better athletes.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
You guys are spending an awful lot of energy on a match that will never happen. That said, I would not bet against Ben Kueter. The guy is ranked #9 in the US on the Senior FS circuit. Dude is good. And we have seen Yonger at HWT a total of one time, so the moving up critique could be made for both men.

And this is just stupid:
For as good an athlete as Kueter is, Bastida is a better athletes.
BK has a case to be made as the best athlete ever to come out of the state of Iowa.

I want ISU to win as bad as anyone, but take your C&G glasses off.