MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Braves picked up Billy Hamilton off of waivers yesterday. I love it. With our injury problems lately, he can provide a little help in the outfield. There also probably isn't a better option for a pinch runner come October either. I've always liked BH.. so electric on the base paths.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Oaktown picked up a nice win at home against NYY last night. They're now tied for the second AL Wild Card spot with the Rays.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I thought the Rays had that spot locked up the way they were playing, but not so.
They're not very good at home (33-31 vs. 40-23 on the road), so they can't seem to pull away from the A's which has home and road records almost exactly opposite. If Tampa could figure out how to win in St. Pete, they'd be golden. I'm hoping that doesn't happen (and I do actually like the Rays). Would love to see October baseball in the East Bay again.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They're not very good at home (33-31 vs. 40-23 on the road), so they can't seem to pull away from the A's which has home and road records almost exactly opposite. If Tampa could figure out how to win in St. Pete, they'd be golden. I'm hoping that doesn't happen (and I do actually like the Rays). Would love to see October baseball in the East Bay again.

Been a Yankee fan since I was a little kid in the early 1960's and have always dreaded the west coast trips. Regardless of how good a team the Yanks have in any given year they never seem to do well on the far road trips, like .500 is the best. Of course, back than, I was struggling to even get the late scores the next day and now I can stream the game if I want to. Don't miss looking at the Wednesday morning paper looking for the Monday night box score. ;)

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Been a Yankee fan since I was a little kid in the early 1960's and have always dreaded the west coast trips. Regardless of how good a team the Yanks have in any given year they never seem to do well on the far road trips, like .500 is the best. Of course, back than, I was struggling to even get the late scores the next day and now I can stream the game if I want to. Don't miss looking at the Wednesday morning paper looking for the Monday night box score. ;)
We do Extra Innings so we can watch the Giants (and A's) broadcast of every game, except when they play the Twins, Royals, Cards, Cubs, WSox, or Brewers (F-you, MLB, for your blackout BS!!), but likely will do streaming starting next year. It's great when they play in a time zone OTHER than Pacific, so I can watch an entire game easily. Home games for either team suck for weeknight watching, since they're over long after I've reached the point of not being able to keep my eyes open. So, I feel your 'pain' completely.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We do Extra Innings so we can watch the Giants (and A's) broadcast of every game, except when they play the Twins, Royals, Cards, Cubs, WSox, or Brewers (F-you, MLB, for your blackout BS!!), but likely will do streaming starting next year. It's great when they play in a time zone OTHER than Pacific, so I can watch an entire game easily. Home games for either team suck for weeknight watching, since they're over long after I've reached the point of not being able to keep my eyes open. So, I feel your 'pain' completely.

The blackouts for Iowa just blow huge chunks. Here in Minnesota only the Twins are blocked out and anyone wanting to watch them can get them via Fox Sport Net. As a Yank fan I am only out three games a year for the Yankee streaming and I can watch those three for a few innings (that's about as many innings as I can stand **** Bremer and whatever bad color commentator is on with him).

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Giants are playing their way out of the post-season. Relief pitching stinks, as usual, so no big surprises. This has been the reason SF hasn't been able to put together any kind of successful streak for several years (not counting an out-of-character amazing July). Four Giants homered, they scored 11 runs, and they STILL couldn't win the game. Ugh.

Thankfully, Oakland took game 2 of the Yankees series last night (sorry, Boxster!) and are now just a half game from the top WC spot and still tied with the Rays for the second. A.J. Puk, from Cedar Rapids, made his first major league appearance for the A's last night.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Giants are playing their way out of the post-season. Relief pitching stinks, as usual, so no big surprises. This has been the reason SF hasn't been able to put together any kind of successful streak for several years (not counting an out-of-character amazing July). Four Giants homered, they scored 11 runs, and they STILL couldn't win the game. Ugh.

Thankfully, Oakland took game 2 of the Yankees series last night (sorry, Boxster!) and are now just a half game from the top WC spot and still tied with the Rays for the second. A.J. Puk, from Cedar Rapids, made his first major league appearance for the A's last night.
Well, tbh they probably did that back in April, May, and June lol.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Not really. They've been within 2-5 games back of the second WC spot for about six weeks.
Exactly. On June 27th they were 34-46, last place in their division, 20.5 games back of first, and one of the worst teams in baseball. They went on the hot streak of all hot streaks in July to get back into the WC hunt. If they play even .500 ball the first three months of the season then I would agree with you, but you guys were really bad. Streaming a pitcher playing the Giants in SanFran was a fantasy baseball person's wet dream for quite a while.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good bounce-back game so far for the Yankees. Up 8-2 end of 7 against the Dodgers. Wasn't expecting this against Ryu and his one point something ERA. Big Maple pitched great, not like the starters sucking in Oakland. Struck Bellinger out three times.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Good bounce-back game so far for the Yankees. Up 8-2 end of 7 against the Dodgers. Wasn't expecting this against Ryu and his one point something ERA. Big Maple pitched great, not like the starters sucking in Oakland. Struck Bellinger out three times.
Yanks win 10-2. Go for a sweep!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And the soccer flop comes to MLB courtesy of Dodger 2nd baseman Muncy. Was watching and thought, that's sucks to get hurt on that slide but it was a clean play at second. I mean he was writhing on the ground and then he's up and totally okay. But home plate ump called a timeout cause he looked hurt Torres was running home with he tying run. Sent him back. Muncy later admitted it was a soccer flop.

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-offense-falls-short-against-dodgers

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Man, am I glad I am not a fan of a west coast team. Yanks first pitch at Seattle isn't till 9:15 or so. So boring waiting to stream this.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kinda think the umps are starting to retaliate against the Yankees after several well publicized run-ins.

Last night per MLB news, motion a pitcher has used for two years is suddenly against the rules. Basically already discussed and okay'd earlier this year when he pitched for Seattle but now against the rules after the Yanks picked him up. o_O

The Yankees' Cory Gearrin received an unexpected mound visit from home-plate umpire Manny Gonzalez in the sixth inning, informing the reliever that the toe tap he uses is illegal. Gearrin protested, saying that he was cleared by Major League Baseball to use that motion earlier this season.

"I was told that it is legal," Gearrin said. "Really, I just have to get some sort of understanding. I'm sure we're going to reach out to the league and try to get clarification."

Gearrin, who based his motion on a more aggressive one used by Carter Capps, said he used the toe tap throughout 2018 without issue. It prompted a 15-minute delay during a May game between his Mariners and the Athletics, as the umpires utilized their replay headsets to check the rule book.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sad, but I think it's important to realize that many times your opioid users can really seem pretty functional and normal.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...ioids-alcohol-caused-death-of-angels-pitcher/

Went out Jimi Hendrix style, aspirating his own vomit and dying of asphyxia. Not the most dignified way of dying. :(

Been curious to see what was up with this. Young healthy athletes don't just drop dead in their sleep of natural causes unless it's a brain or aortic aneurysm or something like that.

Will be interested to see if the families allegation that an Angel's employee is responsible has any legs or if it's just family deflection.

Last edited: