MLB: General 2018 Major League Baseball Thread

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Or Sanchez and Bird both hitting .180. o_O

Rookies came up big. Andujar and Torres with 51 homers and 169 RBI. And out of nowhere almost-rookie Voit killing it in September. And Happ since the trade helped a bunch.
When the trade deadline was approaching and Happ (and Hamels) were likely to be made available, I really wanted the Brewers to go after one or both of them. Happ has been great as a Yankee (& Hamels has been great for the Cubs). When the Brewers lost Miley (for a little while) AND Suter for the rest of the year, I really worried if the Crew would be able to make the post season. I guess Stearns knew what he was doing. But STILL, I envied you guys getting Happ.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Rockies piss the bed tonight. We had won our last 8 games so kind of hard to ask a team to have to win it's last 10 games.
And the Giants relief pitching handed the hoks of baseball another win, so no help there either. Today will likely be no different. Hoping that both Colorado and SF can find a way to win and at least give the West title to someone new for a change.

While I'm sad that the regular season ends today, I'm kind of glad to not have to witness any more garbage performances by SF this season. It started out hopeful and looked promising into June and early July. The the injuries started to pile up and the wheels came off entirely. There's only so much the Sacramento River Cats can do against actual major league talent.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
And the Giants relief pitching handed the hoks of baseball another win, so no help there either. Today will likely be no different. Hoping that both Colorado and SF can find a way to win and at least give the West title to someone new for a change.

While I'm sad that the regular season ends today, I'm kind of glad to not have to witness any more garbage performances by SF this season. It started out hopeful and looked promising into June and early July. The the injuries started to pile up and the wheels came off entirely. There's only so much the Sacramento River Cats can do against actual major league talent.

Watched the LA/SF game via stream yesterday. It was insane to see that much blue in Pac Bell. The season may not have gone how you would of liked but your rival is coming in to town and you have a chance to spoil that and giants fans still can't show up.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Watched the LA/SF game via stream yesterday. It was insane to see that much blue in Pac Bell. The season may not have gone how you would of liked but your rival is coming in to town and you have a chance to spoil that and giants fans still can't show up.
Yup. It's usually not that bad when they play each other at AT&T. I could only watch bits and pieces of it because of all the Dodger fans. But I also get that people lose interest at the end of the season when your team is no longer in the hunt, so you put your tickets on Stubhub for a cheap price just to unload them. I would rather there just be empty seats, though, if that's the case.

That being said, Go Oakland A's!

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
looks like a doubleheader tomorrow. awesome.

Awesome to those on the outside. For those involved it will be watching while clutching a bottle of pepto bismol. At least in these games a loss isn't the end of season. Imagine a division title or season over scenario.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Awesome to those on the outside. For those involved it will be watching while clutching a bottle of pepto bismol. At least in these games a loss isn't the end of season. Imagine a division title or season over scenario.

Well, it is the 40th Anniversary on October 2 of the Yankee/Red Sox Bucky Dent home run game from 1978. These tiebreakers lack that since they aren't "loser go home games" so not much chance these will be remembered 40 years later unless someone pitches a no-hitter perfect game of something. Still, a lot on the line and the loser plays immediately in a loser goes home contest.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Well, it is the 40th Anniversary on October 2 of the Yankee/Red Sox Bucky Dent home run game from 1978. These tiebreakers lack that since they aren't "loser go home games" so not much chance these will be remembered 40 years later unless someone pitches a no-hitter perfect game of something. Still, a lot on the line and the loser plays immediately in a loser goes home contest.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
By all appearances, it looks like today was it for Joe Mauer. Walked off into the sunset wearing his catcher's gear after doubling in his last AB.
May not be a first ballot guy, but he'll be in the running. Let the HOF coffee shop talk begin.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
By all appearances, it looks like today was it for Joe Mauer. Walked off into the sunset wearing his catcher's gear after doubling in his last AB.
May not be a first ballot guy, but he'll be in the running. Let the HOF coffee shop talk begin.

I'll bite. I do think he is done based on the way the Twins played him this weekend.

If he retires now his case is not that strong. Outside of the three batting titles and the lifetime .306. Only 2000 hits and never drove in or scored 100 in any of his seasons.

Reminded me of one of my fav Yanks whose career was cut short. When I looked it up I was shocked :eek: at how Don Mattingly's career stats are almost identical to Mauer's. Mattingly is .307, Mauer is .306, and the rest of their stats are nearly identical except Mattingly hit more homers and Mauer has three batting titles to Mattingly's one. Mattingly also has a shelf full of Golden Gloves, nine, to Mauer's two. Mattingly had to retire (back) at 34 and Mauer may leave at 35.

Both of these guys looked like shoo-in for HOF when they were 26 or so, assuming they stayed healthy which neither did. Consensus is that Mattingly has NO shot at the HOF. You need 75% of the votes and the best he ever got was 28%.

Take a look at these graphic summaries and tell me that aren't mirror images for career stats!

upload_2018-9-30_17-51-39.png

upload_2018-9-30_17-52-11.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and VeloClone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Outside of the three batting titles and the lifetime .306....
]

There are obviously arguments against Mauer making the HOF, no doubt. The biggest argument for are those three batting titles, and a MVP-- as a catcher. Only catcher in the history of the game to do it.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I was rooting for the Brewers and Rockies to win the titles outright. Now I have to root for them to win tomorrow. It sucks that the games are so early in the day...gonna miss the Cubs game

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
giants throwing the game. disappointing

Nah, that's just how bad they became over the last six weeks. Seriously. A 15-0 loss at home to end the season is quite fitting for the way the bottom fell out of that team. But, you're correct: it's VERY disappointing. I could only manage to watch about two minutes of it (which was enough for LA to go up 2-0).

And, wow, look at those scores. Talk about phoning the games in for the losers. Yikes. All huge ******* blowouts.

Makes for a real fun day of baseball when you're a fan of a team on the losing end of all that. o_O

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yanks and Red Sox tied some opponents records yesterday.

Miguel Andujar's 47th double as a rookie tied Freddy Lynn's rookie record from 1975.

Mookie Betts is the first AL batting crown winner to also lead the league in extra base hits since Mickey Mantle's triple crown season of 1956. Mantle obviously had more homers in his year but Betts actually had more extra base hits. Mantle got MVP that year and so will Betts this year. It ain't even close for anyone else for MVP this year.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I was rooting for the Brewers and Rockies to win the titles outright....

The Brewers came through so now I hope the Rockies do as well. Would love to one of these two clubs in the WS against the Astros.

With Dozier not in the line-up, is he hurt or are the Dodgers just not playing his. 200 bat?