Gas or Charcoal?

What method do you prefer when you grill?

• Gas - as Hank Hill says "taste the meat not the heat"

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • Charcoal - just tastes better this way right?

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • Other - maybe you like the caveman way of grilling with an open fire on a rotisserie spit?

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
What, no electric option?

When I had a choice at my old place we used gas vast majority of the time, as we were normally doing simple stuff. Turn on gas grill, wait 5 minutes, grill food, turn off grill, eat. No ashes, no mess, no trying to manage heat, etc.

We did use charcoal sometimes on weekends and when we had a bunch of people over.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I have a gas grill, a Weber kettle and a gas smoker that I use charcoal and chips in. It all depends on how much time I want to spend on it. Weeknights are definitely gas.

I swore against gas grills until my wife brought hers with when moving in. **** they are easy to use.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Pellet grill for me. Allows for so may more options. Pizza, jerky, brisket, bacon (home cured), pork shoulder. WiFi option lets me start it, change the temps, set up cook profiles, set it to compensate for out side temps, lets me know when pellet level is low. Clean ashes out every 5-7 cook. Ability to grill or smoke.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Gas can get to 400 deg in 5 minutes and you don't have to get anything out of the shed or deck box.
With my charcoal I get the chimney, remove top grate, get the charcoal and pour in, light the newspaper, wait 20-30 min, then pour the charcoal out, put the chimney somewhere to cool off, then put the grate back on, then let it get to 400.

When done I shut off the gas tank and leave the lid open while I eat, when I'm done eating shut the lid and done.
When done with charcoal, I shut all the vents, it takes longer to cool down, then cleanup the ashes.
You are doing it all wrong. Send the Mrs. out early to get the charcoal going....

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
The A1 vs Heinz poll made me want to create this one as it is relevant to that debate.

I prefer to use charcoal whenever I can. It's all I use to grill or use in my offset smoker with some wood at home but for tailgating I use a small gas grill because charcoal is just too messy and a pain to deal with when you have to pack the grill in the back of your car.

I have a Weber kettle, Weber genesis and a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Best of everything. (nothing against pellets, just never used them except in a smoke tube. And I do use combinations start on one finish on another. The electric smoker is so easy to keep at temp. You can use a Texas crutch and throw in the Masterbuilt.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Weber Performer and really don't need to do half of this stuff. Charcoal is stored under the table. It has a gas assist to light it. While it is getting lit, I go inside and prep my food. Usually by the time I'm done prepping, my charcoal is ready so no time lost at all. When I'm done, I just close the vents and use the sweeper to sweep the ashes into the pan.

I do agree Gas is easier and quicker, but it isn't that much easier or quicker. Plus I love the versatility with charcoal that is a lot harder to replicate with gas.
I have a performer as well. Old school one with stainless side table, not the plastic ones now.
I replaced my Weber grate and got a Napolean iron grate below (I took the handles off). Very happy with it and it fits perfectly. I'll open the grate and throw a wood chunk on the hot coals once in a while.
weber-cast-iron-grill-grate-napoleon-cast-iron-hinged-grill-pro-series-750-cleaning-weber-cast-iron-grill-grates-best-way-to-clean-weber-cast-iron-grill-grates.jpg

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Charcoal for me. I will say that not all chimneys are created equal. Mine takes about 30 minutes to get going. Have noticed that the Weber version can cut that in half. My frustrations with my chimney lead me to develop a poor man’s BBQ Dragon. Take an electric heat gun and light the charcoal in about three places with it, then take a small auxiliary fan, point it where I want, and turn it on. Ready to cook in about 15 minutes tops - screaming hot. For the most part, this has put our gas grill out of business.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
With my gas grill, I can usually be almost done cooking in 15-20 minutes.

Plus, if you have a good gas grill, the smoke from the food drippings should vaporize and flavor your food.

A quality gas grill will also have less flare ups than charcoal. They problem is most people have crappy "big box" gas grill.

This is very long, but a pretty good article comparing the two options.... https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/how-to-buy-a-grill/charcoal-vs-gas

Last edited:

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Own a gas grill and charcoal smoker.

Prefer the flavor of charcoal, however, when it comes to grilling the time savings of gas is worth it to me.

I can get charcoal ready in 15 minures (or less). Use a chimney starter, lighter fluid and a leaf blower. Works like a blacksmith’s bellows!

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Charcoal, period. I've never used a chimney and it normally takes 15 min for coals to be ready...I feel like some people may be doing it wrong.....

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
You should be able to get your coals hot enough to start grilling in about 10-15 minutes if you use a charcoal chimney to start them. Keeps the briquettes confined where they will heat up faster. Once I dump mine out and put the grill grate on by the time I go inside and get the meat it's ready to go.

077924073939.jpg

Charcoal chimney is efficient, but I like the "art" of stacking the coal pyramid.

For the poll query, I like gas grill for ability to cook multiple items and control the temperature more effectively. But I do like the laid-back aspects of charcoal grilling process.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I can get charcoal ready in 15 minures (or less). Use a chimney starter, lighter fluid and a leaf blower. Works like a blacksmith’s bellows!

I think there’s a much bigger learning curve for charcoal. Also: others have said similar things, but I have 3 kids, ages 2-6. I’m pulling food off of the gas grill in 15 minutes or less. Turn the knob, click, fire. Leaf blower? Bellows? Nah.

Is the charcoal flavor better? Yeah, probably. Will I make the tradeoff for the next ~10 years. Absolutely.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
You are doing it all wrong. Send the Mrs. out early to get the charcoal going....

HA! Like I'm letting her get near the grill..

I think some of the charcoal lovers are underestimating the total time involved with charcoal vs gas. I say this as someone who prefers the taste/experience of charcoal over gas when I'm able. That's usually only weekends with 2 young kids.

By the time I get home from picking the youngest up from daycare it's ~5:30 and everyone is already ready to eat. Take the cover off the grill, turn it on, go inside & spice up the meat, and it's ready to go. Everyone is eating by 6. Then no cleanup after, & grill is ready to cover 30 minutes after cooking. As far as convenience goes, there's no contest.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

I can have my food ready in 15-20 minutes, don't have to worry about the coals staying hot, cleaning the ash or worrying about little ones.

Not worth my time right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Charcoal for me. I will say that not all chimneys are created equal. Mine takes about 30 minutes to get going. Have noticed that the Weber version can cut that in half. My frustrations with my chimney lead me to develop a poor man’s BBQ Dragon. Take an electric heat gun and light the charcoal in about three places with it, then take a small auxiliary fan, point it where I want, and turn it on. Ready to cook in about 15 minutes tops - screaming hot. For the most part, this has put our gas grill out of business.
An electric heat gun and a fan? I'm not saying that's a lot of work, I just think if I had to do that during the weeknights and still do coal stacking and cleanup, I would use the gas grill.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm actually surprised at the results on this. I thought it would turn out something like 75/25 in favor of gas. All my neighbors have gas grills it seems like, I haven't seen anyone within a block or so that I can see has charcoal.