Garza declares for the NBA

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Late to the thread but the best NBA comparison for Garza is Enes Kanter and teams are slowly but surely moving away from playing guys like that. I don't see an NBA future for Garza, but would be happy to be wrong so that we don't have to face him next year.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Garza’s lack of athletic ability shouldn’t be an issue in the NBA. Teams can just play zone to hide his terrible defense...

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
I know you’re really young. But that accolade belongs to either Don Nelson or Ronnie Lester, with honorable mentions to Sam Williams. Fred Brown, John Johnson, bj Armstrong and Roy marble.
Lester, BJ, and Roy had CAREERS at Iowa- Garza had a season. I'm not old enough to have watched the other guys but three of them were really good in the NBA. I think Downtown was a JUCO and maybe only played two years?

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Cyclone fans always living in the past. Hard to blame them when the present and future are so bleak.
Someone wanted to know our last AA who left early- there's your answer. Do you want to stack the two programs' results against each other since 2000 so it would be more recent? You finally have a season where you are clearly better and we're just going to forget the last twenty years?

FightForIowa

Apr 9, 2020
Someone wanted to know our last AA who left early- there's your answer. Do you want to stack the two programs' results against each other since 2000 so it would be more recent? You finally have a season where you are clearly better and we're just going to forget the last twenty years?

I agree that ISU has the better program. Give Prohm a little more time and that won't be the case.

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
I agree that ISU has the better program. Give Prohm a little more time and that won't be the case.
Maybe- time will tell- certainly there have plenty of times in the last decade where both fanbases felt Fran was near the end. Maybe he’s building something, maybe he caught lightning in a bottle this year. Duke was ready to let K go after 2-3 years but I’ll bet they’re glad now that they didn’t. Different era- if Prohm doesn’t deliver next year, he’ll probably be let go. And if so, ISU bb will return to better times with the next guy, or the next...look at you guys- 20 years after TD, three coaches, and you’re still not where you were in 1999. ISU and IA are not KU or Michigan State- they’ll never disappear but won’t top the blue bloods most years either.
One thing that can’t be argued is which program’s first family is the bigger eye sore on their university.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Saw comparisons to Lopez and Niang in this thread. Garza is what 6'10? Lopez is over 7'. Niang is more skilled all around than Garza. Not sure if Garza is going to be an NBA player. Maybe if he works on speed and agility he could stick somewhere. Probably going to spend a lot of time in the D-League.
I made the original statement about Lopez.
Lopez 7'0", 270 now, was 260 when drafted.
Garza 6'11, 265

Lopez does not and never had great athleticism. Early in his career Lopez was skilled around the basket but did not develop as a 3 pt shooter until he had been in the NBA Several years. His last year in college he did not make a 3, and I don't think he made a 3 until his 6th or 7th season in the NBA.

My point was that if Lopez can play well over a decade and average 17 ppg, be an All-Star, I think there's a role for a guy like Garza somewhere in the NBA and I could see him getting picked in the second round.

Last edited:

Mick Mars

Mar 19, 2017
Steve is a good guy and goes to church. He can't build a roster for **** but he's a nice guy.
Tom Davis was a first class guy and he won more than Fran. Hawk fans have lowered the bar on what they want out of their program while accepting embarrassing behavior. You can’t even claim the end justifies the means. I’m willing to wait this year and see if Prohm can’t build a roster. One more year of IA being clearly better than ISU won’t mean the end of the rivalry. That would still only be 2 out of the last 22.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Thread on Haliburton declaring for the draft on an ISU message board= 4 pages.

Thread on Garza declaring for the draft on an ISU message board= 10 pages and counting.

For some reason, I am not surprised.

Probably has nothing to do with trolls throwing shade.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Lester, BJ, and Roy had CAREERS at Iowa- Garza had a season. I'm not old enough to have watched the other guys but three of them were really good in the NBA. I think Downtown was a JUCO and maybe only played two years?
Think you’re right about Freddy Brown... won a championship with the Sonics. When the NBA finals was on tape delay if you can believe that