Garage door issue

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Have a problem with an older garage door at my rental home. It's been out of whack for a while, but has always worked. Now, it gets to the bottom and the one side gets ahead of the other, and the higher side just drops the last 6", resulting in the door opening back up. The other problem is that, through forcing it down like that, the top panel that attaches to the opener starts to bend when it gets to pushing too hard.

One of the springs on the side that isn't dropping fast enough evidently broke at some point, and someone put an "S" hook through the spring to keep it working, but I'm wondering if that is contributing to it being too tight as it gets to the bottom.

Anyway.......anyone know if you can mount a brace to keep the door from bending like that (assuming that I can fix where it's binding up) or know a good garage door company that I can call? Plus a general idea of what a new door costs, installed? It's a two car detached, doesn't need to be insulated. Thanks!

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
My dad had an old insulated door that needed to be replaced. I don't recall the cost, but he had a Wayne Dalton guy come in from Ankeny and replaced the door. Included new tracks and springs. I want to say it was in the $300 range, but I don't know for sure. Give them a call. If you have the measurements of the door opening, they should be able to give you a quote over the phone. Includes disposal of the old door too.