Game of Thrones Season 5

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I have read all the books, up through the 5th book and so far I am upset with this season as well. Not because of bad acting but more because it seems they have left out some very big characters/plotlines that I saw as being hue for the coming books. It makes me upset because while I was reading I thought they were going to be huge going forward in the Song of Fire and Ice series, but the fact they left them out in the show makes me wonder if they are significant at all in the coming books. I wont say which ones, but I am sure the people who have read them know what I am talking about. C- grade so far for this seaso.

It has been well documented that the TV series starting with this season is taking a very large divergence from the books. About the only two story lines that are for the most part untouched as of right now are the Wall and Cersei's story - and all that can change very quickly. Sansa's and Littlefinger's stories are beyond canon now and going in a completely different direction than what Martin has released in his preview chapters. Tyrion is taking a very different route to get to Meereen, and ultimately they're going to have to rewrite what happens in King's Landing to some extent because Varys is accompanying Tyrion there. We're not even going to get introduced to to Arianne Martel because they're only going to do the Sand Snakes (and when you get right down to it she's basically a useless character in the books other than to explain certain things about Dorne as they introduce it to us in the upcoming weeks).

If you are looking for book purity in the TV show, you might as well stop watching now. They've already said the TV show is going in a different direction.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
It has been well documented that the TV series starting with this season is taking a very large divergence from the books. About the only two story lines that are for the most part untouched as of right now are the Wall and Cersei's story - and all that can change very quickly. Sansa's and Littlefinger's stories are beyond canon now and going in a completely different direction than what Martin has released in his preview chapters. Tyrion is taking a very different route to get to Meereen, and ultimately they're going to have to rewrite what happens in King's Landing to some extent because Varys is accompanying Tyrion there. We're not even going to get introduced to to Arianne Martel because they're only going to do the Sand Snakes (and when you get right down to it she's basically a useless character in the books other than to explain certain things about Dorne as they introduce it to us in the upcoming weeks).

If you are looking for book purity in the TV show, you might as well stop watching now. They've already said the TV show is going in a different direction.

Arya's storyline is still intact from what I remember of the books.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Arya's storyline is still intact from what I remember of the books.

in that she made it to the House of Black and White, yes. But Jaqen H'ghar's presence is a departure. In the books, he's up to something else.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not great episodes by GoT standards or maybe I am spoiled and have unrealistic expectations.

Lots and lots of table setting still so maybe **** will start gettin' real soon!

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
in that she made it to the House of Black and White, yes. But Jaqen H'ghar's presence is a departure. In the books, he's up to something else.

I noticed this as well last night, but from a TV perspective it makes sense that he will be her mentor vs having to flesh out another character like in the books. I don't really have a problem with it. The Littlefinger / Sansa storyline will be interesting as that wasn't in the books. I'm still pretty disappointed they won't be using Lady Stoneheart in the TV series.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I noticed this as well last night, but from a TV perspective it makes sense that he will be her mentor vs having to flesh out another character like in the books. I don't really have a problem with it. The Littlefinger / Sansa storyline will be interesting as that wasn't in the books. I'm still pretty disappointed they won't be using Lady Stoneheart in the TV series.

I don't mind LSH being cut. Cutting the Greyjoys (Theon's uncles) and the Griffs are bigger crimes.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't mind LSH being cut. Cutting the Greyjoys (Theon's uncles) and the Griffs are bigger crimes.

Victarion needed to be on TV. Imagine how cool his armor would have been. Dude would have been a fan favorite based on sheer badassery

Attachments

• illqstbwzkifuvhbokql.jpg
    illqstbwzkifuvhbokql.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Victarion needed to be on TV. Imagine how cool his armor would have been. Dude would have been a fan favorite based on sheer badassery

Perhaps he will be - it wouldn't happen until later this season or next season anyway.

Then there's the bat-**** crazy theory about Euron. (DO NOT click if you don't want spoilers)
http://youtu.be/Crn_eg-1ekU

However, I'm more than okay with them cutting out the vast majority of the Iron Isles story from the books. All it did was put Asha/Yara into place (which in the TV series she already is) and launch Euron and Victarion (both of whom we may never see)

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I guess I'm not too upset about the changes from the book. Some of the things changing are what annoyed me in the books, like Tyrion's journey, that was, ugh. In a way, I think GOT is still headed to the same end, but removing extraneous bits. Let's face it, the books had too many characters as it was, so removing a few should make it a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Though, I just can't see how the books finish before the series, especially now that GRRM is talking about needing 8 books instead of 7. :-(

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Not great episodes by GoT standards or maybe I am spoiled and have unrealistic expectations.

Lots and lots of table setting still so maybe **** will start gettin' real soon!

I think the problem is they've wrapped a lot of arcs in people's lives up in the last season and a half so we are having to reload and reset, which is kind of slow. Just think about what we've wrapped up - red wedding, purple wedding, battle at the wall, battle of black water, mountain vs viper, Jamie coming back to kings landing, Jon snow's entire wilding fling, bran finding the 3 eyed raven, the hound and arya traveling road show, danerys and her march around slavers bay, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

I will agree it's been a little slow the first two episodes, but if you look how far back the flashbacks are going before the start of an episode you can tell they are putting an effort into rebuilding and tieing together story lines.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
Usually I'm a book purist, but I agree with many of the changes that are being made. Others I don't agree with, but understand.

The 4th and 5th books were unfilmable if they were going to adhere to them strictly. There were way too many characters to introduce. Although part of me suspects that we will see more of the Greyjoys next year... I think they just didn't want to introduce so many new characters at once this season.

I like the way they have handled Brienne's storyline so far, and I'm reserving judgement on Sansa's storyline. I have suspicions they will fulfill certain roles in Winterfell later in the season that were fulfilled by other characters in the books.

The only thing I really don't like is the modification of Tyrion and Varys's storylines... those modifications and the exclusion of the "Griffs" make little sense especially in light of things said by Varys in the first season.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Really thought I had stumbled into the book thread for a second there.

My only gripe is that they're trying to fit about 12 different storylines into each episode at this point and it makes everything feel rushed.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
They need 15 episode seasons.

I do hope when they finish the story, they make a prequel show based on the mad kings role and the rebellion. Would be cool.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Really thought I had stumbled into the book thread for a second there.

My only gripe is that they're trying to fit about 12 different storylines into each episode at this point and it makes everything feel rushed.

It should be more like 20. Good decision as others stated.

I enjoy the books, but I think I'd have liked them more if they followed this streamlining just a bit.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They need 15 episode seasons.

I do hope when they finish the story, they make a prequel show based on the mad kings role and the rebellion. Would be cool.

Game of Thrones: Robert Baratheon Before He Got Fat

You're welcome for the assist HBO.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It seems a peequel would work well as a miniseries or a couple movies. Maybe a fall or summer deal to keep people interested (and keep their subscription).

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
It seems a peequel would work well as a miniseries or a couple movies. Maybe a fall or summer deal to keep people interested (and keep their subscription).
You would need do a few seasons at least to cover Tywin as hand and the later rebellion. Way too much good stuff to leave out.

Help Support Us

Become a patron