Gable's commentary at the center of IPTV issue

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
completely off topic here but did anyone know that bobby douglas actually beat dan gable in freestyle competition something like 10-1? funny how gable only ever mentions losing to larry owings

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
LIKE I SAID BOYS ITS THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER MADE AT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY RE WRESTLING...AND DONT LOOK NOW BUT YOUR STILL PAYING FOR THAT STUPID MISTAKE..

AT LEAST I CAN GIVE POLLARD CREDIT FOR GETTING RID OF ALL THE DEADWOOD IN THE ATHLETIC DEPT...AKA MC CARNEY DOUGLAS AND MORGAN!!!!!

SOME ONE NEEDS TO DO A POLL ON THE NEXT TIME THE WRESTLING TEAM WILL ACTUALLY BEAT THE HAWKS!!!!

so is Dan your grandpa or something? are we hard of hearing?

at the time the right decision was made. Period. to argue otherwise is well, unwise.

-keep

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
completely off topic here but did anyone know that bobby douglas actually beat dan gable in freestyle competition something like 10-1? funny how gable only ever mentions losing to larry owings

Owings was his only loss in collegiate competition. He lost to Douglas on the international freestyle wrestling circuit. He lost to some other people there, too.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
LIKE I SAID BOYS ITS THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER MADE AT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY RE WRESTLING...AND DONT LOOK NOW BUT YOUR STILL PAYING FOR THAT STUPID MISTAKE..

AT LEAST I CAN GIVE POLLARD CREDIT FOR GETTING RID OF ALL THE DEADWOOD IN THE ATHLETIC DEPT...AKA MC CARNEY DOUGLAS AND MORGAN!!!!!

SOME ONE NEEDS TO DO A POLL ON THE NEXT TIME THE WRESTLING TEAM WILL ACTUALLY BEAT THE HAWKS!!!!

While Douglas was no Gable or Nichols he wasn't exactly dead weight either - how do you call someone who kept a program in the top 5 in the nation dead weight? Go sit in your tower...
:realmad:

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Look at the performances of the some of the teams that Douglas had.

His teams underperformed on a regular basis. We finished as high as #2 in the nationals. Why #2? Because we were out wrestled in the consolation rounds. We had the lead going into them and when we came out on the other side Iowa had wrapped it up before the Finals were ever started.

Take a look at the seedings of his wrestlers and then where they finished in the tourney. It was not uncommon for us to have a wrestler finish lower than his seed.

For the first and only time we finished LAST in the Big XII tourney. How does a program with the pedigree of ISU's fall that far?

We lost to Mizzou for the first time in decades under his watch. Now, this was before Mizzou became a national power.

One last thing. Why is it that in football people constantly remind us of the 15 years of losing to Iowa? In wrestling we had a 30+ meet losing streak to them.

I have to believe that he was kept around just to keep the seat warm for Cael. Had Cael not been a Cyclone, then Douglas would have been out of here before Cael took over.

Remember one other thing, he came to ISU following a scandal at ASU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron